• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OT: Check your blood pressure

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,269
  • Days Won:  255

Glad to hear you are at least mostly okay, I have a family history of strokes so at least I have that going for me.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,660
  • Days Won:  424

23 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

I'm writing this after just being discharged from the hospital due to a stroke that occurred Tuesday morning.  It was a minor one, and I am very lucky.   The main reason that I wanted to write this private matter is that I consider the Bulls nation a family and I don't want to see this happen to any of you, if possible.

The cause of my stroke, after extensive tests (CTs, MRIs, poking and prodding), was high blood pressure.  This is something I had been treated for but my monitoring of it with a home b.p. machine had become very lax.  I'm not a smoker, ran 2 miles the evening before, and am in otherwise good health. So, don't get lulled into the feeling that you shouldn't check these things because you consider yourself healthy and invincible.

If you smoke, stop.  If you're diabetic, make sure you are on meds to control it.  Watch what you eat...avoid processed foods and substitute chicken and fish for red meat, which you can have in moderation.

If you have a family history of heart disease or hypertension, get a home B.P. monitor to check it or have your B.P. taken at one of those machines at the pharmacy.  If it is high, see your physician.  This can be easily controlled with inexpensive medication.

Stay healthy, Bulls Nation.  I want to see all of you in the new stadium!

Between you and Cuz, you're scaring the **** out of me ....... although I am on BP medicine, I still don't check it as often as I should.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

Hey Ricky, glad you are released and well.  I am sad to hear about that hospitalization.  Scary stuff.

I had an issue a year and a half ago, bought a BP monitor but haven't turned it on in months.  I will take your advice.

Thank you and take care!

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

43 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

I'm writing this after just being discharged from the hospital due to a stroke that occurred Tuesday morning.  It was a minor one, and I am very lucky.   The main reason that I wanted to write this private matter is that I consider the Bulls nation a family and I don't want to see this happen to any of you, if possible.

The cause of my stroke, after extensive tests (CTs, MRIs, poking and prodding), was high blood pressure.  This is something I had been treated for but my monitoring of it with a home b.p. machine had become very lax.  I'm not a smoker, ran 2 miles the evening before, and am in otherwise good health. So, don't get lulled into the feeling that you shouldn't check these things because you consider yourself healthy and invincible.

If you smoke, stop.  If you're diabetic, make sure you are on meds to control it.  Watch what you eat...avoid processed foods and substitute chicken and fish for red meat, which you can have in moderation.

If you have a family history of heart disease or hypertension, get a home B.P. monitor to check it or have your B.P. taken at one of those machines at the pharmacy.  If it is high, see your physician.  This can be easily controlled with inexpensive medication.

Stay healthy, Bulls Nation.  I want to see all of you in the new stadium!

Glad you are OK. My late father had the same issues, scared me straight. At 62, I do a lot of exercise to help all the factors that keep me at a lovely 13/75 on average. Great message, Hope this is the one and ONLY!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Dang Ricky! Very glad you are okay ... thank you for sharing and warning !

I'm 55, had heart attack in 2012 and diagnosed with diabetes in 2013. I have a BP monitor in my desk at work and at home. Carry my blood sugar monitor always and have a spare at home I use on weekends. Eat better, stopped drinking and exercise more. I have a wife and a soon to be 15 year old daughter as a constant reminder to stay healthy.

We are a family and So Dang Glad you are okay Ricky! 

🙏

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Great message and I am glad you are you are recovering well. I will also add that everyone should really watch their salt intake. It is such a component of heart disease. I have been on a low sodium diet for two years now and my blood pressure dropped significantly. We live in a society that has high amounts salt on everything, you eat it and don’t even know it. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Try to stay away from processed foods . . . look at those sodium counts! I'm a Flexitarian now . . . mostly :) 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Glad to hear that was not nearly as bad as it could have been.  Take care of yourself, dude.

Am diabetic myself, and I am down one kidney already due to cancer.  I keep my blood sugar well under control but could do better.  I will endeavor to try.

• Upvote 1