• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Petrino is out ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

10 minutes ago, crambone said:

As long as he takes Gilbert, bye Felicia. 

My thoughts as well

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Maryland may be a better landing spot for Strong.  May not be much interest in that dumpster fire 

I think Geoff Collins gets the Maryland job.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

This is probably an over-simplification but it seems most of Charlie Strong's success in coaching has been due to Clint Hurtt's (UofM former Bagman) recruitment of Teddy Bridgewater. 

The former "2011 Recruiter of the Year", Hurtt was penalized by the NCAA due to his work at Miami and he jetted to the NFL. 

Here is a quote from an ESPN 2011 article "Bridgewater will be an obvious key for Louisville this season and in the future. The quarterback is a high school icon in Miami, and landing him likely will open up many more doors for Hurtt, Strong and Louisville for years to come."

It seem so. With all the cheating that Louisville did under former AD Jurich, you have to wonder how much Bridgewater was paid to switch his commitment from Miami to Louisville. 

Doesn't seem like Strong has really ever recovered from losing his best recruiter. I think this is obvious to the rest of the NCAA Coaches and AD's so I doubt most are going to be interested in touching Strong. 

• Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,306
  • Days Won:  10

It does start with recruiting.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't see UL firing a coach they brought back to just hire another coach on his second go-round with them.  Especially because they are trying to distance themselves from all of the NCAA shenanigans that happened there in the past.  They will be looking for a fresh start literally and figuratively which means CCS isn't on their radar.   I'd be worried about UNC, GaTech, Vandy, or Maryland if/when those open.  

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I don't see UL firing a coach they brought back to just hire another coach on his second go-round with them.  Especially because they are trying to distance themselves from all of the NCAA shenanigans that happened there in the past.  They will be looking for a fresh start literally and figuratively which means CCS isn't on their radar.   I'd be worried about UNC, GaTech, Vandy, or Maryland if/when those open.  

Yeah, i dont see UL bringing in a second in a row repeat HC.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 hours ago, South Tampa said:

The last thing any Bull fan should want is a retread coach.  We need to find that young OC type that is looking for their first head coaching job.  The problem is we need one that does not have ties to a big university that would call him home.

Agree. But he needs to be from a big time program if possible. Regardless, if we are successful, he will be gone...not much we can do about that. Even a USF alum will take the cash over staying. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

Fire Gilbert and bring Petrino in for OC. USF could be the next 'bama: hiring discarded HC's for assistant coaches. I mean hell, he'd leave after one season to return to WKU, but it would be one hell of a magical season.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 minutes ago, CoolRod97 said:

Fire Gilbert and bring Petrino in for OC. USF could be the next 'bama: hiring discarded HC's for assistant coaches. I mean hell, he'd leave after one season to return to WKU, but it would be one hell of a magical season.  

That's a bit pie in the sky.  Zero chance Petrino's ego would ever let that happen.  

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Strong will get mentioned for UL ad nauseum, but won't get rehired there.

Gossip incoming: UL twitter says UL won't hire Strong whom supposedly had an affair with a booster's wife (insert bad taste in the mouth pun here).

Apparently, Petrino didn't sit well in WKU either so don't expect him to go back.

This whole "coaches going back to old jobs" thing is tired. Other than Bill Snyder, it doesn't seem to work for others (Edsall, Petrino).

My take:

Strong will get looks, and he'll stick to the UL rumors because the media just assumes he "did well there" and "UL > USF (it is)". He'll come up for Maryland and possibly Purdue, if Brohm heads to UL. I don't see any SEC jobs opening up this year yet, and I don't think Strong gets strong looks (no pun intended that time) out west or in the Big Ten other than PU. Don't see many jobs in the Big 12 opening up yet either.

I think if Strong leaves, it will be due to the domino effect and a bigger school throws a bag of money at him, my darkhorse would be UNC.