• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ah, those academic folks . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

Some can argue that Grothe helped get USF on the football & academic map with the 6-0 rise to #2 in BCS rankings. Before that season not many knew much about USF. The US News ranking was not good. Ever since that football season the rankings have kept rising in academics 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

57 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Some can argue that Grothe helped get USF on the football & academic map with the 6-0 rise to #2 in BCS rankings. Before that season not many knew much about USF. The US News ranking was not good. Ever since that football season the rankings have kept rising in academics 

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the 6-0, #2 ranking had little, if any, effect on why we have kept rising in academics ...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

Just to play devil's advocate... walk across campus one day and ask a random student who Matt Grothe is. Maybe even ask 100.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Bull94 said:

simple thought experiment.

school A invests $200m in academics and $0 in athletics

school B invests $100m in academics and $100m in athletics

school C invests $0 in academics and $200m in athletics

rank them in order of academic standings

people need to stop thinking investing in athletics somehow benefits academics.

Just like investing in academics doesn't benefit athletics.

it's simply not true.

4 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Athletics brings in money for athletics.  Not for the school as a whole.  Its naive to think that it does.

Is it fun?  Sure.  Does it help the on campus environment?  Arguably.

Does it benefit academics? The vast majority of the time it is a drain on academics.

Reread my post, I never said that investing in one will benefit the other. I only said that they benefit the SCHOOL. Benefits are more than monetary. I never even mentioned academic rankings. In terms of money for the school, you mean to tell me that Alabama, Michigan, OSU etc don’t make money when you add up game income, conference income and merchandise? Schools may claim a loss, but it’s a business, they reinvest that money they’ve made. Obviously it’s not a complete loss otherwise schools would stop running athletic programs because they simply wouldn’t be able to afford it (which indicates they understand the benefits of said athletics programs and it outweighs not having them).

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Just to play devil's advocate... walk across campus one day and ask a random student who Matt Grothe is. Maybe even ask 100.

Haha, true, but let’s ask Miami students who Bernie Kosar is. Bet you’d get the same answer (and he won a national championship) as the USF students with Grothe. They still started the major interest in their schools. 

• Go Bulls! 1

Also, I forget who said it, but serious students can care and choose a school because of athletics. I chose USF because we just joined the BE and Tampa is way nicer than Tallahassee and UCF and FAU had crap sports. I wanted the full MAJOR university experience and not just academics. I still remember visiting family in Ohio and having people say “Go Bulls” you guys are awesome! I don’t hear people causally talking about MIT or Cal Tech. Just sayin’

Edited by michibull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

My connection to USF remains fueled by Athletics. 

They need to STFU and understand that cost is what you pay and value is what you get. The stadium has a ton of VALUE to the entire institution. 

Edited by hm101
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 5/22/2023 at 8:25 PM, Outlaw said:

Who cares if they agree? If not find a job somewhere else. Moving into a power conference would bring them more money for research and prestige. The more the team succeeds at the Ocs the more money for USF from athletics tickets and donors. The curse of Judy lives on prioritizing academics at the cost of athletics.

great post..... this nonsense goes back to the first usf president.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

5 hours ago, michibull said:

Also, I forget who said it, but serious students can care and choose a school because of athletics. I chose USF because we just joined the BE and Tampa is way nicer than Tallahassee and UCF and FAU had crap sports. I wanted the full MAJOR university experience and not just academics. I still remember visiting family in Ohio and having people say “Go Bulls” you guys are awesome! I don’t hear people causally talking about MIT or Cal Tech. Just sayin’

i came to usf when i checked of the school catalog and i saw all the bikini clad girls by the multiple pools

i than went to my handy farmers almanac and saw tampa had better weather than the schools up north

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

8 hours ago, JTrue said:

Lol I love playing that game.  I guess what I am saying is that Grothe, Leavitt and the rest of the USF football program ( so many people to list) played a big role in getting USF distinguished on the national map. Sure I give most of the credit to Judy. She played a big role on the academic side. Bottom line is the USF football program helped with the exposure to many outlets 

• Upvote 2