• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF men's basketball have "Sleeping Giant" potential IF it can sustain some success?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm hoping Coach runs an offense that creates opportunity on offense

.... and has the players to take advantage of those opportunities on a more regular basis at this level.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Just now, Triple B said:

.... and has the players to take advantage of those opportunities on a more regular basis at this level.

Isn't he bringing many of his players...he should know.  If he can't bring players at the CBG level....

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Isn't he bringing many of his players...he should know.  If he can't bring players at the CBG level....

One can't really know if they're going to perform here like at their previous spots until given the opportunity ... he obviously thinks they can.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

He should know if players he recruits can play at this or whatever relevant level.  

These things really aren’t left to chance. 

We don’t hire a coach to just see what happens, there are/should be expectations.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

CBG brought in plenty who'd averaged double figures at previous schools but all didn't pan out here. Hopefully CAAR's able to tap in to his .... and the rest.

Not at the same time like this class. This is 9 players in the same recruiting class. 

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

My two cents is we have had a major retention problem for years.  We are not going to be getting the top level talent. However, there is enough talented players that we have access to that could help us turn this program around.  We have not been able to keep a roster together long enough to build momentum, maybe that never changes now with the transfer rule.  I think it has more to do with the coaching staff that was in place not able to recruit the right skills for whatever system we ran, we couldn't develop, and we had no long term vision.  I think the players always knew that, which is why the high turnover.  It is the coaches job to sell the vision.  There are so many players out there it really boils down to having the right coach.  Like another poster said we really have not been a very good program consistently since we started.  Lee Rose had some very good years.  Paschal, Greenburg, and Heath the only coaches to get us to the NCAA tournament.  I wasn't around for the Lee Rose days.  Paschal teams had a gritty identity and tons of heart, Greenburg had talented players and a fun system but never could get over the hump, Coach Heath had a great run with a few talented players and great team defense.  It all comes down to coaching and putting players in position to enhance their strengths and minimize their weakness. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, monktified said:

Paschal, Greenburg, and Heath the only coaches to get us to the NCAA tournament.

???

I must have missed that one.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Brad said:

We don’t hire a coach to just see what happens, there are/should be expectations.  

There should absolutely be expectations by those that hire the coach ....

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

10 hours ago, Brad said:

We don’t hire a coach to just see what happens…

Although it may seem like that lately.  😀

6 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Not at the same time like this class. This is 9 players in the same recruiting class. 

First, you moved the goal post limiting it to the same recruiting class. Second, there's only 6, not 9, who averaged double figures (giving you the one at 9.2 ppg). There were 6 transfers with double figures at previous stops on the roster last year.

Look, I think that CAAR's done a pretty good to great job with USF MMB's annual pastime, rebuilding the roster ... helped out immensely by being able to bring 4 players with him. The only thing that gives me a little pause is that he only recruited one high schooler directly to us ..... but that was a **** impressive one, though ... and maybe this is the new college hoops landscape that differs from when CBG had to rebuild his first roster here.