• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott's Farewell

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think we call that VPMK, they are very similar which is probably why they got along well but we could have used more complimentary skills than redundant ones.

I was thinking along the lines of what they did with Lelo Prado. Lelo obviously had more success here on the field than CJS, but when they decided it was time to move on, he moved elsewhere in the building and helps fundraise. At least on the surface it appears that Jeff Scott cared about the program even if it didn't translate to wins on the field. I think he'd actually thrive in a similar role to Lelo, but I also assume he still wants to coach, so it's probably a moot point anyway 🤷‍♂️

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I was thinking along the lines of what they did with Lelo Prado. Lelo obviously had more success here on the field than CJS, but when they decided it was time to move on, he moved elsewhere in the building and helps fundraise. At least on the surface it appears that Jeff Scott cared about the program even if it didn't translate to wins on the field. I think he'd actually thrive in a similar role to Lelo, but I also assume he still wants to coach, so it's probably a moot point anyway 🤷‍♂️

What roll do you suggest? I think he will be right back at Clemson by next season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

52 minutes ago, mjadams said:

What's your level of confidence in Kelly making the correct decision going forward? I'm genuinely curious.

Hiring a coach is almost always a crap shoot. We won't know for close to 3 years if whoever gets hired will start winning enough to be retained. 

But I am confident in Kelly going through the process thoroughly and with diligence. I do hope he reaches out to more than ACC people but then he should have contacts throughout the country.

We all know there are geniuses on this board that KNOW when someone will fail before they get started. I don't buy it myself. Skip looked to be a good hire.  Willie was as much a crap shoot as Skip looking at their past. Charley, I agree, showed some downturn prior to coming here and maybe should have been avoided. Scott came from a good progrum, seemed intelligent and was supposed to be a good recruiter. The one thing they all had in common is that they weren't Jim Leavitt. That sin will come with the next guy barring a long shot beyond long shots that Jim gets hired. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

29 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

Lelo has a ton of life long contacts in Tampa which helped land his spot. Don't think Jeff Scott has that kind of reach. He says he likes Tampa Bay but would doubt he's here past the end of the school year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

Did we get a goodbye from coach shoop? What a bum. Didn’t even make it a full year. I think I will apply for a coaching job at USF. They can’t evaluate  talent and I lol get a fat a@@ed pay check. I mean how much have we wasted on lame ducks. That guy will go down in our books like, awe hell I can’t remember , the old guy from the raiders.

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

Wish him, his family (including his father) all the best.  Sad that the elusive dreams didn't come true in Tampa.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, bulloni said:

Class act through and through. Does Scott have a charity or cause he champions? The Bills have a tradition of blowing up someone's charity when they want to show respect/gratitude towards them. Would be cool to show Scott some support on the way out, regardless of the on field results he truly loved USF

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/01/bills-fans-spearhead-effort-to-donate-to-tua-tagovailoas-foundation/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/2-bills-1-tweet-and-1-reddit-post-triggered-more-than-450-k-for-lamar-jacksons-charity-is-this-sports-next-great-tradition-041835929.html

I think he stole enough money from the university that he can handle that himself. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

18 hours ago, Brad said:

I bet you will.  I think his struggles make you feel better about yourself.  

If I didn’t know better it seems like I am getting baited into a retort, sorry but I like to remain above the fray😀

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

No further retorts requested, thank you. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

On 11/9/2022 at 9:23 AM, CousinRicky said:

Hiring a coach is almost always a crap shoot. We won't know for close to 3 years if whoever gets hired will start winning enough to be retained. 

But I am confident in Kelly going through the process thoroughly and with diligence. I do hope he reaches out to more than ACC people but then he should have contacts throughout the country.

We all know there are geniuses on this board that KNOW when someone will fail before they get started. I don't buy it myself. Skip looked to be a good hire.  Willie was as much a crap shoot as Skip looking at their past. Charley, I agree, showed some downturn prior to coming here and maybe should have been avoided. Scott came from a good progrum, seemed intelligent and was supposed to be a good recruiter. The one thing they all had in common is that they weren't Jim Leavitt. That sin will come with the next guy barring a long shot beyond long shots that Jim gets hired. 

One of the best synopsis of the USF coaching saga I can remember.

Will disagree about Willie being as much a crap shoot as Skip because of their past. Skip's past was head and shoulders above Taggart's and he should have been a no brainer for success here, which is why this isn't an exact science.

And your last 2 sentences were dead on. If the Jim isn't hired, we'll feel the "wrath" of those particular ones still placing an ex-coach over USF football, with that "wrath" manifesting in showing their ass on the message board while not contributing a dime to the program ....................... and please note that's not directed at those who would still want CJL here but care enough about Bulls football to understand that what it takes to continue to try and get to where we want to be is support.