• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Important OCS Update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Maybe the typical USF student would be more inclined to “like sports” if we had a decent football team who played on campus and a basketball team that made the tournament more than once every 20 or so years.  If we are relevant, students will be there.  I think these articles are just written by people who genuinely have no interest in sports even at their own alma mater.  It’s happening, so they need to stop whining and get with the program.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

Inactivity will always seek its justification.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

13 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Maybe the typical USF student would be more inclined to “like sports” if we had a decent football team who played on campus and a basketball team that made the tournament more than once every 20 or so years.  If we are relevant, students will be there.  I think these articles are just written by people who genuinely have no interest in sports even at their own alma mater.  It’s happening, so they need to stop whining and get with the program.

I think in the modern mindset this is just the next logical extension of NIL.  Pay to play and then pay to watch them play.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

21 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

So, how much of this is really generational in nature? A long time ago, sports (games making use of human interaction in the physical world) were how we spent our time. Now, there are high school kids who can play the living daylights out of a virtual football game, but simply cannot throw, run or catch. I'm not talking at the level of a high school athlete; I'm talking at the Joe Donut level. A lack of participation early on is not going to suddenly morph into interest later in life. Evolution is our friend, to a degree...

I really do believe that the OCS will pay dividends as far as developing a greater interest, by students going forward. The initial generation of USF football fans did what was necessary to embrace the program. All fanbases ebb and flow with the success of the team, and the more successful the team, the less heavy lifting that the marketing department has to do. Since a great number of first-generation fans attended Drive Thru U, we do not have, and never developed during our formative years, the same level of emotional connection that comes from a vibrant in-place rally-round-the-flag environment that the OCS can provide. I started going to the Sun Dome back in '90. And I've said this a million times, if the product isn't entertainin', I ain't payin'. You can't play the ole 'but it's your alma mater! You have to...' song. No, I don't have to do anything once our contract has run its course. What you really want to do is amp up that emotional attachment of your college experience into something that lasts post-graduation. 

Once the OCS is in place and starts becoming a magnet, then the 'spirit' will evolve. Would it have been nice to undertake the stadium project some time back? Sure. Earlier is always better. Grow with the program. But if Poindexter never embraces football, or any other non-classroom student activities, well, nothing to be done about that. You're not gonna close on every sale. But I do think we will see an uptick in student interest once the OCS has a physical presence. The nut will be ensuring that the product encased therein has entertainment value as well.

Don't be Sun Dome 2.0 :iconic_u_black:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

WWW.DALLASNEWS.COM

Why falling student attendance at college football games is a real concern ... is TV...

Not the article I was looking for. I saw one on espn that was more current. 

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

It's a valid concern and likely one of the reasons why these old stadiums are looking into major renovations, which will cater to today's students.

The USF Student focus group for the OCS helped provide a good amount of information on what will be put into the stadium based off of what hey desire.

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

18 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

The USF Student focus group for the OCS helped provide a good amount of information on what will be put into the stadium based off of what hey desire.

Back when I was a USF student that was food.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Just food?

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Trying to think back to my student days and attending games. Really wasnt much we needed. So what did they ask for? Wifi so they can **** around on their phones the whole time? Affordable concessions? Noon/3:30 games for less clothing?

Edited by Sk00b

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

11 hours ago, Brad said:

11 hours ago, John Lewis said:

Just food?

Beer is food, right Brad?

• Haha 1