• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF men's basketball have "Sleeping Giant" potential IF it can sustain some success?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,545
  • Days Won:  25

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Been around about as long as you have and hope like heck your unbridled optimism comes to fruition and CAAR gets us out of the doldrums we've been in ...... but I've seen enough through the years that I'll get excited when these players replicate their success elsewhere in the green and gold for an extended period of time..

So trips is the original usf doomer hidden in plain disguise. These players he brought in did a good job in the tournament  using his system. That is the best hope we can get. Players that put up good numbers for a coach in the tournament coming to play for that coach. It is possible for a coach/player combo to to a new school and have success.  Hopefully it has the Williams and Riley effect to usc rather than the Clemson players that followed   their  coach to usf. Williams was high impact had Ok and Usc. Let's hope these guys do the same thing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

So trips is the original usf doomer hidden in plain disguise.

Nothing I said indicates doom .... if you need to label, if anything I'm the original usf realist.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,891
  • Days Won:  67

13 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

These players he brought in did a good job in the tournament  using his system. That is the best hope we can get. Players that put up good numbers for a coach in the tournament coming to play for that coach. 

They shot 26% from 3, 60% from the line and lost in the first round, that is not exactly killing it but whatever, the jury is out, 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

50 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

They shot 26% from 3, 60% from the line and lost in the first round, that is not exactly killing it but whatever, the jury is out, 

For the season or in the tournament?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

@panchosanchez99 keep bringing the optimism and good posts. I don't follow basketball as closely as football and baseball but sounds like you know what you're talking about. You sure you aren't CAAR trying to get us hyped up?

Edited by Sk00b

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  777
  • Days Won:  2

39 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

@panchosanchez99 keep bringing the optimism and good posts. I don't follow basketball as closely as football and baseball but sounds like you know what you're talking about. You sure you are CAAR trying to get us hyped up?

Okay, here is more optimism. At some point next season, we will crack the top 25 and finish top 2 in the conference.

Trivia: Did you know that Jose Placer shot 51% driving to the basket last year? How does a 6'1" guard do that against much taller players? I posted this before, but check out his ball placement against much taller players in this highlight reel. Check out the ball-handling. Check out the passing. We already know about his 3pt shooting. I am salivating!

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  777
  • Days Won:  2

You can't argue with stats; and good stats these new players have. FAU went to the final 4 with a starting lineup with one player taller than 6'4", which was their 7'1" center. How did they win so many games? They will be the team to beat in the conference this year. They return all starters this year. Following were their stats last year:

Bryan Greenlee: FT - 65%, 3PT - 40%

Nick Boyd: FT - 62%, 3PT - 40%

Johnell Davis: FT - 85%, 3PT - 36%

Alijah Martin: FT - 79%, 3PT - 37%

Vladislav Goldin: FT - 59%, FG% - 62%

That is some pretty good shooting from deep for 4 players in their starting lineup. Two of the 4 have excellent FT% as well. We have the stats to match theirs and compete with them. Under CBG, we have had some good looking guards that looked good on highlight reels but could not shoot. Javon Greene, Jamir Chaplin, and Caleb Murphy come to mind. Placer, Youngblood, and Jennings are significant upgrades over that trio.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,891
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, panchosanchez99 said:

You can't argue with stats; and good stats these new players have. FAU went to the final 4 with a starting lineup with one player taller than 6'4", which was their 7'1" center. How did they win so many games? They will be the team to beat in the conference this year. They return all starters this year. Following were their stats last year:

Bryan Greenlee: FT - 65%, 3PT - 40%

Nick Boyd: FT - 62%, 3PT - 40%

Johnell Davis: FT - 85%, 3PT - 36%

Alijah Martin: FT - 79%, 3PT - 37%

Vladislav Goldin: FT - 59%, FG% - 62%

That is some pretty good shooting from deep for 4 players in their starting lineup. Two of the 4 have excellent FT% as well. We have the stats to match theirs and compete with them. Under CBG, we have had some good looking guards that looked good on highlight reels but could not shoot. Javon Greene, Jamir Chaplin, and Caleb Murphy come to mind. Placer, Youngblood, and Jennings are significant upgrades over that trio.

Caleb and Chaplin couldn’t shoot for ****, they were way to athletic to bother with working on their jump shot. No idea what we have but it seems we bring in people that can shoot and come to this conference and forget or can’t find an opening due to talent and strategy, I will agree with Trips, as much as that pains me, show me something first. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Friscobull said:

2 hours ago, Sk00b said:

For the season or in the tournament?

The tournament game ...

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,162
  • Days Won:  56

Jake Boggs shot 44% from 3 at UNC Wilmington the season before he came to USF (29% for us). D.J. Patrick also shot 44% at Triton College (also 29% for us) the year we signed him. I’m encouraged by the guys we have, but there’s no guarantee the numbers translate to the AAC.