• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF men's basketball have "Sleeping Giant" potential IF it can sustain some success?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,554
  • Days Won:  28

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

First, you moved the goal post limiting it to the same recruiting class. Second, there's only 6, not 9, who averaged double figures (giving you the one at 9.2 ppg). There were 6 transfers with double figures at previous stops on the roster last year.

Look, I think that CAAR's done a pretty good to great job with USF MMB's annual pastime, rebuilding the roster ... helped out immensely by being able to bring 4 players with him. The only thing that gives me a little pause is that he only recruited one high schooler directly to us ..... but that was a **** impressive one, though ... and maybe this is the new college hoops landscape that differs from when CBG had to rebuild his first roster here.

CAAR only has 1 recruiting class, so that is the standard I'm using. My bad, he had 9 transfers and 6 had double digits in their previous stops. And yea I'm counting the 9.2 scoring average (do something about it! lol) I went through Gregory's transfers and maybe 4 total that had double figures in their previous stops in the past 3 years. To his defense, he had a lot more high school recruits. My point was that CAAR's recruiting strategy is different from Gregory's. One, he replaced about 80% of the team and 6 of them averaged double digits or started at their last stop. The players on the list ALL had a field goal percentage of 40% and up. A handful is 40%, 3pt shooters. Gregory took players off of another team's bench. CAAR is taking transfers that actually played or started. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

54 minutes ago, Triple B said:

There should absolutely be expectations by those that hire the coach ....

I could see this coming five posts away..  :roflmao:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I could see this coming five posts away..  :roflmao:

***, I hate being predictable ...... but I did see your "Haha" emoji vote coming as soon as I posted that, too

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  2

The is USF men's basketball we are talking about.  We should expect nothing from them and we will be pleasantly surprised once every couple decades.  That's just how it goes.

2 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I went through Gregory's transfers and maybe 4 total that had double figures in their previous stops in the past 3 years.

You're killing me ...... From last year's team alone, Miguel, Hines, Bryant, Patrick, Boggs and Harris all had double figures in their previous stops. This is probably just more evidence, though, that it was time to hand the reins to someone else.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,132
  • Days Won:  56

If he has his head on and applies himself, I think we’ll be talking a lot about Malique Ewin. If you go look up his high school films, you’ll see a freakish athlete - a 6-9 big who has a guard’s handle in the open court. Coach needs to get Ewin and Corey Walker to play consistently to their talent level. If that happens, we’ll have something to discuss.

X3FFVOBWBNG7BJDKRZMG2DUJ24.JPG
WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

Only three Bulls players from last season remain on the 2023-24 squad.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,132
  • Days Won:  56

On film, it would be tough to argue that this isn’t the best-looking big man we’ve seen USF bring in. Much more athletic than Gus Gilchrist. Maybe Victor Rudd?

Edited by Dave_Glaser

42 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

We should always have high expectations. I think if we don't it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It can only become a self-fulling prophecy if it's the team without high expectations. Fans have zero affect on the team fulfilling any expectations. I'm assuming every team has high expectations going into a season until, for some, reality sets in ...