• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Those crazy kids at the Oracle are at it again: USF football attendance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

Also, to be clear - my daughter visited UCF and UF...YES UCF!  She'll likely go to one of those two (and yes, we are OOS).

I went to USF when it was a s__t b_x (finding it from Maryland and finding it a good match) and I did fine with my life.  We all can.  But just do what you can when you can and USF missed the boat on SO, SO, SO many things.  Time to do some shady accounting, build something that lasts and move the needle.  

Edited by USFreak
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, USFRaider said:

I am still of the opinion that attendance hit the skids because the Big East dissolved and USF was left behind to join the minor league AAC. IMO, attendance is only going to get worse in the next few seasons as the minor league AAC morphs into Conference USA 2.0 Tampa is a pro sports town with plenty of entertainment options. No one outside of the hardcores cares about the AAC.

I tend to lean in the same direction. It was such a relief to leave CUSA behind and play against - just bein' honest - teams people had heard of. There was always potential. The next thing. But once the BE dissolved, and the P5/G5 line of demarcation was established, that made marketing USF football even harder. Plus,  there's only so much juice in the "but it's your alma mater!" grape.  A lot of things got all perfect stormy to make selling USF football more difficult. We can complain about attendance until the cows come home, but the bottom line is that a whole lot has to change before attendance increases and levels off at a healthy plateau. We don't need spikes in attendance, we need a stable, healthy fanbase. Very Catch 22 at times. 😎

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

8 hours ago, Cornada said:

I want a real nice stadium on campus that I can enjoy before I die.   I'm fine with the university, city, county, and state going in debt for me to have my stadium.  If you don't like it then SUCK IT.

didnt the state build it for florida and fsu?

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

I tend to lean in the same direction. It was such a relief to leave CUSA behind and play against - just bein' honest - teams people had heard of. There was always potential. The next thing. But once the BE dissolved, and the P5/G5 line of demarcation was established, that made marketing USF football even harder. Plus,  there's only so much juice in the "but it's your alma mater!" grape.  A lot of things got all perfect stormy to make selling USF football more difficult. We can complain about attendance until the cows come home, but the bottom line is that a whole lot has to change before attendance increases and levels off at a healthy plateau. We don't need spikes in attendance, we need a stable, healthy fanbase. Very Catch 22 at times. 😎

Has been a total fail since day 1. 

2 hours ago, smazza said:

didnt the state build it for florida and fsu?

Yes, then the State legislature (filled with uf and fsu alumni) passed laws to stop it.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It's not that there are too few fans it's, there's just too many seats. Compress the fans until it hurts. Oddly, the other night at the BC game there were more players than fans. The announcers talked about since one had played or coached there. They cant get people interested because they aren't the same BC caliber teams as days of old. Sound familiar? 

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, USFreak said:

My reply to this topic.  I live in Colorado and have 2-3 kids in the "college age".  One didn't care at all about football and went to more of a tech school.

The second, we visited quite a few schools and, to be blunt, it matters.  We went to a small(ish) school in Montana (Montana State) and the Saturday gameday atmosphere - electric.  We went to Colorado State.  A small school in a small conference. Electric.  Like I LOVED IT. I've been with my son to a game at Western Colorado this year.  Maybe 4500 fans.  Electric.  My daughter went and visited UF and UCF a month ago - electric.  The common thread.  An on-campus stadium.  

I told my old boy Dave Glaser (who probably will still let me buy a few overprice boat drinks and watch his cover band) that I bypassed USF for her for that very reason. I literally told my daughter "look somewhere else."  He was disgusted.  I feel it, but USF ain't "next level" until they make that change.  The results and failure is right there - who is in the Big 12?  UCF  Who can make the next jump.  Not us. They should have been on it 15 years ago and not fired Leavitt.  Tell me I'm wrong.  We are an AAC team I watched 8 minutes of on Nov 26th....a dude that was die-hard...die-hard 15 years ago.  I could care less.  

Build a stadium tomorrow and get to the business of making it a true campus experience.

If you think Leavitt would still be head coach of USF with his piss poor conference record then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

The downfall of USF football can be tied to the untimely death of Lee Roy Selmon.  He was the real driver behind USF's success in football and athletics overall.  If he was still alive we would already have an OCS.  He could get on the phone, call a few key donors, and we would have the funds to build an OCS.

• Go Bulls! 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,549
  • Days Won:  29

24 minutes ago, hightechbull said:

The downfall of USF football can be tied to the untimely death of Lee Roy Selmon.  He was the real driver behind USF's success in football and athletics overall.  If he was still alive we would already have an OCS.  He could get on the phone, call a few key donors, and we would have the funds to build an OCS.

I think this is a bit exaggerated . . . 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

9 minutes ago, E.T. said:

I think this is a bit exaggerated . . . 

His spiel is way off.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

10 hours ago, USFreak said:

My reply to this topic.  I live in Colorado and have 2-3 kids in the "college age".  One didn't care at all about football and went to more of a tech school.

The second, we visited quite a few schools and, to be blunt, it matters.  We went to a small(ish) school in Montana (Montana State) and the Saturday gameday atmosphere - electric.  We went to Colorado State.  A small school in a small conference. Electric.  Like I LOVED IT. I've been with my son to a game at Western Colorado this year.  Maybe 4500 fans.  Electric.  My daughter went and visited UF and UCF a month ago - electric.  The common thread.  An on-campus stadium.  

I told my old boy Dave Glaser (who probably will still let me buy a few overprice boat drinks and watch his cover band) that I bypassed USF for her for that very reason. I literally told my daughter "look somewhere else."  He was disgusted.  I feel it, but USF ain't "next level" until they make that change.  The results and failure is right there - who is in the Big 12?  UCF  Who can make the next jump.  Not us. They should have been on it 15 years ago and not fired Leavitt.  Tell me I'm wrong.  We are an AAC team I watched 8 minutes of on Nov 26th....a dude that was die-hard...die-hard 15 years ago.  I could care less.  

Build a stadium tomorrow and get to the business of making it a true campus experience.

It looks like, hopefully, we're on the way to having an ocs which will be great but blaming where we are primarily because of not having one is total bs. UCF is where they're going to, and we're not, is because they hit on coaching hires and we didn't PERIOD Every team that moved up this time was first and foremost because of their successes on the field not where that field is. USF can build an awesome ocs but if they're still winning 2-3 FBS games a year, that ain't "next level".

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

On 12/2/2021 at 10:31 AM, hightechbull said:

If that was true, we should have had a lot stronger donor base during our time at the Big Boy's table. I love LeeRoy on so many levels for what he did do here, except when he signed the UCF series, but even he couldn't get blood out of a rock ...

• Upvote 3