• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Self scouting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

56 minutes ago, usf97 said:

Just a thought....has USF ever had what you would consider a "Good" Offensive Coordinator? I don't think so. 

These guys know with our schedule and the talent pool here in Florida, that if they just recruit half way decent, you will win-7-10 games a year just out-talenting the other team regardless of what Offense run. 

Rod Smith seemed like an Okay OC. 

Greg Gregory

Mike Canales

Todd Fitch

David Reaves 

Sterlin Gilbert

Think of all of our signature wins. Maybe Pitt 2001' or TCU 2004' were because of our offense. 

Reaves while not great was solid as an OC.  We had imagination and set up defenses for big plays in 2016.   

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Reaves while not great was solid as an OC.  We had imagination and set up defenses for big plays in 2016.   

That was Reaves/CWT. If I recall Tags was the play caller. We were constantly setting the defense up with our play calls and it seemed like it was always on time. I really believe we would have gone undefeated last year with the 2016 coaching staff since they understood what to do with the players that they recruited.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

Good coaches adjust their system to their current personnel. Our coaches make the players adjust to the coaches scheme without changing the scheme. This is why our offense and defense will not work. Taggart was the same way for the first 2.5 years on offense until he finally saw the light and realized he needed to let Flowers make plays. Once that happened we started to win. Unfortunately I don't see Strong changing the schemes to match what each player does best so a player can be successful. He can recruit the personnel for his scheme but that needs to be done in the offseason. Right now he needs to change the offensive and defensive scheme to suite wha the has now.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

6 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

Taggart was the same way for the first 2.5 years on offense until he finally saw the light and realized he needed to let Flowers make plays. Once that happened we started to win. 

The offense was completely changed after year 2. Tags was just still conservative with his play calling.  During the Cuse game he went kitchen sink mode and the rest is hisSTORY

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

50 minutes ago, SaltyBulls said:

To the best of my knowledge, we have ran a HB dive on the first play of every game so far this season.  Maybe Gilbert is just setting up UCF for that play action pass at the end of the season to start the game and throw a TD.  We can only hope...

Jesus... are we even trying anymore when it comes to ******** about the coaching? By doing the barest minimum of research, I can tell you we started the Elon game out with 2 consecutive passes. The first play of the UMass game was a pass. The first play of the UConn game was a pass. Try a little self-scouting on your posts. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

13 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Jesus... are we even trying anymore when it comes to ******** about the coaching? By doing the barest minimum of research, I can tell you we started the Elon game out with 2 consecutive passes. The first play of the UMass game was a pass. The first play of the UConn game was a pass. Try a little self-scouting on your posts. 

Jesus doesn't have to do research. He just knows.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

58 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I will say that it SEEMS to me that the first play after a long one is generally a HB dive.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

34 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I will say that it SEEMS to me that the first play after a long one is generally a HB dive.

That's because that's the narrative that's been created

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  2

If we start a fund and everytime someone says HB Dive on this forum they have to pay we would have our OCS by 2020.....

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

That's because that's the narrative that's been created

No, I think that’s far more accurate than saying we do this to start every game. Almost after every long gain we run it up the middle.  It’s not every single time, but I’d be highly surprised if it weren’t 90-95% of the time. Either way, we have a predictable offense. We’re trying to win on athleticism and that’s not going to cut it against better teams.  Our offense used to be exciting to watch, mainly because of Q, but it could still be exciting now with the players we have. It’s generally been boring. Some might even say it’s offensive. 

Edited by OcalaBull2
  • Upvote 1