• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory must go

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Murphy would be no big loss. He's one dimensional on offense and doesn't create shots for others as a point guard.

I agree, going somewhere else is not going to magically give him the ability to shoot the ball.  Eventually Gregory has to stumble upon someone that can actually make a jump shot.  Gregory is cancer for shooters.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

32 minutes ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Because he's not a true point guard. But, the shots are there off of the penetration, it's just that nobody is hitting them with any consistency.

I'll give you that - nobody can hit a shot, but he's clearly out of position as a point guard and can't play the two spot because he has no range. His mid-range jumper off a screen is decent and he's good in the rare open-court opportunity, but he doesn't penetrate and score or dish in the half-court offense. He does a lot of dribbling around the perimeter. There's not much to his game. He's super athletic, I'll give him that, but I don't think he's that hard to guard in the half-court offense because he can't stretch a defender. If you're defending him, you just sag 2-3 feet inside the arc and he's neutralized. That's what everyone did last year after they figured him out. Certainly he'd be a bit more effective if there was a perimeter threat or two to help him out, but despite his ranking out of high school, he's not one of the top players we've had - even though there haven't been that many. And let's not even talk about the FT line. You want your point guard there at the end of games, but not him.

This is not really meant to be a tear-down job on Murphy, although I don't think he's nearly worth the hype/ranking he garnered. He would be more productive on a better team with some help around him, but I think more than a few of us expected a player ranked as highly as he was would be a guy that could put a team on his back at times and find a way to get us a bucket when we're in the midst of a 5-6 minute scoreless drought. He's young, so maybe down the line somewhere?

I guess my real point here is that if anyone is worried about losing anyone on this team to the transfer portal, you need to find something else to worry about. None of them are worth your concern when it comes to that. I see some potential in McCreary, Walker, and Moss. Murphy, Tchewa, and Chaplin can be solid contributors if they play specific roles, but I wouldn't lose sleep over any of the guys on this roster entering the transfer portal.  

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Because he's not a true point guard. But, the shots are there off of the penetration, it's just that nobody is hitting them with any consistency.

Murphy is a small forward is a 2's body. I think his passing skills have really diminished since the first half of last year. I am over watching him pass up open 3 pointers to take one dribble and throw up a contested 19 footer.  The coaching staff has done him a diservice.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I don’t think Murphy is the guy to be down on. His FG% is up from last year, his rebounds are up from last year and his assists are up from last year despite this being the worst shooting team in D1. He’s being asked to be something that he isn’t and needs to be paired with a true PG so he can play off the ball much like Chaplin does now. It boggles the mind with all the scholarships available, Gregory couldn’t find a true PG and at least one dependable shooter.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

On 1/11/2022 at 5:10 PM, Paisa el Toro said:

Correction, minimal to no offense. We're a pretty poor shooting team.

You got him for 5 more years!

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

8 minutes ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

I don’t think Murphy is the guy to be down on. His FG% is up from last year, his rebounds are up from last year and his assists are up from last year despite this being the worst shooting team in D1. He’s being asked to be something that he isn’t and needs to be paired with a true PG so he can play off the ball much like Chaplin does now. It boggles the mind with all the scholarships available, Gregory couldn’t find a true PG and at least one dependable shooter.

Should had saved some of those scholarships.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

Most of his stats are improved but as a point guard one of your responsibilities is to get the ball to your teammates in "their spot."

John Stockton said the most important stat for a PG is team FG%. USF currently ranks #341 in team FG%.

The criticism is justified.

Edited by SantaBull

1 hour ago, SantaBull said:

Most of his stats are improved but as a point guard one of your responsibilities is to get the ball to your teammates in "their spot."

John Stockton said the most important stat for a PG is team FG%. USF currently ranks #341 in team FG%.

The criticism is justified.

He's not a point guard, and neither the coaching staff nor his teammates are doing anything to help him succeed in that role. He's a second-year combo guard with explosive athleticism who happens to be one of the two guys on the team than can bring the ball across half court without turning it over. That's not a Caleb Murphy problem, that's a personnel problem. John Stockton was passing to Karl Malone off the roll in the paint or Hornacek, a 40+% career 3-pt shooter. There are no Malones or Hornaceks on this roster. Tell me honestly how many really bad 3's you've seen this team take this year. These guys are missing open looks.

The insanity of wanting to jettison the best player on the team is peak TBP.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

The insanity of wanting to jettison the best player on the team is peak TBP.

To plagiarize your handle just a bit, we should “Fold MBB Invest in FB.” 🤪

Edited by NewEnglandBull