• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ah, those academic folks . . .

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,490
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Losing to most teams while playing a worse schedule while being passed by teams you previously had lapped while paying 4-5x more isn’t going to be a better experience for anyone and the novelty of a new stadium without success tends to wear off in exactly one season.  All that matters is getting out of the aac by any means necessary and there is no way anyone seriously believes this actually is a requirement of any better conference, they just have to tell themselves that because it’s the only glimmer of hope we have from these people.

I agree winning matters most and beating top 25 programs when given the chance

35 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This was my thoughts reading some of the comments. Higher profile athletics may help the quantity of college applicants but I doubt helps the quality that much ….

I bet it helps donations to the school and nil money

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Yeah it's probably all the recent athletic success we've been having that is driving the record number of applicants, the highest achieving admitted students and the largest ever fundraising in our history.......

article2.png

Philanthropic gifts from the University of South Florida community exceeded $151 million in fiscal year 2021-22, the most generous level of support in the institution’s...

The application numbers are across the board in Florida. It's not exclusive to USF. So your take is that athletics - good, bad or indifferent - have no impact on other areas of the university's operations, reputation or community engagement? They are mutually exclusive. I'll tell you that at the school where I work - a college prep school - we NEVER sent kids to UCF. Now, we send multiple kids there every year. Why? Their academic reputation? Disney World?

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I would bet the professors at Florida and Bama get to see some extra research money from the SEC in some way make it to fund buildings , projects, and research. 

Not a single dollar.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

The application numbers are across the board in Florida. It's not exclusive to USF. So your take is that athletics - good, bad or indifferent - have no impact on other areas of the university's operations? They are mutually exclusive.

athletic success has no impact on anything other than athletics

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,124
  • Days Won:  56

Just now, Bull94 said:

athletic success has no impact on anything other than athletics

I think you're wrong. I'll say it again: the school where I work - a college prep school - NEVER sent kids to UCF. Now, we send multiple kids there every year. Why? Their academic reputation? Disney World?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I think you're wrong. I'll say it again: the school where I work - a college prep school - NEVER sent kids to UCF. Now, we send multiple kids there every year. Why? Their academic reputation? Disney World?

because it's easy to get into? maybe the lazy river? If they are choosing a school because of their athletic accomplishments then they aren't serious students.

if your counselors are suggesting they go to UCF because they have a good football team then they are failing at their job.

If athletic success had anything to do with academics than the SEC would be the Ivy League.

Perspective1-post-no-logo-e1553867243643

UCF’s new amenity called “Recovery Cove” features a lazy river and zero-entry connected pool, and offers student athletes a place to relax and socialize.

Edited by Bull94
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,490

25 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Not a single dollar.

I have no idea how it works. I m kwow when usf started winning there were alot of people buying in the local community supporting usf. I know there more donors  as well.So money donated by donors  and conference dollars to the school does not fund any buildings, programs, honor colleges, or research? Why do all the conference  commercials always show ground breaking research from universities in their conference if they don't help fund it?

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462

14 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

If they are choosing a school because of their athletic accomplishments then they aren't serious students.

Maybe they’re asking simply for the popularity? I seriously doubt any adviser would suggest them for their academics. Do you think every student chooses a school for the academics?

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

Who cares what they think.   I don't.  They only care about themselves anyway.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BDYZR said:

Maybe they’re asking simply for the popularity? I seriously doubt any adviser would suggest them for their academics. Do you think every student chooses a school for the academics?

I should hope so. otherwise they aren't a serious student.

if their priority is a winning football team, chances are they aren't the type of student you want.

I sure hope you guys don't have kids that you encourage to go to a school based on it's athletic success.

I'm not opposed to athletics. I buy season tickets, donate, etc.

I'm not foolish enough to believe what I spend on athletics somehow benefits the academic side though.