• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong is a great Coach.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So we should try running the program without a head coach?

no our next hire shouldn't include a guarantee of $2.5M per year

not sure how much it would have cost us to fire Taggart after year 3 but I'm guessing it was no where near as much as Strong's .

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, Bull94 said:

not sure how much it would have cost us to fire Taggart after year 3 but I'm guessing it was no where near as much as Strong's .

It is kind of a joke but also kind of not because we are described as being so broke it does not sound like we can afford a dollar. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, Bull94 said:

To be fair, despite his failure at Texas (which should have been a little bit of a red flag), most people were very excited with the Strong hiring at the time (not everybody of course).  Most people didn't care how much it cost for a buy out.  The only thing people cared about is we were getting an HC with name recognition that had some success at Louisville and Florida. 

But, to your point, we weren't very smart about how the contract was written (well our AD wasn't).

Hindsight is 20/20.

44 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

To be fair, despite his failure at Texas (which should have been a little bit of a red flag), most people were very excited with the Strong hiring at the time (not everybody of course).  Most people didn't care how much it cost for a buy out.  The only thing people cared about is we were getting an HC with name recognition that had some success at Louisville and Florida. 

But, to your point, we weren't very smart about how the contract was written (well our AD wasn't).

Hindsight is 20/20.

His time at Texas was more than a "little" bit of a red flag. the guy never had a winning season there and lost to Kansas for the first time since 1938 in his 3rd year.

anybody at our level who goes into the hiring process thinking it is a certainty needs to have their heads examined.

Hindsight as far as success or failure is concerned is one thing. Nobody knows for certain.

That's why you make sure there is a financially viable out. That doesn't need hindsight

You don't ever hire someone you can't afford to fire.

Edited by Bull94

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

His time at Texas was more than a "little" bit of a red flag. the guy never had a winning season there and lost to Kansas for the first time since 1938 in his 3rd year.

anybody at our level who goes into the hiring process thinking it is a certainty needs to have their heads examined.

Hindsight as far as success or failure is concerned is one thing. Nobody knows for certain.

That's why you make sure there is a financially viable out. That doesn't need hindsight

I don't disagree with you, I 'm just saying what most of the people at the time here at USF were thinking.  The Texas thing was definitely a red flag for me, but I was hoping it was a situation of being at the wrong place at the wrong time - it happens.

I was kind of excited about bringing in a Coach like Strong who had name recognition and success at Louisville, etc.

The Texas thing did scare me though, and the AD obviously made a bit mistake with the contract.  Maybe it was the only way that Strong would agree to come here.

Nobody knew for sure whether he would be successful or a failure here, neither did you if you are really honest with yourself. 

So I stick to my point - hindsight is 20/20.

47 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I don't disagree with you, I 'm just saying what most of the people at the time here at USF were thinking.  The Texas thing was definitely a red flag for me, but I was hoping it was a situation of being at the wrong place at the wrong time - it happens.

I was kind of excited about bringing in a Coach like Strong who had name recognition and success at Louisville, etc.

The Texas thing did scare me though, and the AD obviously made a bit mistake with the contract.  Maybe it was the only way that Strong would agree to come here.

Nobody knew for sure whether he would be successful or a failure here, neither did you if you are really honest with yourself. 

So I stick to my point - hindsight is 20/20.

like I said hindsight in whether or not he would be successful is accurate.

the fact that there is any risk at all though means you should not hire someone you can't afford to fire. there was a very real possibility we would have to fire him. even if they thought it was very unlikely, they still shouldn't put us in the possible position of not being able to afford to fire him.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,555
  • Days Won:  28

On 11/17/2019 at 8:03 AM, lotsofbull99 said:

I think Charlie Strong is a great coach. While he’s not CJL, he’s the best Coach we have right now. This team has it’s deficiencies and it’s struggles, but I’ve been impressed that even late in the season they haven’t quit on the Coaches or USF. I really hope CCS is leading the team next year.

I remember when Taggart was hired and everybody hated him. I defended that man and people thought I was crazy and he turned the team around. Me being a Florida Gator, I was always a CCS fan and thought he should have been the coach for UF and still think they should have given him a chance. I like the recruits from his classes and really love the recruits in this current class. I think he hit a home run in the transfer portal this year and should be able to pull some more good transfers. We have the defense, we just need the offense to catch up. That being said, I dont want to start over. B/c we will either get a retread or an upstart who will get poached away once we have success. I feel with CCS and KB and Shaun King, we have a staff that is here for the long run. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
35 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

like I said hindsight in whether or not he would be successful is accurate.

the fact that there is any risk at all though means you should not hire someone you can't afford to fire. there was a very real possibility we would have to fire him. even if they thought it was very unlikely, they still shouldn't put us in the possible position of not being able to afford to fire him.

The Contract thing was definitely a mistake considering our cash strapped situation - no doubt.

The Administration was banking on Strong turning us into a winning program regardless of the financial ramifications.  Obviously that has backfired on us.....but sometimes in life you have to take Risks.  Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

The Contract thing was definitely a mistake considering our cash strapped situation - no doubt.

The Administration was banking on Strong turning us into a winning program regardless of the financial ramifications.  Obviously that has backfired on us.....but sometimes in life you have to take Risks.  Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

calculated risks

they thought they had a sure thing and paid like they did

16th highest paid head coach this year

ridiculous

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,529
  • Days Won:  25

He is a great coach if like losing streaks, declining attendance, lackluster game management, declining recruiting classes, terrible special teams, and low scoring offense. I hear our opponents love him.