• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Houston slips past USF in AAC power rankings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I didn't justify anything. it was only in response to puc who thought no reasonable person could feel cincy has played a tougher schedule. I just linked 2 objective SOS rankings and they both had Cincy higher. Not sure why that is comical. In fact S&P+ has Cincy rated ahead of us by 10 spots. It was one guys opinion. He is entitled to it. and obviously he is not that far off. maybe you should take your blinders off.

It is my fault for overstating my claim as I knew our schedules were close in any rankings I had seen and many times we were marginally better. What I should have said is I do not see how anyone could see their schedule as so much better than ours as to use it for justification of a higher ranking. As @chapelbull pointed out these differences are nominal at best and I really can’t believe anyone would argue in a vacuum that Cincinnati being undefeated with the 125th sos would be clearly better than USF being undefeated with the 127th SOS (according to one of thousands of SOS rankings).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, chapelbull said:

You're not saying anything different.  The whole thing is comical.  125>127, 94>104.  Crown Them!

Crown them what? I didn't say anything about them having played a tougher schedule or that they have looked better doing it. I just linked objective rankings that say exactly that which a few green and gold gogglers couldn't possibly believe to be true.

I haven't seen them play. I know we don't look very impressive but I don't have an opinion on whether or not we are better.

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It is my fault for overstating my claim as I knew our schedules were close in any rankings I had seen and many times we were marginally better. What I should have said is I do not see how anyone could see their schedule as so much better than ours as to use it for justification of a higher ranking. As @chapelbull pointed out these differences are nominal at best and I really can’t believe anyone would argue in a vacuum that woCincinnati being undefeated with the 125th sos uld be clearly better than USF being undefeated with the 127th SOS (according to one of thousands of SOS rankings).

so couldn't the same be said about USF? How can you say USF should clearly be ranked higher? It was his opinion. he chose to rank Cincy higher. Not to far fetched really. S&P+ has them higher. Hell Sagarin's has them 14 spots higher than us.

Edited by Bull94

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

so couldn't the same be said about USF? How can you say USF should clearly be ranked higher? It was his opinion.

Because a) I’m a USF fan so anything close to a tie goes to USF (and I’m not sure why it would be more valuable to reverse that calculation) b) I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with Cincinnati, the SOS they have and how they have looked playing those games and everything to do with the fact that this is the team being followed so all the weaknesses of UC have not been scrutinized while our weaknesses are picked over with a fine tooth comb. c) I can’t be convinced beating UCLA is a serious difference maker and that anyone actually believes 125>127 in one sos ranking would be empirical evidence that would tilt the argument to anyone’s favor. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Because a) I’m a USF fan so anything close to a tie goes to USF (and I’m not sure why it would be more valuable to reverse that calculation) b) I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with Cincinnati, the SOS they have and how they have looked playing those games and everything to do with the fact that this is the team being followed so all the weaknesses of UC have not been scrutinized while our weaknesses are picked over with a fine tooth comb. c) I can’t be convinced beating UCLA is a serious difference maker and that anyone actually believes 125>127 in one sos ranking would be empirical evidence that would tilt the argument to anyone’s favor. 

d) I can't believe this flipping conversation is still taking place ....

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

FWIW, Sagarin has our SOS at 107 and Cincy at 118. I think rational minds could agree that USF and Cincy have played very similar schedules in terms of difficulty. There is nothing about Cincy's schedule that should make anyone go, "Wow, that schedule is harder than USF's." I was really just curious about which of their opponents the poster thought were harder than say Georgia Tech. I think a very strong case could be made that our win over Georgia Tech is the second (or tied for the second) most impressive non-conference win in the AAC behind Temple over Maryland (tied with UCF over Pitt). 

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

FWIW, Sagarin has our SOS at 107 and Cincy at 118. I think rational minds could agree that USF and Cincy have played very similar schedules in terms of difficulty. There is nothing about Cincy's schedule that should make anyone go, "Wow, that schedule is harder than USF's." I was really just curious about which of their opponents the poster thought were harder than say Georgia Tech. I think a very strong case could be made that our win over Georgia Tech is the second (or tied for the second) most impressive non-conference win in the AAC behind Temple over Maryland (tied with UCF over Pitt). 

FWIW Sagarin has us ranked 63 and Cincy 49

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

FWIW Sagarin has us ranked 63 and Cincy 49

Link or it didn’t happen