• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK comments on coaching search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, usf97 said:

Will USF ever invite CJL back and do a Ralph Friedgen type day like Maryland did in 2019? I tend to doubt that will happen until CJL is 70+,  if ever in his lifetime. 

I don't think it's so much "will USF invite Leavitt back" as much as it is "would Leavitt want to come back" to coach at the university that ruined his name and that he sued?

Seems like everyone thinks the shoe is on USF's end, but that might not be the case at all.

USF did Leavitt dirty and the football program is the worst FBS program in the country. Why would a man who is enjoying a semi-retired life decide to pick up the immense stress related with USF football right now after what the institution did? It is time to move on. 

I agree he should come back to be recognized in some way but those who are saying it's 'head coach or nothing' seem to forget it's his decision as well, and he probably still has justified hard feelings.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

6 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

would be significantly higher than the percentage who want CJL above all others.

If Saban steps in the ring, you are right.

I don't think you have any way to measure the number of people that want CJL as the top guy or in the running - especially the masses that left USF football when Leavitt did.  You can't base it on what you read here or twitter.  Not sure what data you are using @Jim Johnson to make that comment.  it would be interesting to know.  Especially when there is no Deion available..  As Trip says, after Deion and CJL, there is nothing that will excite this fan base.   It's easy to get swept up by the jocular Deion, no doubt.  But I have my fears we will play the fool again.

6 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Beyond that, let Jim enjoy his retirement.

That's a funny assumption a few are making, that he wishes to be retired.  

4 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

I think CJL was fantastic for when he was a coach. With the way technology is (Twitter, Tik Tok, Social media presence in general) , the portal,  N.I L.s... I think,  with all due respect, the game has passed him by. 

I miss the swagger of Taggart. We NEED that level of swagger and energy and I don't feel CJL is that type of coach.

I don't really need swagger..  That's just theater replacing skill.

So many great coaches in the SEC and P5, no swagger, but winners.  Swagger is just to hide something else and interest the kids.  We need a real coach that can win games.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, usf97 said:

Will USF ever invite CJL back and do a Ralph Friedgen type day like Maryland did in 2019? I tend to doubt that will happen until CJL is 70+,  if ever in his lifetime. 

It's kind of funny.  USF would have to apologize.  Instead of working with McMurphy they should have questioned the whole fiasco.  As many are only learning now, 12 years later, McMurphy had and still has a grudge with Leavitt - it goes way back and first blood was McMurphy being fired from the Tampa Tribune.  He went on a scorched earth offensive to enlist his locker room boys to help take Leavitt down.  It's all so bad.  Had USF not bought out Leavitt, the judge/jury would have found USF liable, not Jim Leavitt.  Most of the nattering know-nothings are just that.

38 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

...but those who are saying it's 'head coach or nothing' seem to forget it's his decision as well, and he probably still has justified hard feelings.

It's pretty likely that is the case.  It's his baby.  I'm guessing you probably don't have a baby.  You don't think he would want to be re-united with his creation?  You don't know Jim.

Secondly, it would be an insult to say "come back and let us honor you" so we can feel better about ourselves.  We screwed the pooch.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

21 minutes ago, Brad said:

If Saban steps in the ring, you are right.

I don't think you have any way to measure the number of people that want CJL as the top guy or in the running - especially the masses that left USF football when Leavitt did.  You can't base it on what you read here or twitter.  Not sure what data you are using @Jim Johnson to make that comment.  it would be interesting to know.  Especially when there is no Deion available..  As Trip says, after Deion and CJL, there is nothing that will excite this fan base.   It's easy to get swept up by the jocular Deion, no doubt.  But I have my fears we will play the fool again.

If I used what I saw on Twitter and message boards, I would say there appears to be overwhelming desire to bring back Jim Leavitt over anyone else on planet earth, Saban included.

But the reality is, if there were more than a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, he would be on lists that people are sharing left, right, and center. 

And more importantly, if the donor base wanted him back, he would be back.  You claim to believe there are some untold "masses" of people who left USF and never came back in 2009.  Clearly that is not really the case... sure, that number is more than zero, as there was a drop off in attendance and season ticket holders.

It seems to me, Sisyphus had an easier task than what it would take to bring Jim Leavitt back as head coach.  I just do not understand why he becomes the first, the only, name for so many people.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

CJL and stop ******* around. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

36 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

If I used what I saw on Twitter and message boards, I would say there appears to be overwhelming desire to bring back Jim Leavitt over anyone else on planet earth, Saban included.

I'm confused. Is that sarcasm?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, Brad said:

It's kind of funny.  USF would have to apologize.  Instead of working with McMurphy they should have questioned the whole fiasco.  As many are only learning now, 12 years later, McMurphy had and still has a grudge with Leavitt - it goes way back and first blood was McMurphy being fired from the Tampa Tribune.  He went on a scorched earth offensive to enlist his locker room boys to help take Leavitt down.  It's all so bad.  Had USF not bought out Leavitt, the judge/jury would have found USF liable, not Jim Leavitt.  Most of the nattering know-nothings are just that.

Well said! Think this explanation needs to be pinned up for others to learn the history. Thanks