• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yet another polarizing discussion on the current state of USF Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, puc86 said:
fa·nat·ic
/fəˈnadik/

noun
  1. a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.
    "religious fanatics"

OK, so you want to talk Jeff Scott? Let me tell you why your take on him may be completely correct, but right now it’s total horsecrud.

I currently work with Dan Krone, who was USF’s Assoc. AD for Athletic Facilities under Taggart and Strong. He tells me that eventually the common feeling in the building about Strong and his staff was that they fully expected to be at USF for ONE season and then they would get another shot somewhere in the P5. Dan said at some point Strong and staff were clearly so convinced of this that they flat-out stopped recruiting.

So Scott walks into a program that’s lost 15 of 19, has a culture of losing and not caring about it, and is devoid of talent - in a pandemic, with no practice - and has a forgettable first season. Totally predictable. The rebuild then officially starts - again during a pandemic, trying to recruit for a down-in-the-dumps program. The 2021 season is another forgettable one that could have been better, but not a whole lot, given the circumstances. What 2 or 3 more wins, realistically?

So you and others are now fully in fire Jeff Scott mode. It flat out doesn’t make sense at this point. It’s not making excuses, it’s just reality. You wanted a miracle worker. Me too. But the odds were well stacked against it. Am I anointing him the next Nick Saban? Surely not, but to be so sure he’s not the guy at this point just doesn’t make sense.

I’m not saying you may not ultimately be right, but give the guy a break.

I’ll tell you what, let’s make it interesting. If the Bulls don’t win 6 games this season, I’ll write John Lewis a check for $500. If they do, you write him one - and maybe John arranges a photo of you handing it to Coach Scott, Horns Up! I have all the risk here. I face another cruddy season and having to write a check.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

OK, so you want to talk Jeff Scott? Let me tell you why your take on him may be completely correct, but right now it’s total horsecrud.

I currently work with Dan Krone, who was USF’s Assoc. AD for Athletic Facilities under Taggart and Strong. He tells me that eventually the common feeling in the building about Strong and his staff was that they fully expected to be at USF for ONE season and then they would get another shot somewhere in the P5. Dan said at some point Strong and staff were clearly so convinced of this that they flat-out stopped recruiting.

So Scott walks into a program that’s lost 15 of 19, has a culture of losing and not caring about it, and is devoid of talent - in a pandemic, with no practice - and has a forgettable first season. Totally predictable. The rebuild then officially starts - again during a pandemic, trying to recruit for a down-in-the-dumps program. The 2021 season is another forgettable one that could have been better, but not a whole lot, given the circumstances. What 2 or 3 more wins, realistically?

So you and others are now fully in fire Jeff Scott mode. It flat out doesn’t make sense at this point. It’s not making excuses, it’s just reality. You wanted a miracle worker. Me too. But the odds were well stacked against it. Am I anointing him the next Nick Saban? Surely not, but to be so sure he’s not the guy at this point just doesn’t make sense.

I’ll tell you what, let’s make it interesting. If the Bulls don’t win 6 games this season, I’ll write John Lewis a check for $500. If they do, you write him one - and maybe John arranges a photo of you handing it to Coach Scott, Horns Up! I have all the risk here. I face another cruddy season and having to write a check.

I cannot accept the terms of your offer (just ask why)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

15 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I cannot accept the terms of your offer (just ask why)

a) Because you won't donate $500 to USF Athletics
b) You don't want to meet Jeff Scott
c) You don't wager
d) a and b
e) a and c
f) b and c
g) neither a or b or c
h) all of the above (I know it isn't possible)

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

c) You don't wager
d) a and b
e) a and c
f) b and c
g) neither a or b or c

I think I’ve read enough of pucs post to take a stab it.  He won’t give $500 to USF athletics because the current leadership (VPMK) will just piss it away 😂

13 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

c) You don't wager
d) a and b
e) a and c
f) b and c
g) neither a or b or c

G It’s because I’ve used the last of my emergency checks a while ago and I have no intention of ever getting checks again.  I do believe my wife has a joint account with checks but this hardly seems like a reason to transfer to it. Change the language to ach or card and it’s perfectly acceptable terms that I would be more than happy to pay $83 in arrears per enjoyable weekend. I can send whatever information to whomever right this very moment which authorizes the charge following the completion of the 6th win this season.

9 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I think I’ve read enough of pucs post to take a stab it.  He won’t give $500 to USF athletics because the current leadership (VPMK) will just piss it away 😂

Nope it’s because of specific language about needing to use a check, which I don’t have 

Edited by puc86

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

G It’s because I’ve used the last of my emergency checks a while ago and I have no intention of ever getting checks again.  I do believe my wife has a joint account with checks but this hardly seems like a reason to transfer to it. Change the language to ach or card and it’s perfectly acceptable terms that I would be more than happy to pay $83 in arrears per enjoyable weekend. I can send whatever information to whoever right this very moment to whomever which authorizes the charge following the completion of the 6th win this season.

Nope it’s because of specific language about needing to use a check, which I don’t have 

Who's the other guy or gal?  😁 

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Who's the other guy or gal?  😁 

Hopefully someone with more money that can help offset her negative equity 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,917
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Trust me, I get it ...... but message boards are like magnets to the obsessive types. Just the nature of the beast. Honestly, the Ignore function does work great most of the time.

We really are a society that simply can’t handle an opposing view. I am not sure how i am obsessive? It is never productive to simply label someone that you don’t agree with but this is the intellectually lazy approach that so many resort to.   I agree with everything that NEB and PUC said on this off topic thread and don’t feel the need to regurgitate these views.  I also believe Brad and Dave are super fans and the university is lucky to have them, so if they wish to muzzle a few of us to draw more like them then I am all for it and will do my part. 

• Go Bulls! 2

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

As for firing CJS at this very moment I definitely do not support that. I do however take umbrage with a few things. Extending his contract this season is unconscionable and should have resulted in immediate termination (add to it everyone and it’s a comedy of errors that should have people marching to the athletics facility with pitchforks), the claim it doesn’t change anything since florida statutes set the max termination payout at 20 weeks is silly  as  we are aware that not a single football coach in florida is only getting 20 week severance and it’s even more abundantly clear to us because that’s not what we paid our last fired coach despite the public facing contract stating that.

I also find it laughable that people think 3 wins in two years are simply because of CJS being fortune’s fool and not because of any decisions he made ie hiring for dc a person he was somehow able to judge as failed during the exact same period he was facing such unfortunate and uncontrollable circumstances, while at the same time trumpeting that 4 wins in a single season was more than enough to lead to termination of ccs and laid the ground work for CJS years of more severe failure. 

Most CJS apologists have already been laying the ground work for excusing away a four win or less season in CJS’ third year and I appreciate that you are setting the bar at 6 wins. If we get to 6 I can see a path to progress and while these two years weren’t necessary we did get a green coach that can require some growth (as long as in year three there is demonstrated growth).

It’s year three and contests have consequences in this zero sum game. We a years into navigating Covid, we have better facilities than any other coach has gotten to use, he just was able to revamp his coaching staff using more money than any coach has been able to spend and we are competing in the worst conference we have ever been in which is only getting worse. 50D16D3D-553E-4BCC-B723-F91CEF39E087.jpeg.1f25f7911d2901b46108a5c286750b81.jpeg

Edited by puc86
  • Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

We really are a society that simply can’t handle an opposing view. I am not sure how i am obsessive? It is never productive to simply label someone that you don’t agree with but this is the intellectually lazy approach that so many resort to.   I agree with everything that NEB and PUC said on this off topic thread and don’t feel the need to regurgitate these views.  I also believe Brad and Dave are super fans and the university is lucky to have them, so if they wish to muzzle a few of us to draw more like them then I am all for it and will do my part. 

Personally, I don’t include you in the obsession category. You’ve got other, more disturbing issues ….