• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students still divided on development of on-campus stadium - The Oracle

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Statistically 166 responses is significant, but to someone's earlier point they could have all been polled in XYZ college building, which could be a more or less against the OCS in general. Unfortunately, USF's focus on academics for 70 years has created a culture of indifference towards sports, and it shows. We have a student body of ~30,000 undergraduates attending the Tampa campus, and it took an outside consultant to more or less bribe students to go to basketball games.  The OCS represents a monumental shift in attitude towards athletics as a whole. Unfortunately, it may take quite some time to build the culture of athletics being important to the university, see: professors at more sports-heavy institutions letting students out of class to attend/watch big games. 

Show up, donate, spread the word, bring your friends/family/neighbors. It's full speed ahead for the next 3-4 years and we should all be "recruiting" for USF. 

You are 100% on target with this! Students who choose to go to UF, FSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Mich State, etc, go there not only for an education, but the fan/athletics side of the experience as well. Most kids are fans of the schools sports teams first and want to go to school there to be apart of it. There are many schools that are academic focused and the students you get, are academic focused and sports are a waste of time in their view (that sums up a large percentage of our current students; the other part are made up of fans of UF, FSU or Miami that didn’t get into those schools). As you stated, it’s a culture change that has to happen in my opinion. When you combine academics and athletics, you create loyal alumni that become donors; otherwise they are just graduates that don’t think about the school afterwards. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

9 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

They should have a say on how their money is spent. 

By not having a say it prepares them for being a taxpayer (hopefully).

• Haha 4

****, it's 35 years later and I want to know where my tuition went.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

7 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

They can choose another school. I'm semi-serious. Florida state run schools are dirt cheap compared to so many other states and private universities.  Our daughter's friend spends more than 4 years worth of USF tuition on one year of grade school for their kids. 

Cuz is right once again, my daughter got in to UF and that was her life long dream when she was younger.  We had bought both of our girls a Fl prepaid before we moved to Texas. She decided on Texas A&M and it was more expensive to go there in State then going to UF and flying back on every holiday by about 4K a year.  Florida schools are a good deal no matter what they do with the fees. We pay insane fees and have to buy sports passes to boot to pay for 2 IPF’s, stadiums, 5 star hotels for the night of and the day of gameday at home etc… 

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,695
  • Days Won:  108

35 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Cuz is right once again, my daughter got in to UF and that was her life long dream when she was younger.  We had bought both of our girls a Fl prepaid before we moved to Texas. She decided on Texas A&M and it was more expensive to go there in State then going to UF and flying back on every holiday by about 4K a year.  Florida schools are a good deal no matter what they do with the fees. We pay insane fees and have to buy sports passes to boot to pay for 2 IPF’s, stadiums, 5 star hotels for the night of and the day of gameday at home etc… 

Hall of Fame post right there. 😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

Same for my kids.  Could go to school at USF cheaper than instate ASU a less “academically prominent” school.  Spousal disagreement sent them to ASU for more money.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,881
  • Days Won:  67

11 minutes ago, Brad said:

Same for my kids.  Could go to school at USF cheaper than instate ASU a less “academically prominent” school.  Spousal disagreement sent them to ASU for more money.  

I was glad she was close, great school.  Only thing I know about ASU is I was a goim banging a JAP and went to Boca and met gramps who didn’t like a kraut hanging with the fam and sent her out west.  It worked out for both of us but she had big hair and boobs which I have always missed, however many years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Topic Count:  685
  • Content Count:  7,646
  • Days Won:  6

16 hours ago, Brad said:

****, it's 35 years later and I want to know where my tuition went.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,452
  • Days Won:  19

Although the stadium funds wouldn't otherwise be going to their favorite college, professor or cause at USF, I think it is only sensible for any USF student to weigh the pros and cons of the OCS project.  For me, it doesn't affect my wallet or day-to-day life any more, so I am OK with whatever plan is implemented.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

i remember people complaining about parking in the late 90s. what's changed? there's parking, people just don't want to walk

• Upvote 1