• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Case for and against one more year

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

I know this may be behind a paywall for some but will put this out here. Maybe you can clear cookies if you've reached a max on free articles (if they still do that). By our friends Matt Baker and Joey Knight.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2022/10/18/usf-football-jeff-scott-hot-seat-coaching-carousel-bulls/

Nothing earth shattering and they don't suggest one or the other. Just laying out the reasons for each option.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

I'm in the 🔥 camp... Buddy just can't get it done unfortunately. 

"Would you want a job that fired three of its last four coaches after three seasons each"

I promise you there are coaches out there that would love to come here for $2m a year... Hell, just grab a local HS coach at this point. 

Edited by Sk00b
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

Nothing in the article that hasn't been covered a lot already.  At least before they tried looking at coaching records and comparing success levels.

7 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

I'm in the 🔥 camp... Buddy just can't get it done unfortunately. 

"Would you want a job that fired three of its last four coaches after three seasons each"

It's a valid point in isolation.  You don't want to fire ppl constantly.  But at this point no reasonable person would say "How could you fire this guy after he only won a single FBS game in 3 years?".

To be honest I wonder how it looks to recruits.  Objectively it's a lot easier/quicker to point at the losses coupled with his extension and say "guess they don't care about winning".  (Heck, look at how many of our own fans say that) It's a lot harder to convey "well he was hired during COVID, our facilities have been lagging, we had to turn to a true freshman one year and this year we were snake bitten by injuries".

So my question is at what point does it become a liability, and you have other coaches saying "Look USFs coach doesn't know how to win and you're going to be stuck with a culture that doesn't care about winning because they can't".  *Regardless of how true that sentiment is* I fear it could resonate and hurt our recruiting.

Would love for an article to address that and tell me how off or on the mark I am about it.

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, Ghostbuster said:

Nothing in the article that hasn't been covered a lot already.  At least before they tried looking at coaching records and comparing success levels.

It's a valid point in isolation.  You don't want to fire ppl constantly.  But at this point no reasonable person would say "How could you fire this guy after he only won a single FBS game in 3 years?".

To be honest I wonder how it looks to recruits.  Objectively it's a lot easier/quicker to point at the losses coupled with his extension and say "guess they don't care about winning".  (Heck, look at how many of our own fans say that) It's a lot harder to convey "well he was hired during COVID, our facilities have been lagging, we had to turn to a true freshman one year and this year we were snake bitten by injuries".

So my question is at what point does it become a liability, and you have other coaches saying "Look USFs coach doesn't know how to win and you're going to be stuck with a culture that doesn't care about winning because they can't".  *Regardless of how true that sentiment is* I fear it could resonate and hurt our recruiting.

Would love for an article to address that and tell me how off or on the mark I am about it.

Counterpoint: There is another aspect that resonates and hurts recruiting, and is likely a big reason why USF only has six commitments at this point.  The widespread discussion about whether or not this coach, and the rest of the staff, will be here past Thanksgiving weekend.  If you were a HS prospect being recruiting by someone who will be gone before you get there, would you make a commitment? Or keep your options open until it all shakes out at the end of the year?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

1 hour ago, Sk00b said:

If it pays well and is a great opportunity, of course.  Ideally you want a challenge and believe in yourself.  If these people are that soft, they probably shouldn't be in this business.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

The easy fix is to right their wrongs…

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

1 minute ago, Bull Awakening said:

The easy fix is to right their wrongs…

So go the Seminole medicine man route ......

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

29 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

If it pays well and is a great opportunity, of course.  Ideally you want a challenge and believe in yourself.  If these people are that soft, they probably shouldn't be in this business.

Is it a "great opportunity" tho? And if you are good at what you do, there will be other places making you the same offer... even if you have to wait a year.