• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Just now, Bulls1181 said:

USF > Rutgers

Actually any G5 > Rutgers

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Just now, Bulls1181 said:

USF > Rutgers

On the field, absolutely right now. If they go to the 64, and want the 64 programs with the most overall potential, USF and a few others should be included over some already there but, sadly, I doubt that's the way it would work.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

The B12 will either expand or disband. They've already played their hand regarding expansion.

Now, it's just the ticking clock until their current contracts run out.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

This is how I think expansion likely shakes out in the next 8-10 years:

1. The SEC and the Big Ten are the first to act:

• North Carolina to the SEC - this was close to happening in 2013 and creates a new and continuous geography that the SEC wants
  • Texas - with no schools in attractive geographies the SEC doubles down on the state of Texas and lands the biggest available fish
  • Kansas - with the Big 12 quickly dissolving the Big Ten lands another AAU school with an elite basketball tradition that borders member Nebraska
  • Virginia - the Big 10 lands another AAU schools continuing to bridge their geography to the east coast

2. The Pac-12 moves to pull in a  modified version of that nearly happened five years ago with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor. Baylor may be the outlier here but has the edge over the remaining California state schools where there would be significant pressure from the California state legislature for the Big 4 in California to support.

3. Left damaged, the ACC moves to add 4 to round out to 16 and 64 overall for the P5:

• West Virginia - long looked down on by the ACC they are the best of the remaining options
  • UConn - the ACC overlooks the football program, embraces the basketball programs and now has a Big Ten counter to Rutgers in the NYC market
  • Cincinnati - the ACC bridges the gap to louisbille by taking on another former Big East football school
  • Notre Dame - ACC forces Notre Dame into joining or goes with the best of what's left (USF, UCF)

2027.jpg

Agree with all of this except UCONN. They have little to no market reach and I think the ACC has seen this with BC and does not want to repeat the same mistake twice. Also, their men's basketball program could be in the way down. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

17 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

This is how I think expansion likely shakes out in the next 8-10 years:

1. The SEC and the Big Ten are the first to act:

• North Carolina to the SEC - this was close to happening in 2013 and creates a new and continuous geography that the SEC wants
  • Texas - with no schools in attractive geographies the SEC doubles down on the state of Texas and lands the biggest available fish
  • Kansas - with the Big 12 quickly dissolving the Big Ten lands another AAU school with an elite basketball tradition that borders member Nebraska
  • Virginia - the Big 10 lands another AAU schools continuing to bridge their geography to the east coast

2. The Pac-12 moves to pull in a  modified version of what nearly happened five years ago with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor. Baylor may be the outlier here but has the edge over the remaining California state schools where there would be significant pressure from the California state legislature for the Big 4 in California to support.

3. Left damaged, the ACC moves to add 4 to round out to 16 and 64 overall for the P5:

• West Virginia - long looked down on by the ACC they are the best of the remaining options
  • UConn - the ACC overlooks the football program, embraces the basketball programs and now has a Big Ten counter to Rutgers in the NYC market
  • Cincinnati - the ACC bridges the gap to Louisville by taking on another former Big East football school
  • Notre Dame - ACC forces Notre Dame into joining or goes with the best of what's left (USF, UCF)

2027.jpg

If we can get AAU accreditation before the next round I'm still hopeful we can get into the B1G.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

No on Notre Dame unless they cannot get a good deal on their own for TV rights.

Edited by Rizman

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

13 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

If we can get AAU accreditation before the next round I'm still hopeful we can get into the B1G.

Right now, we are about as close to Big 10 membership as we are AAU.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

I think that in 10 years the entire TV concept will have changed enough that ESPN won't be in control. I'm not sure how to garner the advertising dollars that drive the market today, but I do think it will be dramatically different.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

I think that in 10 years the entire TV concept will have changed enough that ESPN won't be in control. I'm not sure how to garner the advertising dollars that drive the market today, but I do think it will be dramatically different.

Agree. Maybe the conference-based TV deals will disappear in favor of school-specific deals?

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

The split if there is one will be at a minimum of 80 teams. This will allow for a reasonable variety of schools and enough teams to truly cover all time zones and major markets. This is all about the Dollar Bill Yo!

As for the Big 12 they are stuck. Oklahoma is stuck because the want out but, they are tied at the hips to Oklahoma State and no one want's both. Texas can go anywhere they want but, they would lose their sweetheart deal with ESPN and have to settle for not being in control. They just can't kneel down for anyone (and that is how they see it). The rest of the conference including Kansas would be in a stand-bye waiting for room status. So the Big 12 continues to limp through the motions. If the Big 12 survives, it will be more of a Central/Mountain time zone conference.

The real changes will be the borders between the B1G and the SEC. With the ACC finally getting a network deal (Of sorts), and their play on the field improving, their position has improved dramatically. The SEC may have to consider to expand with non P5 teams unless they are looking to double down on Oklahoma and Oklahoma State (which they aren't). So perhaps they move into near by large markets. Say Dallas-Fort Worth and Tampa, who knows but if they do drop Vanderbilt and Missouri, that gives them two more slots in which they could move into North Carolina and Virginia. Charlotte and Norfolk are nice metros, just saying. :icon_drink:

I've heard there was much complaining about the eastern push by the western B1G members so, I'm thinking they will look to shore up the central portion of the conference with their final 2 schools. Possibly Vanderbilt and Missouri (Yes I now that's wild speculation). :angrymob:

The ACC may look to consolidate their connection with Notre Dame. Any expansion they have will more then likely include Cincinnati with either Navy or UConn.

the PAC is in a terrible spot and can only move in one direction, east. They need to move into Texas. That's the only move that makes sense for them.

I truly believe that USF's best chance at a Power Conference is with the SEC. So we need to win big for a couple years, increase our fan base and donor base as well as our National Perception. Not impossible but, difficult to say the least.

Edited by Azmodi