• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

After a 22 pt win???

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

Stay positive, or even just stay balanced.  :)  You'll be one of the few who didn't feel their lives nearly ended last night, with a Win.  

• Haha 2

It is funny though.  I told my son yesterday this game against Howard was a no-win situation for Scott and the team.  There was no way for some here, and on Twitter and Facebook and sitting in the stands,  that yesterday was going to reap any positives.  Many are committed to his failure.  They called it and they now demand it.  Even a 40-50 point win would have brought out the critics to cast insults about how we threw too much or too little or spread it around too much or too little, or didn't run fast enough or jump high enough.  It would only take one misstep or perceived misstep in a 60 minute game to go at his throat.  It's where we are.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I too, was critical during the game.  But after reflection and going back and watching the video, I am a lot more positive.

Defense was missing many starters.  Howard OC called a good game burning us with good screen calls against an aggressive rush.  Our DC adjusted to that fairly well in second half.  We scored 6 TD's.  We gashed them on several big runs.  GB looked decent.  i know he missed some deep throws. but he's not that far off from connecting.  He is a good QB.  He'll hit those this year.  If he had connected on a couple of those, we get separation early and our whole mindset would be different about this game.  Defense forced TO's.  Yes, forced by knocking the ball loose.  We scored TD's on 4 consecutive possessions in the second half.

I was upset we weren't opening up a big lead early, but Howard wasn't just going to come in and roll over and die.  They played hard.  FCS teams stay close to FBS programs every year.  But, we did see a lot of positives in this game.  Some negatives, yes, but it wasn't all negative.  We won.  Enjoy the win.  I still expect to be competitive in at least one of the next two games.  

I suppose we were all uncomfortable in that first half as Notre Dame was their entire game. 

We expected to score 21 on our first possession and blow them out of the water before our second possession.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

It was the slow start that was most annoying...we needed to come out much better than last game and it was still the same slow sloppy start. 

We did settle down and adjust and our depth and talent won us the game.

I think the offense will be fine the defense is for sure a work in progress. 

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,699

Two things happened in the first 30 seconds of the game that alot of folks on this board called for and complained that the coaching staff needed to do.

1. Not defer. Take the kickoff and set the tone

2. Go for the throat from the get go with an aggressive play.

The staff did both and the players didn't execute. I'm not defending the lackluster performance of the staff but pointing out they did do some of the things this group was clamoring for and the players **** the bed. 

Go Bulls!

Edited by mjadams
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Just out of curiosity, is Kelley Joiner still with the team? If so, is he healthy? Always thought that guy was explosive, and wanted to see him more involved in the offense. Says a lot about the depth we have at RB that he isn't getting any PT (assuming he's here and healthy). 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, mjadams said:

Two things happened in the first 30 seconds of the game that alot of folks on this board called for and complained that the coaching staff needed to do.

1. Not defer. Take the kickoff and set the tone

2. Go for the throat from the get go with an aggressive play.

The staff did both and the players didn't execute. I'm not defending the lackluster performance of the staff but pointing out they did do some of the things this group was clamoring for and the players **** the bed. 

Go Bulls!

Nice point. The silence has been deafening on this .......

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

18 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Just out of curiosity, is Kelley Joiner still with the team? If so, is he healthy? Always thought that guy was explosive, and wanted to see him more involved in the offense. Says a lot about the depth we have at RB that he isn't getting any PT (assuming he's here and healthy). 

He is injured...won't get back till maybe by ECU best case.