• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Source says Mike Brey to be hired by USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

If it’s not Brey - given the scenario being painted - Kelly better find a way to raise John Wooden from the dead. I can only think of two names that would possibly keep me engaged and Chris Capko isn’t one of them.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

17 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I still have a feeling that this all might just be posturing by both sides around the details of the contract and $.

MK has to be willing to pay more then we usually do for someone with the quality of Brey. We spend millions on facilities, we need to be willing to spend more on coaches.

If its not Brey ,Kelly better find someone of like quality. It better not be Kapco. Even though I like Kapco he would be the worst hire from all mentioned so far on this board due to his lack of HC experience

Ad MK does love to hire coaches with no experience as. Head coach  though. It seems to be his standard operating procedure. We could have went after Herman who has two NY6 bowl wins and a solid track record but we hired Golesh. We will see how it shakes our as Herman is coaching  our new division rival and Golesh is here. Hopefully  he got it right but I don't really have confidence in AD MK .

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

FAU might pass us in athletics…

WILD thought ten years ago.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Ad MK does love to hire coaches with no experience as. Head coach  though. It seems to be his standard operating procedure. We could have went after Herman who has two NY6 bowl wins and a solid track record but we hired Golesh. We will see how it shakes our as Herman is coaching  our new division rival and Golesh is here. Hopefully  he got it right but I don't really have confidence in AD MK .

To this point, IMHO, if this hire does not go through and we get another rookie coach, VPMK has to go; he has done nothing constructive while at the same time giving us a bad reputation with all of these leaks and failures. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Well, the wiki page has been updated.  USF reference has been removed.

Sucks.  Not sure what will happen, but I have been systematically conditioned (like most all USF athletics fans) to believe that this hire wouldn't happen at USF anyway.  Hope I'm wrong.  This one had me excited about MBB.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If there’s any truth to this - if Brey wanted the job and wasn’t offered - you guys won’t see me here again. I can’t waste any more of my time on this mess.

I firmly believe Brey was interested, but ultimately didn't really want to coach immediately.  Burn out is hard to overcome.  So when MK provided the offer, Brey took time and ultimately declined the offer.

We're better off not getting Brey if his heart just isn't in it.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I firmly believe Brey was interested, but ultimately didn't really want to coach immediately.  Burn out is hard to overcome.  So when MK provided the offer, Brey took time and ultimately declined the offer.

We're better off not getting Brey if his heart just isn't in it.

This. The most likely explanation is that Brey looked at what needed to be done and decided that he's too tired to do it at this point. It isn't like he is going out trying to get another gig. He wants to get that cushy TV money. Can't say that I blame him. Let's chill out with the VPMK hate on this issue until more facts come to light. 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Rex Havoc said:

To me this makes no sense…but then again it’s USF Athletics. Many of the things they do don’t really make sense. 

Only thing I can think of is that they were interested in a coach or coaches still in the tournament and wanted to interview them first?  I can't think of anyone better than Brey who is attainable by USF.  Anyone at a bigger school with success isn't going to take a step down for a re-build in the AAC.  If this guy was interested in the job, they should have hired him immediately.  I have no idea.  We better not USF this up!!

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Here is a hard fact for many Bulls followers to understand. Our Basketball history is bleak. Only Lee Rose 106-69 , Seth Greenberg 108-100 and Gibson 15-10 had winning records and none of those three led us to NCAA Tournament.

A young winning coach might not want to risk his momentum by coming here, so we will probably end up having to choose from an older coach that has been fired like we did with Gregory or an assistant coach with zero head coach experience as FAU did with their HC.

Its not pretty but is where we are, and while I am not 100% sold on Kelly and his hiring of coaches nor extensions, I understand the situation he is in and that it’s a two way street. Is not like why didn’t he get this guy, without thinking is that guy even interesting.

So get ready for the hire because it will be either

A) A fired HC from a major program that been struggling lately. Like Gregory

B) An Assistant at some major program with zero HC experience. Like Capko

C) A HC at a smaller program with average success, but no other suitors. Like McCullum

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Well this took quite at turn.