• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Self scouting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

21 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Coaches know what Bama is going to do on offense and defense, yet they can't stop them.

2017 set USFs single season yardage record because the Strong's staff don't scout themselves obviously.

When Barnett makes good decisions and completes passes the offense is really fun to watch and has no problems driving to the red zone. Playcalling is pretty good for the most part, except in the red zone I think some criticism has merit. 

I think the position coaching and practices probabaly need to be improved more than the game day play calling. We need fewer flags, fewer dropped passes, better blocking, and Barnett to make better decisions. That is all fixed in practice. Calling slant routes instead of up the middle carry doesn't stop false start or help the O-line block better. 

Our running backs are racking up huge huge yards on everyone. The run/pass split is about 50/50... I don't understand why so many complain about the running plays. Because some get 1-2 yards? What about all the 8-12 yard chunks and breaks to the endzone? 

I think this pretty much sums it all up.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Coaches know what Bama is going to do on offense and defense, yet they can't stop them.

2017 set USFs single season yardage record because the Strong's staff don't scout themselves obviously.

When Barnett makes good decisions and completes passes the offense is really fun to watch and has no problems driving to the red zone. Playcalling is pretty good for the most part, except in the red zone I think some criticism has merit. 

I think the position coaching and practices probabaly need to be improved more than the game day play calling. We need fewer flags, fewer dropped passes, better blocking, and Barnett to make better decisions. That is all fixed in practice. Calling slant routes instead of up the middle carry doesn't stop false start or help the O-line block better. 

Our running backs are racking up huge huge yards on everyone. The run/pass split is about 50/50... I don't understand why so many complain about the running plays. Because some get 1-2 yards? What about all the 8-12 yard chunks and breaks to the endzone? 

Well stated! 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

So, in other words, your assessment that the predictable offense isn't going to cut it against better teams is just conjecture because we haven't played one yet if you're not counting Houston .... Love how the haters keep moving those goal posts.

What’s so bad for wanting better for this team? I’m not being a hater. I’m making an assessment that a lot of other fans make about this team. I pay my money for season tickets, I show up to support the team, and I have the right to criticize what I want when I feel like we can be better. This is a forum. Not a website to interview the coaches. 

Edited by OcalaBull2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, Gismo said:

42 carries as opposed to 26 passes is not 50/50, especially when the carries went for almost 60 yards less of total yards. Do we criticize the runs more than we should? Probably. I myself being one of those fans, especially when we have a player that rushes for over 100 yards every single game. The difference between us an Bama is that they seem to utilize their talent better. For whatever reason something doesn’t seem to be clicking with this offense like it should. People aren’t just making this up. It seems like other teams are able to run a better offense against the same teams we barely beat. You may be spot on in saying it has to do with practice. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Some would argue that it's GOOD coaching to shorten the game by running the football when your defense is young, undisciplined, unable to tackle, and overall struggling.

I don't know where I stand on these coaches, but, I suspect that Gilbert will be gone after this year. USF isn't going to match his Texas money and he'll probably want to move back into Texas, even at a smaller school to work with players more ready for his system so that he can go earn a big pay-day again. Some will think that is good for us, and, maybe it will prove to be that way. Only time will tell.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

7 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

What’s so bad for wanting better for this team? I’m not being a hater. I’m making an assessment that a lot of other fans make about this team. I pay my money for season tickets, I show up to support the team, and I have the right to criticize what I want when I feel like we can be better. This is a forum. Not a website to interview the coaches. 

You're right it is a forum, which means interaction. If you want to post an assessment and not get it critiqued, start a blog and don't allow comments. There's nothing at all wrong for wanting better for this team but when you put something out there that's not based in reality expect to get some feedback ...... just like all of us do who make assessments.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

What’s so bad for wanting better for this team? I’m not being a hater. 

Obviously people support the team in different ways and we need all the support we can get these days.  

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

We get high rushing yards because of a few long runs.  That does not help the defense stay off the field.  The majority of our inside runs are for little to no yards.  They lead to many quick series that put the gassed defense back on the field.  Seeing as I have a job, I do not have the time to scout USF and their play calling.  However, I am smart enough to realize that this offense is not effective the MAJORITY of the time because of play calling.  

Alabama doesn't have to adjust what they do because they can run 5 star athlete after 5 star athlete out onto the field.  They can out talent nearly every team in the country.  So that is an apples to oranges comparison.  We are not at the same level that Alabama is so coaching is even more important here.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

22 minutes ago, SaltyBulls said:

Seeing as I have a job, I do not have the time to scout USF and their play calling.

Didn't keep you from creating a thread about it. Why stop now?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

The difference between us an Bama is that they seem to utilize their talent better.

Oh...my friend...there are so many differences. But it's easy to utilize talent when you have it in every position, sometimes 2 & 3 deep.

• Upvote 1