• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

And here we go…dissolving the NCAA

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

21 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think the sport will always be here. It will just be how one handles where their team is within that sport ....

Will it? Football will be... but "college" football does include some type of "student" aspect, right?

I get these players deserve part of the revenue for which they are responsible to a significant degree... but can you be a Michigan Wolverine without actually going to classes at Michigan?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I really don’t care about fairness one iota, I just want us to be somewhere in the mix of a respectable conference at all costs.  If not then I will ignore the top conferences and CFB can kiss my ass. Most of us are really only interested in our team, I will watch my kids schools as well with a passing interest but the rest of the schools don’t interest me, especially B10 and the SEC (ex. A&M).   I already see the NIL killing the sport, coupled with Super Conferences it is on a death spiral, only question is not if but when. 

The issue now is that the big universities are acting like the NFL in terms of fan interest. Someone may like USF since you went there, but they are betting that USF fans will also cheer for Texas, Ohio State, Georgia, or who ever as a favorite team as well (even if you did not go to school there or have any association). Another way to look at it is who did you cheer for before USF football? The college football powers (tv networks) are counting on you to choose another team as well. Many people have already done this and I assure there are more than a few weeks n this board who have a second team already.

I get what you are saying about following A&M. I am almost done getting my degree from KU and have a personal and athletic history there. I am already dumping USF basketball (small potato’s) for them. Although their football team is complete and total suck ass, at least they play decent schools and have media coverage so I’ll follow them along with USF for football. KU will also get a look from the B10 at some point in my opinion so I don’t have to be too concerned about conference shifts like I do with USF (which is f’n exhausting). The next few years are pivotal for my continued interest in USF football. If we can’t keep up relative to NIL, being in a significant conference, being a part of a new collegiate government body, and being in the highest level (D1), then I certainly have another school to fall back on…with or without a new stadium.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,025
  • Days Won:  38

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

tv networks) are counting on you to choose another team as well. Many people have already done this and I assure there are more than a few weeks n this board who have a second team already.

This is incorrect fan behavior.  I hope this business model flames out gloriously and they collapse. 😄

Edited by Rocky Style
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

This is incorrect fan behavior.  I hope this business model flames out gloriously and they collapse. 😄

What do you mean?

I root for USF... whomever is playing UCF... Michigan State (my father's alma mater)... NC State (I am a grad student)... and finally for the lower ranked/unranked team because I just love chaos.

I watch college football from 11:00am to 11:00pm (or later) for 14 Saturdays from August to December... and a plethora of Thursdays and Fridays.

4 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

What do you mean?

I root for USF... whomever is playing UCF... Michigan State (my father's alma mater)... NC State (I am a grad student)... and finally for the lower ranked/unranked team because I just love chaos.

I watch college football from 11:00am to 11:00pm (or later) for 14 Saturdays from August to December... and a plethora of Thursdays and Fridays.

I am just trolling hehe... 

• Me no likey 1

I am just saying in my opinion it would be lame for USF fans/alum (not alumni from other universities - totally different argument) to adopt a "real football team" and that they accept that the definition of "realness" comes only from a blessing by the Disney Corporation to play in the Disney(tm) Playoffs.  Meanwhile they already have an org that is finally pushing all its chips in.  All I was saying is that it would be fun if this business model gamble that NEB mentioned collapsed under its own weight.  It seems to me like they would be paying more and more money for fewer customers as it gets walled off more and more.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

2 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I am just saying in my opinion it would be lame for USF fans/alum (not alumni from other universities - totally different argument) to adopt a "real football team" and that they accept that the definition of "realness" comes only from a blessing by the Disney Corporation to play in the Disney(tm) Playoffs.  Meanwhile they already have an org that is finally pushing all its chips in.  All I was saying is that it would be fun if this business model gamble that NEB mentioned collapsed under its own weight.  It seems to me like they would be paying more and more money for fewer customers as it gets walled off more and more.  

I agree with this.  Adopting an alternative team to root for is what the pro league is for.  I'm not going to buy a shirt or a hat and rep some big 10 school or some sec school just because they are perceived as being in a bigger league.  I also hope this collapses under its own weight.  The reason people love march madness is because there are underdogs and upsets that actually matter.  When that aspect is completely removed (it almost is now) from college football, it will suck.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

All I can say is that the money, tv revenue, and fan interest already shows that this model is working. You are a diehard, as are many on this board, but outside of us its a different world and perception. Having a degree from another insititution at least gives me the feeling that I am not cheating on USF when following another university, but the reality is other people (especally younger) don't care and will adopt a team that is successful and prbably is in the state in which they live. 

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,522
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Just the threat of a lawsuit forced the P5 to allow access for the G5 to the Bowl Alliance and BCS.

At best what happens is that we go from FBS (I-A), FCS (I-AA), and non-football (I-AAA) along with the lower divisions (D-II and D-III)....

Some on this board would be ecstatic to see USF go non-football.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

51 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

but they are betting that USF fans will also cheer for Texas, Ohio State, Georgia, or who ever as a favorite team as well

I have always had a few teams I watch; USF, Michigan State, Georgia, Maryland, Florida, BYU and Oklahoma State. I generally catch most USF games and whenever time allows, I’ll watch one of the others on replay every now and again. Regardless of how the power conferences change, my watching pattern won’t change with it. I imagine other alumni of mid major level schools do similar and I don’t think that will change if the NCAA goes to a Power 2 or 3; so I don’t know if tv ratings for those games go up if they can still watch their alumni schools. The CFP viewership won’t go up because I would imagine anyone that is a fan of college football will watch regardless of who is playing. I could be wrong, but just my hypothesis.