• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ah, those academic folks . . .

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

There are so many contradictory studies and findings on the the so-called "Flutie Effect" that I would dismiss the most of it as meaningless.  There are so many factors that go into increases in enrollment and academic standards of applicants. particularly at a major state state university in a rapidly growing metropolitan area in an rapidly growing state.  I would say that much of the data I have seen indicates athletic success leads to a corresponding increase in general alumni donations;  however, I would be highly skeptical that athletic success has any 1:1 or greater correlation to academic improvement at any university. 

Begs the question: Without winning a FBS championship, how can those Ivy League schools even stay in business?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

those will be athletic donations.

I'm not against athletics. I donate, buy season tickets, merchandise,etc.

I just think it's insane to think building a football factory will somehow improve the academic side of the school.

Honestly it's just people rationalizing the ridiculous amounts of money being put into college athletics now.

I think it helps all of the University just in ways you cannot always measure. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,616
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

seems like a small sample size.

probably tough to measure the actual academic benefits UCF might derive from a few extra applications.

I believe you said applications are up in the entire state anyway.

If I can't use the fact that applications are up at USF to an all time high even though we are losing then you probably can't use the fact that applications are up at UCF because they are winning.

Look I'm not against the OCS or anything else athletics related.

People just need to stop fooling themselves that by building football factories these schools are somehow benefiting academically. It's simply not the case.

I think  we are saying it benefits the school financially and gives exposure which in return benefits the academics and student fees...

2 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

There are so many contradictory studies and findings on the the so-called "Flutie Effect" that I would dismiss the most of it as meaningless.  There are so many factors that go into increases in enrollment and academic standards of applicants. particularly at a major state state university in a rapidly growing metropolitan area in an rapidly growing state.  I would say that much of the data I have seen indicates athletic success leads to a corresponding increase in general alumni donations;  however, I would be highly skeptical that athletic success has any 1:1 or greater correlation to academic improvement at any university. 

Begs the question: Without winning a FBS championship, how can those Ivy League schools even stay in business?

None of the ivy schools are claiming to be a power conference either or trying to get into a power conference.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Did we say winning games and investing in athletics was the only path to a university's success? No. We said it helps.

so clearly whatever USF is doing has increased the value of our diploma by more than what UCF has been doing at least according to US News (which by the way is far more influential when a student is looking at schools to attend)

Edited by Bull94
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

18 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

While they are truly bright folks, the academics ALWAYS have a tough time grasping the concept that a strong, visible athletic program positively impacts every aspect of a university - admissions, infrastructure, fundraising, alumni engagement, etc., etc. It’s not really that difficult, but wouldn’t it be shocking to read a story where a leader on the academic side of a university says, “Hell yeah! Let’s do it! All boats rise.”

7465QOWJLJCLLOJMFLR5N7V454.JPG

“It seems to me like the dangers outweigh the positives,” the Faculty Senate vice president says.

Gee, Alabama must certainly be an AAU school, at least?  Right?

7 minutes ago, Rizman said:

I think it helps all of the University just in ways you cannot always measure. 

😂

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Unfortunately we seem to want an absolute answer, but, guess what! THERE AIN'T ONE! Remember the old saying," The only thing for sure is living, dying, and paying taxes?" Hell, 1/3 of that one doesn't always hold true. 

Suggesting that all or even most kids choose a certain school ONLY for the academics is asinine.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

32 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

It's been a long time since I read about it, but I could swear I read something toward the front end of the Saban dynasty at Bama (probably 2 or 3 titles in) that Bama's academic profile had increased quite a bit since Saban showed up. Now ... how far down they were is something I've been unable to find, but they're currently at like 160-something according to US News and World Report, so it's not like they're exactly world beaters at this point either

Tried to find some source that tracked over the years. Found one website that, if accurate, actually shows Alabama has gone backwards since 2015, from 88 in '15 to 140 last year (and now 137). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find one that would have tracked from 2007 to 2015.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

1 minute ago, GoBulls84 said:

Tried to find some source that tracked over the years. Found one website that, if accurate, actually shows Alabama has gone backwards since 2015, from 88 in '15 to 140 last year (and now 137). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find one that would have tracked from 2007 to 2015.

wow their football program must have done a lot of losing to fall that far academically.

Here is a link for 2008-2015.

Has Bama at 91 in 2008. currently 137

Clemson at 67 in 2008 and 77 now

someone might want to tell them to invest more in their athletics. their academics are falling off

https://publicuniversityhonors.com/2015/06/13/u-s-news-national-university-rankings-2008-present/

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,169
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

Ivy leagues? Now that's funny. That's old money on top of old money. Those folks take care of their own.  🙂

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,169
  • Days Won:  56

57 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Gee, Alabama must certainly be an AAU school, at least?  Right?

😂

Do you think that Bama's prowess on the football field hasn't raised its profile and benefitted the university in other ways?