• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top 10 Worst College Hoops Hires

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,726
  • Days Won:  0

I was sort of excited when Orlando was first hired. Boy was I wrong. Watching Coach Gregory's first two years vs Coach Antigua's time at USF really is a perfect case study on how important it is to hire the right college head coach. So happy we landed Gregory.

https://watchstadium.com/news/the-10-worst-college-basketball-coaching-hires-this-decade-03-07-2019/amp/

T10. Orlando Antigua, USF – Mark Harlan, who is now the AD at Utah, hired the former Kentucky and Pittsburgh assistant to replace Stan Heath. The Antigua tenure lasted a little more than two years due to poor on-court performance and also NCAA violations from his brother – who was on his staff.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801

8 hours ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

I was sort of excited when Orlando was first hired. Boy was I wrong. Watching Coach Gregory's first two years vs Coach Antigua's time at USF really is a perfect case study on how important it is to hire the right college head coach. So happy we landed Gregory.

https://watchstadium.com/news/the-10-worst-college-basketball-coaching-hires-this-decade-03-07-2019/amp/

T10. Orlando Antigua, USF – Mark Harlan, who is now the AD at Utah, hired the former Kentucky and Pittsburgh assistant to replace Stan Heath. The Antigua tenure lasted a little more than two years due to poor on-court performance and also NCAA violations from his brother – who was on his staff.

To Harlan’s defense of on paper Antigua looked good. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,454
  • Days Won:  13

23 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

To Harlan’s defense of on paper Antigua looked good. 

There were a few of us who hated the hire from day 1. I was not the least bit surprised with the Antigua disaster.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016

I didn't think Antigua would be successful but I also didn't think he would be that bad either.  I thought that he would improve the talent at USF but that was about it. Turns out he didn't even do that. Another nail in the coffin of the Calipari coaching tree. I don;t the answer but has any Calipari assistant coach been successful as a head coach? I can't think of any.

Just now, Buller64 said:

I didn't think Antigua would be successful but I also didn't think he would be that bad either.  I thought that he would improve the talent at USF but that was about it. Turns out he didn't even do that. Another nail in the coffin of the Calipari coaching tree. I don't the answer but has any Calipari assistant coach been successful as a head coach? I can't think of any.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

The only coach that had some success was Josh Pastner. All the other coaches under antigua were either a complete disaster or just barely above .500

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

21 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Tom Izzo Coaching Tree > John Calipari Coaching Tree

This....stay away anything that is Calipari...dude is a used car salesmen. Still wish John Cheney would have decked his ass back in 1994. As for Antigua, I’ll never forget how the Kentucky fans were telling how lucky our little program was to have him as coach. They disappeared pretty quickly. I was also not a big Greenberg fan. Lots of promise but no delivery. My favorite coach will always be Bobby Pascal. He gets overlooked. Two NCAA tournament bids (one as an at large) and brought in a strong group of players who did things never done before. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

The Antigua hire was the fruit of a circus of a search with  a scramble after the Masiello fake degree. I hope the search firm gave us a full refund.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

35 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This....stay away anything that is Calipari...dude is a used car salesmen. Still wish John Cheney would have decked his ass back in 1994. As for Antigua, I’ll never forget how the Kentucky fans were telling how lucky our little program was to have him as coach. They disappeared pretty quickly. I was also not a big Greenberg fan. Lots of promise but no delivery. My favorite coach will always be Bobby Pascal. He gets overlooked. Two NCAA tournament bids (one as an at large) and brought in a strong group of players who did things never done before. 

Thankfully, Coach Paschal was given the time to build the program and things turned out very well because of the patience that was afforded. I'm not sure that same thing would have been allowed to happen in this day and age. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Only 10?