• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN: Your comprehensive guide to the 2021 college basketball coaching hot seat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,252
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I don't think anybody would be very happy with only .500 after Year 3.  I would be disappointed in that scenario as well.  That's why I'm questioning the CBG and Basketball situation.  We should be better than this by now.

By Year 3 in Football I'm looking for us to be a winning team with a continued upward trajectory.  I just think you are being a little impatient with CJS after just one Covid / Evaluation year, where he admitted before the season started that the wins vs losses were probably not going to be very good.  That tells me he at least has an eye on what type of talent and team we had at the time.  He seems to be trying to do something about that......This season does need to show quite a bit of improvement, I agree.  That in my mind means 4-5 wins.

I think that’s fair enough as long as we are considerably better in year three. There were much bigger expectations of CJS than 1 win going into last season and the never ending excuses as to why we shouldn’t be able to beat a single FBS team only presented themselves because he didn’t meet the barest of expectations. That people think you need every single person on your team to be someone you recruited before you can be expected to do marginally better than the person that got fired for performance is patently absurd. Improvement should be directionally correct and incremental or else it is simply hopes and dreams.

21 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

But then the line would be headed in the right direction. Let's label that line 'O' for Optimism.

I am just patiently waiting for the better but I’m not patient enough for that better to be longer than a college career.

23 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Cool list, does not illustrate the point  as I said it affected everyone differently. You can't tell me having 7 of your 11 defensive starters unavailable is the same as having a few practice squad players out. Not really talking specifics but that's the spectrum. You also can't tell me that having 98th toughest schedule doesn't account for a few wins either. 

In any case its covid effected everyone differently, due to differing case numbers, due to differing state protocols, due to differing university protocols. It was just different. 

This is also a line form your article 

"Scott was a good hire for USF, but it’s going to take time to rebuild in Tampa."

It is my belief that we only feel more impacted because we follow our team more closely, if we actually were impacted than every other team (we weren’t) then we are responsible for that and we should have clearly done things to be more in line with every other team.

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think that’s fair enough as long as we are considerably better in year three. There were much bigger expectations of CJS than 1 win going into last season and the never ending excuses as to why we shouldn’t be able to beat a single FBS team only presented themselves because he didn’t meet the barest of expectations. That people think you need every single person on your team to be someone you recruited before you can be expected to do marginally better than the person that got fired for performance is patently absurd. Improvement should be directionally correct and incremental or else it is simply hopes and dreams.

I think what you are saying is mostly fair.  I think we have to as close to an agreement as we are capable of at this time.....YAY!

3 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I think what you are saying is mostly fair.  I think we have to as close to an agreement as we are capable of at this time.....YAY!

The thing you miss is that what is fair is to have expectations immediately and when people do not meet them it is often because of factors they actually control and not a laundry list of excuses that disappear when you actually have some form of success. CJS was expected to do better or marginally close to CCS in year 1 but he didn’t even come close to hitting that mark, if he does better we don’t have to worry about arguing about nuances because it will actually be tangible.

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The thing you miss is that what is fair is to have expectations immediately and when people do not meet them it is often because of factors they actually control and not a laundry list of excuses that disappear when you actually have some form of success. CJS was expected to do better or marginally close to CCS in year 1 but he didn’t even come close to hitting that mark, if he does better we don’t have to worry about arguing about nuances because it will actually be tangible.

I understand what your saying, and I agree I think we all expected better than 1 FBS win, thats pitiful.

But nobody could have forseen the circumstances of Covid and lack of preparation, practice, evaluation, all the things that normal years we would have had.  Plus maybe just maybe the talent level had degraded so far even from the previous CCS year.  

I know these all sound like excuses and to a degree they are I suppose.  But because of all of that, I'm willing to throw last year out the window, and look at this year as our first true year.  And yes, we need to see real improvement otherwise, No Bueno!

Just now, Jonesy Bull said:

I understand what your saying, and I agree I think we all expected better than 1 FBS win, thats pitiful.

But nobody could have forseen the circumstances of Covid and lack of preparation, practice, evaluation, all the things that normal years we would have had.  Plus maybe just maybe the talent level had degraded so far even from the previous CCS year.  

I know these all sound like excuses and to a degree they are I suppose.  But because of all of that, I'm willing to throw last year out the window, and look at this year as our first true year.  And yes, we need to see real improvement otherwise, No Bueno!

Other people were able to overcome all of those things, CJS didn't. That they were able to and he wasn’t is because he failed and had he actually succeeded not a single person would have dismissed the success as being only because of the extenuating circumstances. The fair thing to do is to hold him accountable for his failings, which he acknowledges and is planning on improving going forward.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

28 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It is my belief that we only feel more impacted because we follow our team more closely, if we actually were impacted than every other team (we weren’t) then we are responsible for that and we should have clearly done things to be more in line with every other team.

How do you know this? 

we are responsible for catching or being close to someone who caught an airborne virus (who may or may not even know they have it) and having to abide by our state, county, conference and school protocols...got it

Not necessarily saying we had it worse than others but we don't know how it impacted others and we don't really know how much it impacted us. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

How do you know this? 

we are responsible for catching or being close to someone who caught an airborne virus (who may or may not even know they have it) and having to abide by our state, county, conference and school protocols...got it

Because there were programs that got entirely shut down for weeks at a time and the news was filled with it and high profile players being sidelined. Trevor Lawerence is perhaps the most impactful player in college football, Clemson lost him and still managed to make the championship game. No one got to have a preseason and everyone had players in Covid protocol throughout the season, what makes you think that we faced it worse than the rest of the country?

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Because there were programs that got entirely shut down for weeks at a time and the news was filled with it and high profile players being sidelined. Trevor Lawerence is perhaps the most impactful player in college football, Clemson lost him and still managed to make the championship game. No one got to have a preseason and everyone had players in Covid protocol throughout the season, what makes you think that we faced it worse than the rest of the country?

So in your example about how it impacted everyone equally, you cite one team who was shut down completely and one team who lost one player on offense for one game? 

Edited by BrassBulls12