• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Playcalling

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

I’ve harped in Gilbert and had the pitchfork ready plenty of times in the past, but there are some that say he’s doing a great job and that last year it was just the QB that didn’t fit his system. Last night Quinton Flowers wasn’t in the game. 

I’m not saying Gilbert is to blame, now, because I’m trying to look at it from a different perspective and be more open minded, but why am I getting the sense that teams are having a very easy time game planning for us? It appears that when they put two safeties in the back out world comes crashing down. I felt like we adjust really well against Illinois, and the score and amount of yards proved it. But this offense has playmakers, and a lot of them. Even ones that can come in off the bench. So at what point does coaching get the blame? We’ve yet to put a team away, and the pattern I’m seeing is that teams we’re struggling against end up not being very good. 

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I'm going to throw this out there, but does anyone else think that we are still not showing our entire hand during this relatively soft part of our schedule?  No sweeps, no screens (despite the constant pass rush).  Thoughts?

Edited by Ricky the Bull

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Days Won:  0

Our offense depends on being able to run the ball.  That opens up everything else.  For some reason either lack of running back depth because of injuries or bad offensive line exposed by a better defense, we were dead in the water. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Our offense depends on being able to run the ball.  That opens up everything else.  For some reason either lack of running back depth because of injuries or bad offensive line exposed by a better defense, we were dead in the water. 

Defenses now see how to play us. Stack the box and drop two safeties deep...our offensive line is not good enough to stop the pressure up front on running plays and pass protection 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

3 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

This is true but the question is when we are totally getting punked up front where is the line between being committed to the run and being stupid, and which side of that line are we usually on. 

14 minutes ago, slowdown said:

This is true but the question is when we are totally getting punked up front where is the line between being committed to the run and being stupid, and which side of that line are we usually on. 

Yes this x10. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how our offense works. If our offense relies on running the ball, what do we do? I like the TE pass up the middle but that looked like it was left at practice this week, or in Chicago. If we’re not showing the playbook, why? So it’s ok to let a team like ECU be one play away from us in the final quarter of the game because we don’t open up our playbook?

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,347

21 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

I'm going to throw this out there, but does anyone else think that we are still not showing our entire hand during this relatively soft part of our schedule?  No sweeps, no screens (despite the constant pass rush).  Thoughts?

I had the same thought. Frustrating to watch them grind these games out when you know they have more plays than this.

36 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

That didn’t work out so well against Houston last year, because we found out at the end of the season that there was much more to the playbook than shown. At some point a smart team with good talent will exploit that, and it’ll be too late for a 4th quarter comeback if we keep this pattern up. I’ve heard Barnett fits this system so much better, and I don’t disagree with that, but points on the board would be a great indicator for more proof. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Days Won:  28

We have 5 injured running backs from what i read in 247.... which is sad with how many backs we have period. We lost Bell, Sands, Mack, and Small. Not sure when they are coming back. Horne is also out for the season. 

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

We have 5 injured running backs from what i read in 247.... which is sad with how many backs we have period. We lost Bell, Sands, Mack, and Small. Not sure when they are coming back. Horne is also out for the season. 

Ford and Cronkrite can get things done and from the sounds of it some of the others are week to week. I don’t expect us at all to have them out all season. Cronkrite is our best RB and he’s healthy.