• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lack of fiery personalities….

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Fortin has some upside but he is a poor version TM. Fortin does not have the same arm strength or mobility that TM has and that gap is only going to bigger each year. TM needs to finish up this year, put on some muscle (which he said is the plan at last weeks press conference) and hit the playbook. He will, in my opinion, be the fourth best QB in the program’s history when he is done. 

Yep. McC has potential. And yep he has an arm but his passes need to sail somewhere near the receivers or, we get 6'-7" recvrs. Like I say, hopefully he is the guy but somehow he needs to be coached up to get some of the sandlot style out of his play. Worked in high school but he will get killed at D1. What I dont respect with Fortin, he had a better offer to play in the P5 but was talked in by CJS only to have McC be seen as the next D.Watson?? Hopefully, for all our sake this dumpster fire gets worked out. USF should have been so pumped up yesterday since they knew we had a good chance of winning but....it looked like 2020 all over again?? That is a concern at this point after of some prior efforts. Lethargy was the game plan. Again, Miller leaving the team raises questions. Our problems go way way beyond the QB position. IF we are on the UP SWING why the massive letdown? Focus should have been on winning the last 2 games-make a statement..that was a statement but-dont like the message. maybe we will have a team show up at UCF? If not..another national tv embarrassment. That would be a recruiting plus.

My feelings are far from sour grapes they are just based upon what we are showing, the when and how. I am ever hopeful that USF someday-has winning seasons again. We are the perpetual Rebuilding program. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,775
  • Days Won:  3

We need to recruit kids that have a chip on their should and forget about the 3.0 GPA students. 

Yep, we need fewer academically inclined athletes taking up valuable space in COLLEGE.  I think once you get past "see ball, get ball" that's about all college football players really need upstairs. 😏 Maybe coach Reggie Dunlop of the Charlestown Chiefs might offer some insight vis-a-vis the Hansen Brothers? The days of dumb kids (can we say that? Or is that wrong? Should I have said "academically challenged"? What's the acceptable phrase? ) who can do nothing but play are in the rear view mirror. You'll never sell "maybe we need to back off the intellectual aptitude a tad" to any university. 

The team, in athletics and in other endeavors, take on the personality of the leader (coach). So, you've got the CJL "loose cannon" method of motivation and at the other end of the spectrum you've got the "stay focused and execute" method. What difference would it make to have a fiery leader of an average team? If the ability isn't there, it isn't there. If the coach is trying to square-peg-round-hole, all the screaming and chest bumpin' in the world won't change things.  If all you've got is square pegs, maybe abandon your pre-conceived notions about what it takes to win (is that based on what worked over at x-school?), and start working on a system that capitalizes on the ability of the square pegs. Here's a pretty good read on coaching styles : https://onlinesportmanagement.ku.edu/community/styles-of-coaching. I like the term "pushing a cloud through a doorway".

Bottom Line: USF football needs a lot of things, maybe one of them might be a 'fiery personality', but I think that's way down on the list. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Yep. McC has potential. And yep he has an arm but his passes need to sail somewhere near the receivers or, we get 6'-7" recvrs. Like I say, hopefully he is the guy but somehow he needs to be coached up to get some of the sandlot style out of his play. Worked in high school but he will get killed at D1. What I dont respect with Fortin, he had a better offer to play in the P5 but was talked in by CJS only to have McC be seen as the next D.Watson?? Hopefully, for all our sake this dumpster fire gets worked out. USF should have been so pumped up yesterday since they knew we had a good chance of winning but....it looked like 2020 all over again?? That is a concern at this point after of some prior efforts. Lethargy was the game plan. Again, Miller leaving the team raises questions. Our problems go way way beyond the QB position. IF we are on the UP SWING why the massive letdown? Focus should have been on winning the last 2 games-make a statement..that was a statement but-dont like the message. maybe we will have a team show up at UCF? If not..another national tv embarrassment. That would be a recruiting plus.

My feelings are far from sour grapes they are just based upon what we are showing, the when and how. I am ever hopeful that USF someday-has winning seasons again. We are the perpetual Rebuilding program. 

I agree, he is very raw and needs work. I thought that was why BJ was there…maybe BJ is the problem as well? He should be better next year as you simply cannot substitute experience. In terms of running around, I must say I have been less impressed with the WRs than many of you on this board. Most, simply cannot get open. Consequently McLean is running for his life. I will always want a mobile quarterback for USF it’s something that we have to have no exceptions. In terms of the let down, I think this team thought that they could beat Tulane easily and were simply not prepared mentally. It happens with a young team sometimes. Is it acceptable? No. Is it the fault of the couches? Yes, absolutely. I think they were focused on winning two games instead of winning the first game in front of them. Miller, was not getting PT, so that happens. He is good but let’s not get overblown with his ability. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree, he is very raw and needs work. I thought that was why BJ was there…maybe BJ is the problem as well? He should be better next year as you simply cannot substitute experience. In terms of running around, I must say I have been less impressed with the WRs And many of you on this board. Most, simply cannot get open. Consequently McLean is running for his life. I will always want a mobile quarterback for USF it’s something that we have to have no exceptions. In terms of the let down, I think this team thought that they could beat Tulane easily and we’re simply not prepared mentally. It happens with a young team sometimes. Is it acceptable? No. Is it the fall of the couches? Yes, absolutely. I think they were focused on winning two games instead of winning the first game in front of them. Miller, was not getting PT, so that happens. He is good but let’s not get overblown with his ability. 

I think I enjoy going back and forth with you and reading your opinions along with some admonitions because it is reminiscence of my ex-wife. In summary based upon reality, sadly we will suck until we dont any longer. We can hash it, bash it and prognosticate upon it. And of course we all know the association of opinions with a certain anatomical area we all share. No one guy is right so it's tough to tell others they are wrong. USF is way way overdo for something that resembles a quality football program. It's quite painful. 

Just now, BulledOver said:

I think I enjoy going back and forth with you and reading your opinions along with some admonitions because it is reminiscence of my ex-wife. In summary based upon reality, sadly we will suck until we dont any longer. We can hash it, bash it and prognosticate upon it. And of course we all know the association of opinions with a certain anatomical area we all share. No one guy is right so it's tough to tell others they are wrong. USF is way way overdo for something that resembles a quality football program. It's quite painful. 

Of course it’s painful (like your ex-wife), and we have to win to improve things. But the fact that there are people on this board, in offices, on campus, and in the program talking about the dissatisfaction shows that people do care. We will win again, and I suspect not as far as people think. I will say this, I do think this team shows up Friday and plays well. Not saying we are going to win but I don’t see a repeat performance. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,088
  • Days Won:  39

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I do think this team shows up Friday and plays well.

That would be nice after whatever this was.

6 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

That would be nice after whatever this was.

It sure would…

18 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Of course it’s painful (like your ex-wife), and we have to win to improve things. But the fact that there are people on this board, in offices, on campus, and in the program talking about the dissatisfaction shows that people do care. We will win again, and I suspect not as far as people think. I will say this, I do think this team shows up Friday and plays well. Not saying we are going to win but I don’t see a repeat performance. 

1) so you knew my ex-wife hey? I wondered about that. 2) this board has been set ablaze by many over the years 3) tough to be content when all you witness is: "mal" (I liked that one) 4) of course people care otherwise we would go elsewhere 5) "win again" we can only hope (actually that is all we have is "hope") 6) friday-gotta give you the 2 ? up on that one. Let's say this on that, friday will tell us a lot about the nature of this team-coaches. A team that allegedly has No seniors that want to leave (as advertised-well except one so far) because "they feel there is something special and we are about to bust out"...? Where were those fired up 5-6 year seniors saturday?    So, friday will say a lot about the state of USF football. 

17 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

1) so you knew my ex-wife hey? I wondered about that. 2) this board has been set ablaze by many over the years 3) tough to be content when all you witness is: "mal" (I liked that one) 4) of course people care otherwise we would go elsewhere 5) "win again" we can only hope (actually that is all we have is "hope") 6) friday-gotta give you the 2 ? up on that one. Let's say this on that, friday will tell us a lot about the nature of this team-coaches. A team that allegedly has No seniors that want to leave (as advertised-well except one so far) because "they feel there is something special and we are about to bust out"...? Where were those fired up 5-6 year seniors saturday?    So, friday will say a lot about the state of USF football. 

No, all I can say is that all ex-wives are the same 😀…mine included. Friday is a big game on my fronts. You make a good point, we will see who cares and who does not 

12 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No, all I can say is that all ex-wives are the same 😀…mine included. Friday is a big game on my fronts. You make a good point, we will see who cares and who does not 

Exactly Ollie...

stan and ollie.gif