• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those crazy kids at the Oracle are at it again: USF football attendance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, hightechbull said:

If you think Leavitt would still be head coach of USF with his piss poor conference record then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

The downfall of USF football can be tied to the untimely death of Lee Roy Selmon.  He was the real driver behind USF's success in football and athletics overall.  If he was still alive we would already have an OCS.  He could get on the phone, call a few key donors, and we would have the funds to build an OCS.

There is definitely a timing correlation there.  Not sure the correlation is the same as causation in this case.  Either way Lee Roy Selmon is certainly missed.  He was taken way too soon.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  89
  • Days Won:  0

59 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

There is definitely a timing correlation there.  Not sure the correlation is the same as causation in this case.  Either way Lee Roy Selmon is certainly missed.  He was taken way too soon.

Who replaced Lee Roy is the bigger problem. Doug Woolard found a great retirement job in Tampa and squandered all the momentum.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2

We lack school spirit. 

Our fan base consists of fair weather fans as can be seen in this post. From students to alumni we simply do not beleive we belong. Students should attend, its built into their fees they should come out and cheer our team. Alumni should not act as if they came to the game to attend a funeral. If you want to sit in comfort and complain stay at home and watch on TV. Cheer your team establish tradition beleiving comes before doing. It is for lack of belief that we suck. And I do not beleive we are second rate and I will attend and cheer as a first rate college football team which we are.

We have been in games with nationally ranked teams and we are being outdone in cheering and excitement by crowds a fraction of ours. I understand games like Tulane make us all lose our faith. But we have got to get the believing right before this turns around building a stadium doesn't fix that.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

35 minutes ago, Bullsfanfromday1 said:

We lack school spirit. 

Our fan base consists of fair weather fans as can be seen in this post. From students to alumni we simply do not beleive we belong. Students should attend, its built into their fees they should come out and cheer our team. Alumni should not act as if they came to the game to attend a funeral. If you want to sit in comfort and complain stay at home and watch on TV. Cheer your team establish tradition beleiving comes before doing. It is for lack of belief that we suck. And I do not beleive we are second rate and I will attend and cheer as a first rate college football team which we are.

We have been in games with nationally ranked teams and we are being outdone in cheering and excitement by crowds a fraction of ours. I understand games like Tulane make us all lose our faith. But we have got to get the believing right before this turns around building a stadium doesn't fix that.

“Some” of the alumni on social media are a complete joke. The things they say, the way they act, it such an embarrassment. Most did nothing in supporting the team when it was winning and now relish the moment when they are down. I would rather they just keep their mouth shut and go on their way.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

On 12/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, hm101 said:

My goodness spare me. The product isn't great. Once it improves casual fans will be willing to shell out 100+ for a game for the family again. Until then you only get the diehards IF THAT, to watch us with no reason for optimism until the 2nd half of this season. 

Thank you. Our program is not 100 years old like some of these other schools. Plus just like in every sport, the fans will come out once you start winning. I remember when I was in college (at UF), I worked as an usher at the O'Dome. We sucked and the crowd wasnt big. Once Billy Donovan became the coach and ex-NBA Jason Williams aka "White Chocolate" transfered to the team, we started winning. The arena was packed. Its just as simple as you said. When the product improves, the fans will come. 

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

30 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Thank you. Our program is not 100 years old like some of these other schools. Plus just like in every sport, the fans will come out once you start winning. I remember when I was in college (at UF), I worked as an usher at the O'Dome. We sucked and the crowd wasnt big. Once Billy Donovan became the coach and ex-NBA Jason Williams aka "White Chocolate" transfered to the team, we started winning. The arena was packed. Its just as simple as you said. When the product improves, the fans will come. 

No, build an On-campus stadium.  Basically everyone that lives on campus will make it a Saturday thing to do.  It really is as simple as that.  Most ladies don't care a lick about football but they do like the social experience of a Saturday of getting dolled up and being at the game.  Most of your alum like returning to campus and the "pageantry" of it all.

That's what has been missing the past 15 years and it has translated to recruiting, conference alignment and winning.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

If they think attendance is bad now, they should do a follow-up piece in 2023 when the “new” AAC starts.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

9 minutes ago, USFreak said:

That's what has been missing the past 15 years and it has translated to recruiting, conference alignment and winning.

Yet somehow we managed to win and jump to a better conference before that while playing at RayJay. If there was any miscue by Athletics, besides coaching hires, these past 15 years it's been the lack of an IPF/football center, which would better translate to more wins which would hopefully translate to a conference jump.

Just to be clear, I'm all for an ocs and hope it finally comes to fruition, but to try and put that as even a major contributor to where we are now isn't really defensible.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

10 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

If they think attendance is bad now, they should do a follow-up piece in 2023 when the “new” AAC starts.

The hardcore fans are really the only ones supporting and going to games right now. They're going to see USF, not who they're playing so the only noticeable drop will be missing the every other year when the ****heads would have come to town ...

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238

When I want to be miserable I just go to the dentist or clean my bathroom.