• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Games abound, but should we care?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

https://www.eagletribune.com/paul-zeise-if-the-players-and-coaches-dont-care-about-these-bowl-games-why-should/article_40b759a9-d201-52ea-b9e6-02fa25d68b90.html

The writer's main gripe is how players and coaches shuffle out the door at the end of the season. His position is that if the participants don't care about the bowl game, why should we. His example is the players from Pitt who are opting out the Sun Bowl. Without the 'stars', and playing third string quarterbacks, and interim coaches, what's the point in the bowl game. 

My position is that it provides three hours of commercial programming for ESPN. As for these bowl games, I'd bet, that unless you're an alumnus of one of these schools, you're probably not going to sit riveted-to-the-screen. 

"And, then, at the end of the year, they take another job and jump ship before the season is actually over. If that is the case, what the heck is the hurry for these guys to ditch their teams to take their new jobs?

I have no issue with coaches taking another job; that's part of the profession. This is America. Go get your job and presumably your pay raise. The idea coaches shouldn't take other jobs is stupid, especially when they can be fired on any day by an administrator who wants a different direction.

I do have an issue, however, with this accepted practice that coaches leave before the bowl game and leave their teams to prepare with a skeleton staff. Coaches could recruit on the phone at night. They could hire some of their new staff from the phone at night, and they could handle their business administratively via this thing called the internet, as well.

There is no reason they should leave before the last game, and the last game, by the way, is the bowl game."

Which is interesting given how we praised CAG for showing up at the office immediately as opposed to xCJS who felt the need to stick around Clemson. Circumstances and perspective. 

"Just please stop insulting my intelligence by telling me I'm supposed to care about these bowl games, and I'm supposed to not view them as a total farce. If the people they are supposed to be a reward for can't be bothered to care, none of us should, either."

I can't recall ever saying someone should "care about" the ESPN programming blocks. Once you get past the handful of prestige bowls, about the only people who could possibly care would have to the alumnus. It's an opportunity to air commercials during a programming block that has a decent demographic draw. I think the author of the article is just not keeping up with football 2022. Game's changing. Maybe not for the better, that's subjective, but pretending the Idaho Baked Potato With Sour Cream and Chives Bowl featuring Central Michigan and Troy warrants interest is really stretching the argument. ESPN needs to sell advertising slots and college football no matter how bad, is better than the alternative. The world is full of farces, depending entirely on where you stand. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

I am a sports purist, so my feeling is that coaching and player changes should not occur until the season is over for all teams, which is Tuesday January 10th - any movement of coaches/players, or recruiting of coaches/players on a current college roster is just plain tampering with another teams season (which is why pro sports have a moratorium on this type of thing)

HOWEVER, since the NCAA has no rule for this and since the various teams do not respect any type of common curtesy in this regard, then what occurs is a “I will do what is right for me situation”

This is why I support CAG coming to USF immediately and why I feel CJS seriously put us behind the 8-ball by staying with Clemson

As for the bowl games, there are way too many useless (made for television) games that nobody really cares about - to your point, I am not going to watch CMU slug it out with Northern Iowa in the Look At Me TikTok Bowl - the bowl system should be condensed down to the playoff system that is coming and that is it

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

31 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

https://www.eagletribune.com/paul-zeise-if-the-players-and-coaches-dont-care-about-these-bowl-games-why-should/article_40b759a9-d201-52ea-b9e6-02fa25d68b90.html

The writer's main gripe is how players and coaches shuffle out the door at the end of the season. His position is that if the participants don't care about the bowl game, why should we. His example is the players from Pitt who are opting out the Sun Bowl. Without the 'stars', and playing third string quarterbacks, and interim coaches, what's the point in the bowl game. 

My position is that it provides three hours of commercial programming for ESPN. As for these bowl games, I'd bet, that unless you're an alumnus of one of these schools, you're probably not going to sit riveted-to-the-screen. 

"And, then, at the end of the year, they take another job and jump ship before the season is actually over. If that is the case, what the heck is the hurry for these guys to ditch their teams to take their new jobs?

I have no issue with coaches taking another job; that's part of the profession. This is America. Go get your job and presumably your pay raise. The idea coaches shouldn't take other jobs is stupid, especially when they can be fired on any day by an administrator who wants a different direction.

I do have an issue, however, with this accepted practice that coaches leave before the bowl game and leave their teams to prepare with a skeleton staff. Coaches could recruit on the phone at night. They could hire some of their new staff from the phone at night, and they could handle their business administratively via this thing called the internet, as well.

There is no reason they should leave before the last game, and the last game, by the way, is the bowl game."

Which is interesting given how we praised CAG for showing up at the office immediately as opposed to xCJS who felt the need to stick around Clemson. Circumstances and perspective. 

"Just please stop insulting my intelligence by telling me I'm supposed to care about these bowl games, and I'm supposed to not view them as a total farce. If the people they are supposed to be a reward for can't be bothered to care, none of us should, either."

I can't recall ever saying someone should "care about" the ESPN programming blocks. Once you get past the handful of prestige bowls, about the only people who could possibly care would have to the alumnus. It's an opportunity to air commercials during a programming block that has a decent demographic draw. I think the author of the article is just not keeping up with football 2022. Game's changing. Maybe not for the better, that's subjective, but pretending the Idaho Baked Potato With Sour Cream and Chives Bowl featuring Central Michigan and Troy warrants interest is really stretching the argument. ESPN needs to sell advertising slots and college football no matter how bad, is better than the alternative. The world is full of farces, depending entirely on where you stand. 

I watch them, not because I am an alumnus of all of these schools but more because I am a degenerate gambler that enjoys throwing a few bucks down to make these otherwise irrelevant games interesting.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

Not really.  There are so many, it's hard to keep track of them all.   I haven't bothered to watch one yet.  I'll probably watch the playoffs, but none of the other matchups really excite me.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

the Idaho Baked Potato With Sour Cream and Chives Bowl

I would have watched if they threw in butter and bacon.

I actually record these games and, if I've got nothing better to do, will Fast Forward through one now and then.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, WoolyBully said:

IMO it looks like the writer's just grasping for something for an article, with a burr up his ass. The % of players/coaches who "don't care" enough to participate isn't that large and these games are kind of a reward for the rest ....... made even better if players who haven't played much, or at all, get to see the field. It's also a chance for fans to see their team one more time if they so desire ........ and I'm kind of thinking of our last B'ham bowl and one last chance to see Q.

Like I think you said, nobody's telling me I should care about the meaningless post season exhibition games so what's the big deal. Don't watch, don't go, if you don't want to but if someone's willing to sponsor one, so what?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, bowman1 said:

This is why I support CAG coming to USF immediately and why I feel CJS seriously put us behind the 8-ball by staying with Clemson

Definitely agree that CJS staying put us back a bit but not sure how seriously it did ..... but I'm not begrudging someone for staying for a playoff game and just glad that CAG didn't have to make that choice.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,342
  • Days Won:  43

Basically the AAC ones. If you are thinking way ahead then the ACC ones…

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  3

Haven't watched a single bowl game. Maybe the upcoming "better" matchups. 

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

If you are in the CFP and are playing for a National Championship,  I get it.

If your team goes to a bowl then that team gets 20 extra practice days. Young players get a chance to show improvement.  

Other than that the bowls are a reward for the players and the program.

As far as watching it is those games or the Hallmark channel with the wife.

I watch all the bowl games

• Haha 2