• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN: Your comprehensive guide to the 2021 college basketball coaching hot seat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I’m well aware they are just obvious answers to the question (besides pretty close to everyone) of who could have done better. CJS had a disastrous first year which if not made obvious by his record should be made obvious by impartial rankings that have him pretty close to the worst first year of every other coach hired that same year. This isn’t because the world is out to get him or that he faced more obstacles than anyone else it is simply because he himself failed and as we aren’t really in a position to have years of failing while he figured out how to be a head coach he was a bad hire. 

I am not ready to say he was a bad hire yet, but the rest of your take is spot on.  I am only hoping he can bring in enough talent and learn on the job and not be like his dad who was garbage, we shall see. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I am not ready to say he was a bad hire yet, but the rest of your take is spot on.  I am only hoping he can bring in enough talent and learn on the job and not be like his dad who was garbage, we shall see. 

I’m not saying that he can never be a good coach, he seems to have most of the necessary components and in a few years he may learn enough to move on which if he had been hired after CWT or CJL would have been peachy keen. That he followed CCS and the downward spiral that we were on and then told CCS to hold his beer why he managed to find rock bottom for our program is why he was a bad hire for the time. We needed someone that could do better than CCS not a person that has to find his way as he managed to be 1/4 as successful as with the hope that one day maybe he can meet expectations.

Guest Jonesy Bull
46 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I’m well aware they are just obvious answers to the question (besides pretty close to everyone) of who could have done better. CJS had a disastrous first year which if not made obvious by his record should be made obvious by impartial rankings that have him pretty close to the worst first year of every other coach hired that same year. This isn’t because the world is out to get him or that he faced more obstacles than anyone else it is simply because he himself failed and as we aren’t really in a position to have years of failing while he figured out how to be a head coach he was a bad hire. 

Because you can't see what is obvious in front of you is your problem period!

If next year is the same then I will be completely on your side.  But your take after one Covid/Evaluation year is completely unfair and unfounded!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

19 minutes ago, puc86 said:

We needed someone that could do better than CCS

And right now we have no real idea if we have that someone or not ..... but you know this.

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Because you can't see what is obvious in front of you is your problem period!

If next year is the same then I will be completely on your side.  But your take after one Covid/Evaluation year is completely unfair and unfounded!

So riddle me this, if it was impossible to have a successful year in your first year as the head coach in a Covid year how did 20 coaches manage to do better than CJS? CCS set the bar low and should have won more games than he did if not for his coaching and yet CJS wasn’t able to even get within a reasonable distance of that low bar. If Jeff Traylor could take UTSA from 4-8 to 7-5 in his first year what specifically was uniquely more difficult for CJS? Besides of course the results and the coaches. Somehow amazingly Alabama and Clemson ended up in the title game just as was expected at the start of the year, I think too much credit is given to Covid by those that failed then seems to have actually played a measurable difference in what would have happened on the field sans it. Excuses are everywhere you want to find them, strangely winners don’t waste a lot of time looking for them.

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

And right now we have no real idea if we have that someone or not ..... but you know this.

I don’t mean in three years I mean immediately and I most certainly know the answer to that question.

Guest Jonesy Bull
22 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So riddle me this, if it was impossible to have a successful year in your first year as the head coach in a Covid year how did 20 coaches manage to do better than CJS? CCS set the bar low and should have won more games than he did if not for his coaching and yet CJS wasn’t able to even get within a reasonable distance of that low bar. If Jeff Traylor could take UTSA from 4-8 to 7-5 in his first year what specifically was uniquely more difficult for CJS? Besides of course the results and the coaches. Somehow amazingly Alabama and Clemson ended up in the title game just as was expected at the start of the year, I think too much credit is given to Covid by those that failed then seems to have actually played a measurable difference in what would have happened on the field sans it. Excuses are everywhere you want to find them, strangely winners don’t waste a lot of time looking for them.

I don’t mean in three years I mean immediately and I most certainly know the answer to that question.

Are you really seriously asking this question, or did you get dropped on your head as a child.

You are comparing such a different situation than we are in.  Are you that dense to not know that.   We were left with NOTHING, and we got a COACH that had hardly NOTHING to go with in this first year.  

Did you actually get a degree from USF or the University of Sears and Roebuck??

Edited by Jonesy Bull

4 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Are you really seriously asking this question, or did you get dropped on your head as a child.

You are comparing such a different situation than we are in.  Are you that dense to not know that.   We were left with NOTHING, and we got a COACH that had hardly NOTHING to go with in this first year.  

Did you actually get a degree from USF or the University of Sears and Roebuck??

You can say it as much as you like but it’s simply not true. A good portion of the starters returned including the starting QB which is not the same as CWT having 10 of the 22 starters return for him. Every single year every single coach loses players in college football and CJS’ was not exceptionally dire, we only pretend that around here because it’s more polite than the truth that he failed miserably.

24 minutes ago, puc86 said:

We didn't need someone to immediately do better than CCS. We need someone to do a better job of building a program than Charlie did. This is perhaps one of your dumbest crusades to date .....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Triple B said:

We didn't need someone to immediately do better than CCS. We need someone to do a better job of building a program than Charlie. This is perhaps one of your dumbest crusades to date .....

A team that’s hemorrhaging fans and had the likes of silver bull and cousinricky questioning their commitment needs to win a lot sooner than you think they do. Some programs can survive 6 years of failure but I would rather not have to find out if we are one of them.

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

A team that’s hemorrhaging fans and had the likes of silver bull and cousinricky questioning their commitment needs to win a lot sooner than you think they do. Some programs can survive 6 years of failure but I would rather not have to find out if we are one of them

Considering we've got 4 years to go before hitting that mark, you're being your usual melodramatic self .....