• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tom Allen and NIL at Indiana

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Sounds like Tom Allen is making excuses for his team’s **** play.

Are teams like Minnesota reaping in the benefits of NIL that much more than Indiana? They don’t seem to be doing too bad in the B1G. I’d think the hoosiers probably have more $$$ boosters than the gophers, what’s the real difference? 🤔

I’m sure had you asked Boyles or Grier about fCJS they would’ve also said “he’s a great coach! Come to USF!” While results on the field say otherwise. 

Tom Allen and excuses isn’t what USF needs right now. I really hope we don’t hire him as HC - Joey Knight thinks he’s a solid candidate for us.

He is also still confused as to how CJS was such a bust “when he checks all of the right boxes” , spoiler alert JK has the wrong boxes on his list.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

He is also still confused as to how CJS was such a bust “when he checks all of the right boxes” , spoiler alert JK has the wrong boxes on his list.

Yes I know, I only mentioned it because he correctly predicted CJS as our HC beforehand, which scares me in the case of Tom Allen.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Tom must be media-friendly.  

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  536
  • Days Won:  0

Be nice to get tom herman and bring him back as our dc. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  0

If we truly don't want to navigate this NIL thing a more realistic solution would be to go down to FCS where NIL would not be as big of an issue. If we just want competitive football, that's a good on option. But if you want big time college football, the money to players was always happening, we just know about it now.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

36 minutes ago, thekidnapper said:

If we truly don't want to navigate this NIL thing a more realistic solution would be to go down to FCS where NIL would not be as big of an issue. If we just want competitive football, that's a good on option. But if you want big time college football, the money to players was always happening, we just know about it now.

I don't think it's as much a matter of not wanting to but rather not having the kind of resources needed to compete at the level NIL we'd like to. College football is being ruined at the FBS level ....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

It's not that USF will be put in a tough spot with NIL... it's that ~100 of the 131 FBS programs will be. There are only a few dozen programs really set up to absorb this extra needed support in a meaningful way. Many others will have NIL collectives/opportunities as a check the box. I believe we fall into that category.

With a new IPF, stadium, awesome campus and city, as long as we have SOMETHING, I believe we will be fine. We will have a whole package of a great athlete experience and a program like Cincy or Pitt or whatever having marginally better NIL opportunities doesn't bother me. And again, Michigan having significantly better NIL opportunities doesn't scare me either because the gulf is so wide anyway. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

8 hours ago, hm101 said:

It's not that USF will be put in a tough spot with NIL... it's that ~100 of the 131 FBS programs will be. There are only a few dozen programs really set up to absorb this extra needed support in a meaningful way. Many others will have NIL collectives/opportunities as a check the box. I believe we fall into that category.

With a new IPF, stadium, awesome campus and city, as long as we have SOMETHING, I believe we will be fine. We will have a whole package of a great athlete experience and a program like Cincy or Pitt or whatever having marginally better NIL opportunities doesn't bother me. And again, Michigan having significantly better NIL opportunities doesn't scare me either because the gulf is so wide anyway. 

This is true... Indiana is a Big Ten program.  They've been getting a boatload more money from TV for a decade compared to G5 programs.  Yet, they cannot compete for the best of the best athletes.

That said, even if (when?) USF boosters can put that kind of money into NIL, USF won't be able to outspend FSU or UF or Miami for recruits.  USF's NIL battles will be with the lesser-respected P5 and upper tier G5 programs.  Wake Forest, Memphis, Kansas, UCF, etc.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

This is true... Indiana is a Big Ten program.  They've been getting a boatload more money from TV for a decade compared to G5 programs.  Yet, they cannot compete for the best of the best athletes.

That said, even if (when?) USF boosters can put that kind of money into NIL, USF won't be able to outspend FSU or UF or Miami for recruits.  USF's NIL battles will be with the lesser-respected P5 and upper tier G5 programs.  Wake Forest, Memphis, Kansas, UCF, etc.

I agree. And then like a business that can't pay top dollar, you pitch your other strengths. Culture, weather, city, new facilities, etc. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

22 minutes ago, hm101 said:

I agree. And then like a business that can't pay top dollar, you pitch your other strengths. Culture, weather, city, new facilities, etc. 

Also - Playing time at least for the foreseeable future.  Some people want to play as many years as possible.

Edited by Rocky Style