• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jack Taylor - Reported as New TE Coach

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,380
  • Days Won:  25

33 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Yes, but.  Any team that isn't doing well needs energy in the program. We aren't unique in having a struggling team.  And I'm not totally sold that a guy like Herman, with some history of success as a head coach,  wouldn't have been better for USF. We'll see how it works out since we'll be playing them and they are now in the same conference.

I think he could have been better in the fact he could have brought a working defensive system and scheme to the school. He would be better than most coaches in the conference. The only thing this is his rebuilding job and launching pad. If he has a good one or two years, he is jumping to the next p5 job. AG we have no idea how good he will do and if he finds success will he stay or go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

54 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

give me the young coach who can work 18 hour days and hit the recruiting trail hard over the old timer who is just punching the clock and counting down the hours to retirement.

we are a young program. we need the energy. a lot of the older coaches are taking a step backwards and might not put in the effort we need here.

However, there's more to being a position coach than recruiting. They have to run drills, develop their players, provide them feedback during scrimmage and games. I'm concerned about this guy being able to get the most out of his group with no experience.

2 hours ago, Bull Awakening said:

With CAG being a former TE coach I’m not too worried about this hire. It is the coaches on defense that we need to worry about imo 

If he's doing his job as a HC, I'd think he wouldn't have time to work with the TE group very much. The point is for your position coach to shoulder the majority of the work.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

However, there's more to being a position coach than recruiting. They have to run drills, develop their players, provide them feedback during scrimmage and games. I'm concerned about this guy being able to get the most out of his group with no experience.

If he's doing his job as a HC, I'd think he wouldn't have time to work with the TE group very much. The point is for your position coach to shoulder the majority of the work.

That's where we differ.

I don't believe the act of actual coaching is like brain surgery.

especially as a position coach.

give me an experienced surgeon.

give me a young hungry position coach that can work 18 hour days and live out of his car on the recruiting trail.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

22 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

Coach Go coached with him for 4 years, so I trust that he sees something in him. Taylor has been on staff since 2015 and working with Heupel since 2016 (longer than Golesh). At UCF and, presumably at Tennessee, he had what has been reported as a pretty significant job:

"Taylor developed practice plans, team goals and improvement strategies working directly with Heupel, while leading the Knights’ scout team."

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

give me the young coach who can work 18 hour days and hit the recruiting trail hard over the old timer who is just punching the clock and counting down the hours to retirement.

we are a young program. we need the energy. a lot of the older coaches are taking a step backwards and might not put in the effort we need here.

Was just wondering about this. Can an analyst be out on the recruiting trail?  

17 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Was just wondering about this. Can an analyst be out on the recruiting trail?  

Analysts fall under a category of coach that isn't considered "countable" by the NCAA, which means that although they are prohibited from directly coaching players or going on off-campus recruiting trips, there is no limit on how many analysts a program can have on staff — a major complaint for programs with smaller .

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/whats-an-analyst-an-inside-look-at-one-of-the-crucial-staff-positions-in-college/article_314ad92a-468b-11e9-a3d0-47f6e384e1e8.html

17 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Analysts fall under a category of coach that isn't considered "countable" by the NCAA, which means that although they are prohibited from directly coaching players or going on off-campus recruiting trips, there is no limit on how many analysts a program can have on staff — a major complaint for programs with smaller .

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/whats-an-analyst-an-inside-look-at-one-of-the-crucial-staff-positions-in-college/article_314ad92a-468b-11e9-a3d0-47f6e384e1e8.html

So, on campus recruiting is technically legal. Phone calls, social media, etc.?

Just now, BDYZR said:

So, on campus recruiting is technically legal. Phone calls, social media, etc.?

got me but that's probably the easy part of recruiting.

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

got me but that's probably the easy part of recruiting.

I'm sure it is. But you would be surprised at the relationship you can build by simply talking. I spent 15 years selling lumber all over the US. Pretty much got to know the life history, kids and wives birthdays, anniversaries, etc. but wouldn't know the guy if we bumped into one another on the street. Obviously those relationships took time, but it was a pretty good living till the market crash in 2008.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Bull94 said:

we need guys that will drive to the middle of nowhere florida and stay in some flea bag motel to recruit a kid that lives in some podunk town.

That is true the younger hungry coach is going to work harder than guy that's been demoted usually. 

Also unrelated... that reminds me of an episode of Coach...when they got stuck in a blizzard when recruiting some stud athlete in nowhere Minnesota haha. Loved that show.