• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lack of fiery personalities….

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Tough thing about Friday is UCF plays well at home. I hope our Bulls show up but it could very well be similar to yesterday. That being said, i think Tulane has a better D than UCF. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, BulledOver said:

1) so you knew my ex-wife hey? I wondered about that. 2) this board has been set ablaze by many over the years 3) tough to be content when all you witness is: "mal" (I liked that one) 4) of course people care otherwise we would go elsewhere 5) "win again" we can only hope (actually that is all we have is "hope") 6) friday-gotta give you the 2 ? up on that one. Let's say this on that, friday will tell us a lot about the nature of this team-coaches. A team that allegedly has No seniors that want to leave (as advertised-well except one so far) because "they feel there is something special and we are about to bust out"...? Where were those fired up 5-6 year seniors saturday?    So, friday will say a lot about the state of USF football. 

I don't think the seniors want to leave because , I don't think any of them will get free college or be able to play football at the next level.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

My 2 cents on the McClain or Fortin discussion.... McClain has more potential, and that is probably why many would prefer him to start. He runs better, can throw further, all the tools of a good QB. Fortin has had a rough go of it since coming to USF. He keeps getting hurt. When he does get his chance, he is in over his head. However, if the game went on for a 5th and 6th quarter, I would 100% feel better about playing Fortin the rest of the way given how bad Timmy looked. Timmy seemed careless with his throws, as if the main priority of a QB is to juke out a Dlineman. There seemed to be no focus of what might happen pre play. I have no idea if Fortin might be anything, but I am not sure how the panic button hasn't been pressed on this QB situation. Which means we try out all our options. 

The only credit I give to coach Scott yesterday was giving Fortin a shot. All this being said, I would still likely start McClain vs UCF. We need his upside to win most likely. But I'd give a slightly shorter leash than your average starter. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Yep, we need fewer academically inclined athletes taking up valuable space in COLLEGE.  I think once you get past "see ball, get ball" that's about all college football players really need upstairs. 😏 Maybe coach Reggie Dunlop of the Charlestown Chiefs might offer some insight vis-a-vis the Hansen Brothers? The days of dumb kids (can we say that? Or is that wrong? Should I have said "academically challenged"? What's the acceptable phrase? ) who can do nothing but play are in the rear view mirror. You'll never sell "maybe we need to back off the intellectual aptitude a tad" to any university. 

The team, in athletics and in other endeavors, take on the personality of the leader (coach). So, you've got the CJL "loose cannon" method of motivation and at the other end of the spectrum you've got the "stay focused and execute" method. What difference would it make to have a fiery leader of an average team? If the ability isn't there, it isn't there. If the coach is trying to square-peg-round-hole, all the screaming and chest bumpin' in the world won't change things.  If all you've got is square pegs, maybe abandon your pre-conceived notions about what it takes to win (is that based on what worked over at x-school?), and start working on a system that capitalizes on the ability of the square pegs. Here's a pretty good read on coaching styles : https://onlinesportmanagement.ku.edu/community/styles-of-coaching. I like the term "pushing a cloud through a doorway".

Bottom Line: USF football needs a lot of things, maybe one of them might be a 'fiery personality', but I think that's way down on the list. 

Ok, so while I can agree that you don’t want “blockheads”, tell me the last time Stanford, Vanderbilt or Duke has won anything of note. 
- Anything written by Kansas on football is discredited. 
- I would argue that there is a clear difference between Football IQ and Academic IQ. 
- QBs, MLBs and Safeties need to be very sharp. They are the leaders and they are responsible or much of the alignment on the field. If you look at the greats, Brady, Manning, Young, Elway, Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis, John Lynch, Ed Reed, we’re ALL Alpha, fiery personalities that would hold themselves and teammates accountable. When you ask their teammates, they would attest to them providing the spark and energy to the team. 
- Defense is very instinctive, and athletically demanding. Outside of the MLB and Safeties, there is very little “critical thinking” involved. Again, I am not saying they are stupid, but the proper understanding of science, history or the arts is not a requirement to do a very good job
- While I appreciate a smart coach, let’s not say we need a rocket scientist at the helm (Matt Patricia did an amazing job transforming the Lions that were competitive under Caldwell, to a sorry excuse for a football team in a couple of years). The team takes on the personality of the coach, and a high energy, passionate team will outperform a similarly talented sterile team like we have. 
- If anyone actually believes that Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio State and whoever else holds their football players to the same standards as “regular” students, they are beyond delusional. 
- 100 football players are NOT taking the place of a single student at any university. Their “education” is free of cost to the school and the extra seat does not impact the class at all. 

Regardless of what is said or written, football is not overly complicated. You magnify your strengths and hide your weaknesses; you expose your enemies weakness and work around their strengths. It is a passionate, violent chess game. There is strategic and physical challenges. It’s a game that runs on emotion and momentum. If you don’t have that, it doesn’t matter how many Rhodes Scholars you have, your not going to win championships. 

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/21/2021 at 1:49 AM, WhoRUSF said:

I think you mean we need CJL back. If that is what you are saying, I am ready to buy season tickets until the day I die. This university seems to care more about being lame than winning. He slapped a player?? THEY HIT EACH OTHER ALL DAY. Wake up and get some spunk back. This isn't a soft city, and we don't deserve this SOFT program. I just want passion. BRING BACK JIM. 

Do you not know why he was fired?  He lied to the administration about it and he tried to cover up the investigation by trying to coerce players into changing their stories.  If this lead to a criminal investigation CJL would have been wearing an orange outfit and "shower sliders" at Falkenburg Road Jail, and they would not allow him to participate in pit bull rehabilitation training at the Pet Resource Center next door. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

53 minutes ago, hightechbull said:

Do you not know why he was fired?  He lied to the administration about it and he tried to cover up the investigation by trying to coerce players into changing their stories.  If this lead to a criminal investigation CJL would have been wearing an orange outfit and "shower sliders" at Falkenburg Road Jail, and they would not allow him to participate in pit bull rehabilitation training at the Pet Resource Center next door. 

Interestingly enough there were plenty of people that saw things the same way and the supposed victim later indicated that the story wasn’t quite like what became the official story. So how exactly did you get fired for lying and would end up in an orange jumpsuit for not saying that things happened the way that was objectively untrue? Every single eye witness account is wildly different in life and when people discuss things they then fill in the gap to have seen the same wrong thing of which they will be  💯 positive that it happened exactly the way they claimed, even if it’s wildly different than what happened. The investigation occurred because they were looking for a change and were in search of a reason, they then found the reason and latched onto it but that doesn’t make it something that someone would have then had to accept the created truth of and there is absolutely no chance that it would have made a difference to the predetermined outcome. CR says he knew on the bus ride from a game that he was gone and that had nothing to do with any sensationalized event. 

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Interestingly enough there were plenty of people that saw things the same way and the supposed victim later indicated that the story wasn’t quite like what became the official story. So how exactly did you get fired for lying and would end up in an orange jumpsuit for not saying that things happened the way that was objectively untrue? Every single eye witness account is wildly different in life and when people discuss things they then fill in the gap to have seen the same wrong thing of which they will be  💯 positive that it happened exactly the way they claimed, even if it’s wildly different than what happened. The investigation occurred because they were looking for a change and were in search of a reason, they then found the reason and latched onto it but that doesn’t make it something that someone would have then had to accept the created truth of and there is absolutely no chance that it would have made a difference to the predetermined outcome. CR says he knew on the bus ride from a game that he was gone and that had nothing to do with any sensationalized event. 

Yep it was a bad situation all around but let's be real, they put thr program in a nosedive firing the godfather CJL. Judy didn't want someone bigger than her in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Yep it was a bad situation all around but let's be real, they put thr program in a nosedive firing the godfather CJL. Judy didn't want someone bigger than her in my opinion.

I’m not sure about that. I think enough important people told her that we could do better, which obviously was in fact possible and I think they just under estimated how hard it was to do better and while not even considering how much easier and more likely it is to do worse.

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I’m not sure about that. I think enough important people told her that we could do better, which obviously was in fact possible and I think they just under estimated how hard it was to do better and while not even considering how much easier and more likely it is to do worse.

Well these important  people ruined the program and she is gone. Bring back the godfather ! THERE IS NO WAY OUR DEFENSE WOULD BE THIS BAD.

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Well these important  people ruined the program and she is gone. Bring back the godfather ! THERE IS NO WAY OUR DEFENSE WOULD BE THIS BAD.

Well the good news is most moved on after they were wrong, so they didn’t have to deal with it.