• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Playcalling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

52 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Our offense depends on being able to run the ball.  That opens up everything else.  For some reason either lack of running back depth because of injuries or bad offensive line exposed by a better defense, we were dead in the water. 

Actually Gilbert has said since day one that he uses the passing game to set up the run. 

Last night he did a good job early spreading the defense out by using the usual bubble screens and 8 to 10 yard hitches. Even threw a nifty pass out into the flat to Cronkrite. 

After the 2nd TD then when Wilcox went out the playcalling reverted back to HB Dive. 

There were very few, if any, slants. Tunnel screens, that we saw vs Illinois.  And because the OL couldn't pass protect to save their lives, we had no threat of a deep ball to get the defense to back out of the box. 

Sometimes, it seems that Gilbert gets tunnel vision in what he wants to do and refuses to alter his play calling to what the D will give him. 

I also thought some of the play calls when Ford was in were idiotic. Why on earth would you try to run a dive play on 3rd and 4 with a 140lb running back?  Then, why use him as a blocking back on a 3rd down pass?  Not only is he too small to pick up a DE or blitzing LB. He isn't experienced enough.  Cronkrite is good in those situations. 

I saw Ford miss his assignment on those plays twice in important situations leading to sacks. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

image.png

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

The plain and simple answer for the problems last night was the blocking up front...but it also seemed like there was minimal adjustment to that...don’t remember seeing a TE staying in to block...all the pressure was coming from the edges but The RB was up near the center in protection blocking air...Barnett didn’t seem to have time...the blocking up front for run plays was suspect at best...

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Poor blocking and not enough play balance to offset said bad blocking. They didn't help Blake out much when the line couldn't protect his butt. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233

I think we should throw a pro set at some point and use one back with two tightends. It will give us two large body receivers with one going long to clear out that second DB.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

1.) Need to bring in the slant play 

2.) Need to setup a screen to the RB

3.) Need to move the pocket

4.) Need to roll out Barnett 

Why any of these were not done is beyond me. Personnel? Injuries? Cloak and dagger?

Edited by George Jenkins
Cloak and dagger

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,807
  • Days Won:  0

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

image.png

One sustained drive is terrible 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688

The worst part of the play calling is that there is not enough situational variety. If we get like 15 yards and a 1st down, the next action 90% of the time is scramble up to snap the ball and run straight up the middle, often for small 1-3 yards. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

14-2 with this play calling with a bad OL...don't forget all the costly penalties and turnovers...We also don't have depth on D so Strong had to protect the D...

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

47 minutes ago, Gismo said:

The worst part of the play calling is that there is not enough situational variety. If we get like 15 yards and a 1st down, the next action 90% of the time is scramble up to snap the ball and run straight up the middle, often for small 1-3 yards. 

I brought this up last week, but I fully agree with you. Throw a screen or jet sweep after the long pass. We’re so insanely predictable.