• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF men's basketball have "Sleeping Giant" potential IF it can sustain some success?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,866
  • Days Won:  67

16 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Jake Boggs shot 44% from 3 at UNC Wilmington the season before he came to USF (29% for us). D.J. Patrick also shot 44% at Triton College (also 29% for us) the year we signed him. I’m encouraged by the guys we have, but there’s no guarantee the numbers translate to the AAC.

Exactly, I shoot really well against poor competition and not as well against better competition, maybe I am an aberration 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  770
  • Days Won:  2

12 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Jake Boggs shot 44% from 3 at UNC Wilmington the season before he came to USF (29% for us). D.J. Patrick also shot 44% at Triton College (also 29% for us) the year we signed him. I’m encouraged by the guys we have, but there’s no guarantee the numbers translate to the AAC.

I know that they both shot better from deep the year before they arrived; however, they both shot better from the FT line as well. Patrick shot 80% at Triton College then shot 50% here. Boggs averaged 77% from the FT line but averaged under 50% here. I would think that strength of conference has nothing to do with the ability to shoot from the FT line. There was something going on with those two that I cannot explain. Maybe it was playing for CBG. Like I said before, players seemed to regress while playing for him.

4 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I know that they both shot better from deep the year before they arrived; however, they both shot better from the FT line as well. Patrick shot 80% at Triton College then shot 50% here. Boggs averaged 77% from the FT line but averaged under 50% here. I would think that strength of conference has nothing to do with the ability to shoot from the FT line. There was something going on with those two that I cannot explain. Maybe it was playing for CBG. Like I said before, players seemed to regress while playing for him.

Curiously, as I wrote this, I thought about David Collins; so, I decided to look at his stats while he was here. As a freshman in CBG's first year at USF, Collins averaged 24.7 minutes per game. His FG% was 49.7, FT% was 71.7%, 3PT% was 41.7%. He averaged 10 pts per game.

In his second season, his playing time increased to 33.6 minutes per game, and he averaged 15.9 pts per game, which is not surprising, giving his increased playing time. What is surprising, however, is that his FG% and 3PT% both decreased by about 10% points, while his FT% only dropped by 1.5%. In his junior season, his scoring average dropped a couple points, and his FG% stayed the same, but his 3PT% dropped another 6% to 25.8%, and his FT% dropped to 65%. In his senior season, his 3PT% jumped back up to 37%; however his FT% further declined to 55% and his scoring averaged dropped to 12.5. The overall trend for his career after his sophomore season was a decline in statistical offensive numbers. On one hand, I find this interesting; however, on the other hand, I have seen other players regressed year over year under CBG.

1 minute ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Curiously, as I wrote this, I thought about David Collins; so, I decided to look at his stats while he was here. As a freshman in CBG's first year at USF, Collins averaged 24.7 minutes per game. His FG% was 49.7, FT% was 71.7%, 3PT% was 41.7%. He averaged 10 pts per game.

In his second season, his playing time increased to 33.6 minutes per game, and he averaged 15.9 pts per game, which is not surprising, giving his increased playing time. What is surprising, however, is that his FG% and 3PT% both decreased by about 10% points, while his FT% only dropped by 1.5%. In his junior season, his scoring average dropped a couple points, and his FG% stayed the same, but his 3PT% dropped another 6% to 25.8%, and his FT% dropped to 65%. In his senior season, his 3PT% jumped back up to 37%; however his FT% further declined to 55% and his scoring averaged dropped to 12.5. The overall trend for his career after his sophomore season was a decline in statistical offensive numbers. On one hand, I find this interesting; however, on the other hand, I have seen other players regressed year over year under CBG.

I forgot to add that, while playing his final season at Clemson, Collins' numbers improved. His FG% was 51.1, 3PT% was 38%, and FT% was 60%. His turnovers also came in under 2 per game for the first time in his career. Collins accomplished this while playing for a better team in a tougher conference. I think that this is more evidence that the coach and the system can drastically change how one performs.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

9 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I forgot to add that, while playing his final season at Clemson, Collins' numbers improved. His FG% was 51.1, 3PT% was 38%, and FT% was 60%. His turnovers also came in under 2 per game for the first time in his career. Collins accomplished this while playing for a better team in a tougher conference. I think that this is more evidence that the coach and the system can drastically change how one performs.

Cherry picking stats can distort things a bit at times. Collins overall performance did not drastically change from his last year here to his year at Clemson. His FG% did improve to .511 from .420 here, but that was on 2.3 less shots per game, so if there was any change there it was improved shot selection over here, which was horrible. His 3PT% went from .373 here to .380 there ... FT% went from .556 here to .598 there .... not much of a change. His turnovers did drop from 3.2 to 1.9 but his assists also dropped from 3.4 to 2.3. Where there was a drastic change was that he doubled his rebounds from 3.5 to 6.9. His PPG dropped from 12.5 to 10.3 .................. and the sos, the way they figure it, he played against here was 6.27, there 6.31, so relatively close.

Bottom line though, for whatever reason, CBG couldn't replicate the success he had elsewhere here and we've moved on. One leg up CAAR has is the bringing of the 3 players who had success in his system with him and we're hoping that success continues going against a higher level of competition ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

@Peatearpan, et al

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  3

39 minutes ago, Brad said:

@Peatearpan, et al

Thanks for remembering, Brad!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

19 hours ago, Friscobull said:
19 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Exactly, I shoot really well against poor competition and not as well against better competition, maybe I am an aberration 

Yeah, I'm the kind of shooter where even my one-on-none game is suspect.

Basketball GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

• Haha 1