• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why Leavitt Should Never be Rehired by USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, lotsofbull99 said:

What a bunch of rubbish, you can't compare any other coach to CJL, because CJL is not just any other coach.

You are right you can’t compare...Petrino was better in terms of results...

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

On 11/12/2018 at 6:45 AM, Orlando Bull said:

Allegedly, or, did you forget that USF paid a settlement to keep him from filing a wrongful termination suit? Not saying he didn't do it, but, there must not have been enough conclusive evidence to make it a solid win for USF.

while that might be true, some times the cheaper alternative to fighting is just settling.

I am not sure what happened other than it appeared CJL got railroaded out of USF without anyone giving the least amount of consideration to finding a way to keep him that other schools who WANT their coach to stay have done. For example, Urban Meyer has faced this type of controversy multiple times and the school(s?) gave him suspensions- not a pink slip. It seems pretty clear to me that enough people-- most likely big donors - were pushing hard to find a way to dump him at the first convenient instance.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  147

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I actually have no problem with Jim regardless how he left here. But IMO he is yesterday’s news and there are dozens of coaches who should get consideration over him if we ever move a different direction. 

and yet you start a thread about him being rehired?

News flash-- last time I checked, CJL was in no way campaigning to get the HC job at USF back. So why bother starting this thread? Oh no-- a couple of posters on a message board half-jokingly floated the idea--- that makes it something of interest.

If anyone asked him, he would probably say he enjoyed his years and the challenge of building a program at USF. If they asked him if he ever wanted to come back, he would probably say that is not going to happen.

Why are we even bothering talking about "rehiring CJL"? Is it so the people who like to openly bash CJL can get a few more pokes in at him? Yeah- we get it-- he never won a conference championship here. No one has. He made funny faces on the sideline--- aww-- what a bastard (Gruden is ok though). He didn't treat the media nice enough? Boo hoo. He didn't kiss the ass of some big time donor(s)? Screw them. He (allegedly) slapped some whining idiot at half time? Cry me a river. He tried to cover up the situation? Ok-- that was pretty dumb or possibly misconstrued. Tons of reasons I guess some hated CJL. You can hate the man-- but he deserves some level of respect.

But the list of what he DID DO is nothing to simply brush off as unimportant either. It is insulting how some talk about him as if starting a brand new football program is so easy. If we ever find another coach as dedicated and hard working as him again, it will be a miracle imo.

So I ask the few people on here who are talking sheet about CJL on this thread to please have a little respect for the effort the guy put in to make USF even slightly relevant in the college football world when they were starting from absolute nothing. Not even a football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

What people seem to forget with the Skip Holtz tenure was his limitation on the recruits he could get past the USF academic board. Leavitt could bring in every JUCO transfer, every borderline athlete that wouldn't qualify at other institutions and so forth (only other coaches complained about Leavitt - not our institution). Holtz was bottled up immediately upon accepting the job. I spoke with two different coaches after the Holtz era and they said he was left in a near impossible position from a recruiting perspective (we're not Stanford or Cal, the USNA or West Point). I wouldn't consider his entire era a failure... heck, the Notre Dame win alone deserves some loyalty from our fan base. Glad he's done well at other stops as to help mitigate the wrath of the USF fan base that just can't get over his tenure here.

16 minutes ago, MikeG said:

and yet you start a thread about him being rehired?

News flash-- last time I checked, CJL was in no way campaigning to get the HC job at USF back. So why bother starting this thread? Oh no-- a couple of posters on a message board half-jokingly floated the idea--- that makes it something of interest.

If anyone asked him, he would probably say he enjoyed his years and the challenge of building a program at USF. If they asked him if he ever wanted to come back, he would probably say that is not going to happen.

Why are we even bothering talking about "rehiring CJL"? Is it so the people who like to openly bash CJL can get a few more pokes in at him? Yeah- we get it-- he never won a conference championship here. No one has. He made funny faces on the sideline--- aww-- what a bastard (Gruden is ok though). He didn't treat the media nice enough? Boo hoo. He didn't kiss the ass of some big time donor(s)? Screw them. He (allegedly) slapped some whining idiot at half time? Cry me a river. He tried to cover up the situation? Ok-- that was pretty dumb or possibly misconstrued. Tons of reasons I guess some hated CJL. You can hate the man-- but he deserves some level of respect.

But the list of what he DID DO is nothing to simply brush off as unimportant either. It is insulting how some talk about him as if starting a brand new football program is so easy. If we ever find another coach as dedicated and hard working as him again, it will be a miracle imo.

So I ask the few people on here who are talking sheet about CJL on this thread to please have a little respect for the effort the guy put in to make USF even slightly relevant in the college football world when they were starting from absolute nothing. Not even a football.

My start of the thread was for informational purposes only and said he SHOULD NOT be rehired. There are more than a few on this board who would like to see him rehired. This topic is just as viable as the fire CCS (and relates as there are those who would want him replaced by Jimbo). In terms of respect he has it! He started the program and then won some big games to get us on the map. I get that. But does that mean he is above being critized while others would like to see him come back? I say no! When he was forced out more than half of this board was celebrating. Over time perspectives change I guess....

24 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

What people seem to forget with the Skip Holtz tenure was his limitation on the recruits he could get past the USF academic board. Leavitt could bring in every JUCO transfer, every borderline athlete that wouldn't qualify at other institutions and so forth (only other coaches complained about Leavitt - not our institution). Holtz was bottled up immediately upon accepting the job. I spoke with two different coaches after the Holtz era and they said he was left in a near impossible position from a recruiting perspective (we're not Stanford or Cal, the USNA or West Point). I wouldn't consider his entire era a failure... heck, the Notre Dame win alone deserves some loyalty from our fan base. Glad he's done well at other stops as to help mitigate the wrath of the USF fan base that just can't get over his tenure here.

This is an excellent point. Skip had one job first and foremost...improve the academics. Leavitt did not have that handicap. But that being said, Skippy was an abomination...

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, MikeG said:

while that might be true, some times the cheaper alternative to fighting is just settling.

I am not sure what happened other than it appeared CJL got railroaded out of USF without anyone giving the least amount of consideration to finding a way to keep him that other schools who WANT their coach to stay have done. For example, Urban Meyer has faced this type of controversy multiple times and the school(s?) gave him suspensions- not a pink slip. It seems pretty clear to me that enough people-- most likely big donors - were pushing hard to find a way to dump him at the first convenient instance.

I've been tangentially involved in a few suits where it was a slam dunk win and the insurance companies underwriting the organization in the lawsuit demanded a settlement rather than risk a judgement.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This is an excellent point. Skip had one job first and foremost...improve the academics. Leavitt did not have that handicap. But that being said, Skippy was an abomination...

agreed Holtz had it tougher but man that guy was a lazy recruiter. how many walk-ons earned scholarships because he didn't find enough quality student-athletes to fill them with.

Just now, Bull94 said:

agreed Holtz had it tougher but man that guy was a lazy recruiter. how many walk-ons earned scholarships because he didn't find enough quality student-athletes to fill them with.

Dude played golf instead of evaluating players. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

20 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This is an excellent point. Skip had one job first and foremost...improve the academics. 

This is still a valid notion?  USF hired a football coach with the main purpose of improving academics over winning football games? 

Man, the Skip apologists know no bounds.  Until I see a source other than hearsay that corroborates this, I'll never believe it.

• Upvote 1