• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barnett Wins the Starting Job

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Speaking of Blake Barnett, does he throw for 450+ yards?

Place a bet with your site points

My only concern was him staying on the field but i'll take the odds

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

You Bulls are all about who starts and all of that. :huh:

Here are my concerns:

(1) Will there be protection for a pocket QB? And what kind of passing plays are we running to get the yards?

(2) And if the QB and WRs can't get 10 yards, how are we running on the ground in the same set of 3-down plays to get enough to move the chains? Running up the middle is not going to work when we play somebody good.

They didn't want to use Flowers the right way (like Ca$h did). Now, they are putting in a pocket QB to run the offense.

The other QBs we have are built on mobility and the old system.

(3) If this game plan goes south, are we going to be happy with a bowl game in St. Pete at the end of the season?

I trust nothing until I see what these coaches do. They didn't adapt to the players from last season (to the degree that I wanted!). Now, they are putting in their system. Well, let's see what happens...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, NovaBull said:

As a fellow D1 athlete, you have to find a spot to play. The ultimate goal is to go pro, which you can’t do if you ride the pine.

Sometimes the coaching staff isn’t the right fit and sometimes you sit behind Tom Brady....

Edit...former D1 athlete many years ago.

And coming from a team with a coaching staff I disliked, I wish the rules had been the same for me as it was for the coaches.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

On 8/24/2018 at 3:55 PM, Skingraft said:

this kid is faster than I thought

Deceptively fast.  Some of those guys had a decent angle on him and he trucked on by.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:22 PM, Bulls On Parade said:

Man he did look pretty quick running around I wonder how his speed compares to now.

I'm really just glad he is not a tree.  Looks like he is not afraid to pull the ball down once in a while.

Everyone is referring to him as a pocket passer, which he is, but the kid is an athlete I'll give him that. thanks

I was a Chris O fan but I'm pretty excited about this kid.  The dude is a 5 start QB, something we've never come close to in the past.

I'm old enough to remember striking out again and again on guys like Cornelius Ingrim and Brent Schaeffer only to have to settle for Pat Julmiste.

Carlton Williams and Ford were phenomenal athletes but there were reasons they fell to us in those days.  That was true for many of our star players back then.  They all had something going on, whether grades or possibly work ethics that the bigs picked up on and passed on them.

What is our biggest knock against this guy? He got beat out at Alabama by Jalen Hurt?  Umm ok, I can live with that.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, MMW said:

Deceptively fast.  Some of those guys had a decent angle on him and he trucked on by.

I'm really just glad he is not a tree.  Looks like he is not afraid to pull the ball down once in a while.

Everyone is referring to him as a pocket passer, which he is, but the kid is an athlete I'll give him that. thanks

I was a Chris O fan but I'm pretty excited about this kid.  The dude is a 5 start QB, something we've never come close to in the past.

I'm old enough to remember striking out again and again on guys like Cornelius Ingrim and Brent Schaeffer only to have to settle for Pat Julmiste.

Carlton Williams and Ford were phenomenal athletes but there were reasons they fell to us in those days.  That was true for many of our star players back then.  They all had something going on, whether grades or possibly work ethics that the bigs picked up on and passed on them.

What is our biggest knock against this guy? He got beat out at Alabama by Jalen Hurt?  Umm ok, I can live with that.

**** that's a name I haven't heard in awhile. I played against him in high school (basketball). Dude tried to dunk on me, almost jumping over me. I fouled him hard and almost got kicked out. I didn't mean to foul the guy but I was not letting his nuts hit my face!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, ForestBull said:

**** that's a name I haven't heard in awhile. I played against him in high school (basketball). Dude tried to dunk on me, almost jumping over me. I fouled him hard and almost got kicked out. I didn't mean to foul the guy but I was not letting his nuts hit my face!

For thi you get new nick-name, "NuttCracker". :guinness:

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ForestBull said:

LOL, for me and probably others on the boards it does not seem like that long ago.

While you were avoiding getting nutsacked these boards were much like they are today, filled wit crotchety old men hanging on every word of David Glaser while he drove across state to Cornelius's signing ceremony where he pulled out an UF cap.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

43 minutes ago, MMW said:

LOL, for me and probably others on the boards it does not seem like that long ago.

While you were avoiding getting nutsacked these boards were much like they are today, filled wit crotchety old men hanging on every word of David Glaser while he drove across state to Cornelius's signing ceremony where he pulled out an UF cap.

With McMurphy riding shotgun! What a day!  🙂

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/26/2018 at 12:46 AM, Flowers4Heisman said:

The other QBs we have are built on mobility and the old system.

Which is maybe one reason CCS chose Barnett. If CCS and Gilbert prefer to run a pro style offense, and they feel they have the personnel to run it to their standard, why wouldn't they pick the QB that is most qualified to do it? Why would a HC and OC run an offense they are not comfortable with? Your concerns are very short sighted. Each coach that is hired by any school, is hired to win and implement their systems, not to carryover the previous coaches. This process when done correctly and over the proper time period will yield a sustainable culture and system all incoming players can pick up and be taught by upper class men. CCS is a very highly qualified coach who is very familiar with Fla and recruiting Fla players. Knowing the players he is bringing in, he would understand if his system is sustainable or not. We have to trust the process and understand there will be growing pains. I will gladly take a year or two playing in St. Pete or no bowls, for the growth process to yield multiple conference championships and a culture of winning. We have to keep the long term goals in mind and get out of the instant gratification thought process that hinders our society today. Go Bulls!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, michibull said:

Which is maybe one reason CCS chose Barnett. If CCS and Gilbert prefer to run a pro style offense, and they feel they have the personnel to run it to their standard, why wouldn't they pick the QB that is most qualified to do it? Why would a HC and OC run an offense they are not comfortable with? 

I think this makes a lot of sense.  We always seem to have access to dual threat QB's and perhaps rely of them due to OL troubles we have.  My memory might be fuzzy but I believe our last two HC's preferred pocket passing and even tried to convert the talent we had to fit that scheme to no avail.

It seems that now that we have a so called pocket passer Gilbert will get to implement the system he wants.  That does not say the BK or CO were not solid passers from the pocket.  I really haven't seen enough to know their strengths and weaknesses.

My only knock on Kean was that he did not seem to provide a spark on the few occasions he was in the game.  Someone compared his HC career to Grothe or something but Grothe was special the moment he stepped on the field.