• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs Austin Peay - 11/12 7pm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

I was a former manager and most coaches spend about 5% of the time on free throws. The only time they practiced them was at the end where the coach had each player step up to the line for 2. Gregory might be different but if was me each would have to hit 20 before practice began and then 20 more once it ended

Gregory is all about fundamentals as much as or better then any Head Coach USF men's basketball has ever and will ever have. This team practices are very good and full or teaching and repetitions. The NCAA rules only allow a certain amount of time coaches can spend with players and Gregory maxes that out. This group of USF player are also very good of practicing on their own too. The missed free throws tonight was very unexpected and I don't think we see a lot of that happening much the rest of the season. I would be shocked if it does.

The most encouraging thing coming from this game is that USF won the game while missing so many free throws against a very good mid major team in Austin Peay. Before the game I had USF winning by 2-3 points and that was if they played well in all facets of the game. Austin Peay is very well coached and has a lot of of experience. They also have a serious candidate for Ohio Valley Conference POY.in G/F Terry Taylor who has a pro basketball future. I promise you no USF team over the last 6 seasons would have won this game so I'm surprised and very please that this team, especially early in the season, could win a game like this.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

11 minutes ago, Vega said:

Gregory is all about fundamentals as much as or better then any Head Coach USF men's basketball has ever and will ever have. This team practices are very good and full or teaching and repetitions. The NCAA rules only allow a certain amount of time coaches can spend with players and Gregory maxes that out. This group of USF player are also very good of practicing on their own too. The missed free throws tonight was very unexpected and I don't think we see a lot of that happening much the rest of the season. I would be shocked if it does.

The most encouraging thing coming from this game is that USF won the game while missing so many free throws against a very good mid major team in Austin Peay. Before the game I had USF winning by 2-3 points and that was if they played well in all facets of the game. Austin Peay is very well coached and has a lot of of experience. They also have a serious candidate for Ohio Valley Conference POY.in G/F Terry Taylor who has a pro basketball future. I promise you no USF team over the last 6 seasons would have won this game so I'm surprised and very please that this team, especially early in the season, could win a game like this.

I'm there with you on this.  We have actually been a decebt free throw shooting team under Gregory... i think this is more of an aberration and not something to be overly concerned about. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

8 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

In his post-game radio interview he had all the right things to say. Said that the guards, especially Collins, have to get more aggressive with their shot selection. 

That's what I thought too. Nothing happening but dribbling on the high screen and roll.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

8 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Was at the game tonight. It was the greatest, most terrible game I have ever seen. Gregory has this team playing hard and not quitting. In his post-game radio interview he had all the right things to say. Said that the guards, especially Collins, have to get more aggressive with their shot selection. 

The officiating was atrocious. The game had no flow and it did seem like a disproportionate amount of course calls went against us and too few went our way. 

Love it or hate it, a win is a win. This team is 2-0 and heading to Jamaica with two games against decent competition in Ohio and Georgetown. I remain blissfully optimistic about this team and it's continued improvement as the season progresses. Go Bulls!

9 hours ago, bullsfan27 said:

Gregory is going to have to address the ft problem. Missed 20 ft’s Tonight 

Seems like we had our fair share of calls. 

Didn't watch the game as my wife was giving me play by play from StatCast or whatever they use.  She did fine except for the fact that the thing indicated that the game was over in regulation and we lost by 2.  Nice surprise to wake up this morning and see that we won.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

58 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Seems like we had our fair share of calls. 

Didn't watch the game as my wife was giving me play by play from StatCast or whatever they use.  She did fine except for the fact that the thing indicated that the game was over in regulation and we lost by 2.  Nice surprise to wake up this morning and see that we won.

I'm not talking about just the fouls. There were questionable traveling and jump ball calls. There was also a point early in the second half when we really could have pulled away that they called illegal screens on about 3 plays in a row. Both teams fouled a ton last night, but it was the types of calls on questionable plays that we're going against us. Reffing was pretty rough though. Even without overtime, it was almost a 2.5 hour game. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Officiating made that game unwatchable. I was pretty much begging for Brown to miss those FTs so I didn't have to watch OT.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

34 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I'm not talking about just the fouls. There were questionable traveling and jump ball calls. There was also a point early in the second half when we really could have pulled away that they called illegal screens on about 3 plays in a row. Both teams fouled a ton last night, but it was the types of calls on questionable plays that we're going against us. Reffing was pretty rough though. Even without overtime, it was almost a 2.5 hour game. 

There was a scramble in overtime that somehow ended without a single call. There were multiple opportunities to call jump ball and the refs refused to. 

Glad we fought hard and pulled this one out. I love what Gregory is doing and think he’s the right guy for this job. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We would have lost this game last year. The fact the team did not play well at certain yet found a way to win by playing well in others says a lot. 15 wins is very doable. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  53
  • Days Won:  1

Great effort.  Bulls just lack a big time 3 point-shooter.  I've never seen a college game in which a team was in the double-bonus withing 7 minutes of the half.  Yetna was called for two touch files and had an overall miserable game.  Durr appears to be a natural rebounder who keeps consistently good positioning on the floor. Rideau is a scrappy, hard-guarding guard, but has to make better decisions.  Kiir was a joy to watch on the court, playing with great enthusiasm and has some outstanding inside moves.  This could easily have been a double-digit win against a team that won 18 games last year and returned two of its best players.  USF had only three guys on the court who payed here last year at all, and Scevic likely won't see much action unless injuries occur.  Lots to be optimistic about.  This should be a .500 team this year and is deeper talent-wise than any team since Greenberg was here with BB and Jackson.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,163
  • Days Won:  56

Some observations from the stands:

Rideau is the type of player that keeps both teams in the game. I hold my breath with him.

Kiir could be an all-conference player before he's done.

David Collins needs to be more selfish.

Yetna is as advertised - great rebounder if he can stay on the floor.

We play hard and have some depth. If they shot the ball just 1% better we win by double digits in regulation.

The refs were awful.