• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hot Take: Dan Orlovsky on our Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

That’s not a hot take...that is spot on. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

It was the same last season but Flowers would just go off script

Edited by ambienknights
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

23 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Wow, spot on.  Thanks for transcribing this for us.  You'd think Gilbert has made some contacts over the years that he could call up and say look at this game tape, what am I doing wrong.  I'm not a coach, I don't understand all the inter-workings, but at my job, if I don't know the answer, I find someone with experience and ask them.  

generally coaches will travel to other programs to study what they do right and try to implement wrinkles in their offense. This guy didn't even bother to watch the tape of our previous offense that was top 5 in the country. he runs the same crap over and over and if it doesn't work he blames it on execution.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have watched several games that Orlovsky has broadcast. I have found him to be pretty insightful. 

I agree with a lot of comments here. He is spot on with most of what he said. I especially love his comment about being stuck in 8 years ago. 

Many of us said that Gilbert’s philosophy is either run the go routes outside the numbers or run between the tackles. For any decent DC it is very easy to game plan against. Especially when you know Gilbert refuses to adjust to anything thrown at him. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,498
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Bull94 said:

generally coaches will travel to other programs to study what they do right and try to implement wrinkles in their offense. This guy didn't even bother to watch the tape of our previous offense that was top 5 in the country. he runs the same crap over and over and if it doesn't work he blames it on execution.

Yeah, that seems to be the board consensus on here.  I was just thinking out loud.  Just beating my head against the wall.  It seems almost as simple as plug and play.  On a sheet of paper, you list all your offensive players strengths / weaknesses and pick offensive schemes that fit the talent.  A lot of it is execution, but part of coaching is picking plays that can be executed correctly.  If we don't have a talented offensive line, don't run a bunch up the middle and don't call 20 yard pass plays when the qb doesn't have time to throw.  Sorry, didn't mean to add to the "Gilbert is incompetent" talk.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Yeah, that seems to be the board consensus on here.  I was just thinking out loud.  Just beating my head against the wall.  It seems almost as simple as plug and play.  On a sheet of paper, you list all your offensive players strengths / weaknesses and pick offensive schemes that fit the talent.  A lot of it is execution, but part of coaching is picking plays that can be executed correctly.  If we don't have a talented offensive line, don't run a bunch up the middle and don't call 20 yard pass plays when the qb doesn't have time to throw.  Sorry, didn't mean to add to the "Gilbert is incompetent" talk.

exactly. you can call QB draws all game long for tom brady and then blame him for not executing.

if we are having problems pass protecting then call screens and slants. if we are having trouble run blocking then go outside the tackles especially with the speed we have on offense.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

Gilbert is using an offense that was great 10 years ago but refuses to adjust to the times. Last year the only reason the offense worked was because flowers called his own plays after he got fed up with Gilbert and strong. This year Barnett, kean, or Chris stick to the script with Gilbert which didn’t happen last year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Looks like Dan reads my newsletter..... 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  66
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Bull94 said:

How has Gilbert and CCS not come to this conclusion and at least attempted different ways to resolve the issues. No frickin flexibility or ingenuity.

Gilbert must go, this year. Not even debatable. And Preferably before bowl practices start.

If CCS wont do cut him, then CCS should be sent packing too.

If you cant adapt, you go the way of the dinosaurs.