• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Case for and against one more year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

28 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Our #1 problem for the last decade was not hitting on the right coach or the right support. Infrastructure was not the main problem.

Genshaft's top priority while she was here was academics, there's no denying that and considering what a university is there for, it's hard to find fault with that being her monetary focus. She cared about Athletics (enough to donate $1M to the IPF and to try and embarrass asswipe students who wore other school's hats to our sporting events} but probably too much considering the decisions she was apparently responsible for ..... the letting go of what she apparently perceived as under performing coaches. Another thing she was, I assume, responsible for was the academic committee which didn't do Athletics any favors at the time either.

So if you want to keep this hammering on Judy, fine, she definitely deserves it for some things ........ but the lack of infrastructure is a small part of why we're where we are today.

We are ALWAYS going to have a new coach... ALWAYS

We are a bus stop, for coaches going up or going down, but no coach will ever stay here more than 3-4 years. None

We will most likely have a new coach in 2024... then another new coach in 2028... then another new coach in 2032... then another new coach in 2036... then another new coach in 2040...

guaranteed... 

No one will ever stay here for even 1/3rd as long as we had Leavitt.

With the upgraded locker rooms, with the IPF and hopefully the OCS, we are building a better bus stop

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

We are a bus stop, for coaches going up or going down, but no coach will ever stay here more than 3-4 years. None

We will most likely have a new coach in 2024... then another new coach in 2028... then another new coach in 2032... then another new coach in 2036... then another new coach in 2040...

guaranteed... 

With the upgraded locker rooms, with the IPF and hopefully the OCS, we are building a better bus stop

Right! Cincinnati has been a stop and it has served them well. We need to pick better, 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, MikePhillips said:

Our #1 problem for the last decade, is that we kept trying to build our program around our coach

No infrastructure, no investment in facilities, our locker room sucked, we didn't have an IPF and we didn't have an OCS

USF will have a new coach, every 3-4 years from now until eternity... if they are good, they will move up for better money... if they suck, they'll be fired

But no coach will stay here more than 3-4 years... not a single one.

Right now, it's a dumpster fire until we get some more facilties built. Just let Jeff Scott stand there and hold the firehose

Genshaft is finally gone and out of the way of athletics, hence the reason why so many positive things have happened since she left USF as president.

The locker rooms were massively upgraded, and the IPF was built immediately upon Genshaft's retirement. OCS is coming next

Just leave CJS where he is, we've gone through almost a half dozen coaches in the last 15 years... and none of them got us anywhere 

Leave him where he is.. keep building the infrastructure.

I can live with most of this, except, CWT was able to recruit. He sent guys to the NFL with those same facilities and infrastructure issues. Yes, he left, but if we hired Heupel instead of Strong, where would we be? Assume he would have stayed here until the same time he left for Tenn, so we would have had to hire another coach then... the point is, if you continue to hire good coaches, you can sustain success. We have consistently hired poorly.

College football is about the coach and qb. A great coach can find and or develop a QB (or a system that works with the QB they can find).

I would personally fire Scott tomorrow. My wish list would be Leavitt or CWT. If you're just holding the fire hose, those guys can do it and actually win some games I think. Let one of the guys that built the building hold the hose that is trying to put out the fire.

After that, if I had to hire someone that has never been the coach here, my call would be to Ken Dorsey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Days Won:  2

On 10/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, Jim Johnson said:

Counterpoint: There is another aspect that resonates and hurts recruiting, and is likely a big reason why USF only has six commitments at this point.  The widespread discussion about whether or not this coach, and the rest of the staff, will be here past Thanksgiving weekend.  If you were a HS prospect being recruiting by someone who will be gone before you get there, would you make a commitment? Or keep your options open until it all shakes out at the end of the year?

If you were a recruit, would you want to play on a team that is 4 - 24. 

I think the quality of our recruits will continue to lesson as we continue to collect L's.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

So if you want to keep this hammering on Judy, fine, she definitely deserves it for some things ........ but the lack of infrastructure is a small part of why we're where we are today.

Couldn't disagree more. It is a microcosm of the USF football progurm. There is a reason Chuck and Scott were complaining and that is because we are so lost when it comes to football facilities. Schools are spending tens of millions of dollars just to impress kids that come on campus to see those facilities. We didn't spend money for a decade or so on those facilities save for some practice fields. Recruiting and facilities should be #1 priority.

No stadium, last one to get an IPF of the major schools, lack of student engagement. It just screams they\we don't care.

This investment spree needs to be the norm or we can just hope\pray we find someone who can do less with more. Then hope when they leave we can find the next unicorn.

The school needs to recruit itself.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

20 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Couldn't disagree more. It is a microcosm of the USF football progurm. There is a reason Chuck and Scott were complaining and that is because we are so lost when it comes to football facilities. Schools are spending tens of millions of dollars just to impress kids that come on campus to see those facilities. We didn't spend money for a decade or so on those facilities save for some practice fields. Recruiting and facilities should be #1 priority.

No stadium, last one to get an IPF of the major schools, lack of student engagement. It just screams they\we don't care.

This investment spree needs to be the norm or we can just hope\pray we find someone who can do less with more. Then hope when they leave we can find the next unicorn.

The school needs to recruit itself.

CJL didn't need the infrastructure to build the program ..... Willie didn't need the infrastrucure to rebuild to top 25 finishes for the first time. Infrastructure wouldn't have helped Skip that much with his hands tied academically. Skip also did what he did at ECU without an IPF ......... which they still don't have so we're obviously not the last of the "major schools" to get one.

The IPF will definitely help with recruiting but trying to blame all our woes on not having one just doesn't hold a lot of water. Schools without an IPF and/or an ocs have had success with the right coaches. Chuck wasn't the right coach and CJS hasn't been up to this point either but we're still hoping ....

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

16 hours ago, MikePhillips said:

guaranteed... 

the vast majority of schools are stops

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

7 hours ago, Cornada said:

If you were a recruit, would you want to play on a team that is 4 - 24. 

I think the quality of our recruits will continue to lesson as we continue to collect L's.

if i was a recruit

getting a good education and playing would be my priorities

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, MikePhillips said:

guaranteed... 

Absolutely. If someone is successful here they're gone. That's just life in the AAC. 

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, smazza said:

if i was a recruit

getting a good education and playing would be my priorities

As Cardale Jones once said…

3B985DC8-91D6-41B8-96CA-B4219FB7CFAB.jpeg