• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well we won’t have this guy to kick anymore

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Best part I will miss is that he sure did write a lot about USF. Not all were good articles but at least he cared.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

3 hours ago, Friscobull said:

The paper is outdated as soon as you receive it

Hell, it's usually outdated hours before you receive it ...... but I really couldn't care less. I don't need up to the minute news on most things and the whole "get it first, not necessarily right" ******** has totally ****** up information dissemination in these times. Hopefully they'll keep printing as long as I grace this planet.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

Hell, it's usually outdated hours before you receive it ...... but I really couldn't care less. I don't need up to the minute news on most things and the whole "get it first, not necessarily right" ******** has totally ****** up information dissemination in these times. Hopefully they'll keep printing as long as I grace this planet.

Got to fill the 24 hour “news” cycle.  Haven’t watched local news yet this morning but I’m a prophet.

A fire in Port Richmond.

Two youths shot and killed in Olney

A car jacking in Ridley Park.

Now the weather.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

Real newspapers were an invaluable asset to their communities.  Having been a journalist when there were five general circulation daily newspapers and many community newspapers serving the Tampa Bay area it is sad to see that newspapers have already long been dead, particularly as a source of meaningful news of local concern.  It shows in the current political and social landscape not only of this area but the nation at large.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

27 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

Real newspapers were an invaluable asset to their communities.  Having been a journalist when there were five general circulation daily newspapers and many community newspapers serving the Tampa Bay area it is sad to see that newspapers have already long been dead, particularly as a source of meaningful news of local concern.  It shows in the current political and social landscape not only of this area but the nation at large.  

There are precious few news outlets that I will even go to.  Almost all newschannels are either pro-trump or anti-trump and provide no other news.  The printed paper goes much further into detail on stories so that one can actually make up their own minds instead of lockstepping to either Morning Joe or Sean Hannity.  I still get the Sunday paper and primarily watch PBS Newshour.  A weak press (or an ineffective press) will weaken our democracy.  It already has.  I used to really enjoy the Evening Independent.  It was nice to have a fresh paper when I got home from work.

But I was born back in the 1900's, so there's that.

Edited by Grateful Dad
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

If it makes some of you older guys feel any better, I saw a Tweet today where a Gen Z kid was confused as to how people used to burn CDs. Got me feeling real old.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

I’m sure we will still be able to go down to the local bar and kick him for a shot if we ever miss it.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

18 hours ago, usf97 said:

LOL It doesn't seem that long ago but it was a very different time. 

The Tribune/Times war was probably near its peak right then. The St. Pete Times was very much trying to increase its circulation in Hillsborough County. The internet first became sort of "mainstream" in 1996 but was very slow and you got disconnected all the time so most couldn't imagine getting most of their news and info from it. 

It reminds me of how different the 50's & 60's sounded to me as a child hearing my parents talk about it. Its the same way now comparing pre-internet and pre-smart phone eras to today. 

Of course just messing with you the 90's seem long gone as we now live in this quick change society/ news cycle. St. Pete Times?? personally I thought they were a tabloid, rag, fish wrapper. I use to put their paper in our parrots cage but he wouldn't **** on it... They were kinda a front runner to what we see today with all the fake news out there. Just throw anything out there to sway opinion if you get caught in a lie it's..oh sorry. of course this is my opinion but based upon first hand experiences. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

13 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I worked in the sports department at the SP Times 1994-96. Also worked - briefly - with Fennelly at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune before he went to the Tampa Tribune. He could be brilliant one day and awful the next. He was always a very inconsistent writer. That said, he wrote one of the most entertaining columns I’ve ever read when I was in Sarasota. He covered a visit by the Harlem Globetrotters and wrote a column in the style of a game story. It was hilarious and was a take I’d never seen before - brilliant idea and execution. Best of luck, Martin.

It's interesting to read some of the comments from you guys. It opens up the "way back" memory machine. Sarasota boy huh? As was I. You made a connection for me since you mention Fennelly was at the Sar Her trib. I thought he was way back. I remember that some of the area coaches had no use for him nor good things to say. Interesting. I saw that neg style reading a lot of his articles the past few years. Like everyone, seeing someone lose their job makes you feel for them but, there are so many sports comment positions out there he will prob catch a break. You at SPT mid 90's I was just about out of SRQ area full time by then but,,,a great place to grow up. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

15 hours ago, LexiBull said:

It’s time for all newspapers to go digital

Meanwhile, digital has degenerated to clickbait even at the most highly regarded newspapers, so maybe news as a legitimate for-profit business is dead.