• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

College football rivalries... USF/UCF mentioned

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, puc86 said:

Football is a zero sum game and there is no such thing as mutual success because in order for someone to win someone needs to lose. UCF had no measurable success at all, in any fashion prior to us pulling them up from the gutter where they belonged. You can pretend that this was some how mutually beneficial all you want but there is no evidence that indicates it. CJL had ran them over and left them for dead at 0-4 and when he was wrongfully terminated (as proven in court) we decided to back up to them and instead of running them over again bring them into the car with us, nurse them back to health and then let them shove us out of the car and run us over. We didn’t need a rival it was a want by some amongst us that lacked vision and wanted to force it at any cost. UCF is not good for us, they have never benefited us at all and have only managed to have any success at our expense. 

Um...this is college football where strength of schedule gets you in the playoffs. Which means that yes, your rivals have to have success in order for you SOC to improve...especially for a G6 school. The best college game last year was UCF vs. USF and both teams got a lot of great publicity. In the end, there was NOTHING USF could have done about UCF joining the AAC. Both teams played the cards they were dealt and UCF has a BCS win, an undefeated season, 2 AAC titles, and a New Years bowl victory. USF, haven't had the best hands dealt to us, but our time is coming. CJL was 4-0 against UCF while we were in a BCS conference and they were in C-USA. We were SUPPOSE to go 4-0 against them. He did nothing special.  The playing field got leveled when they joined our conference and they have had more success than us since they joined.  Every major team has a rival. Alabama Vs Auburn, Florida vs. FSU, Miami vs. FSU and  many other great teams in college football have a true rival. In the end, UCF didn't ask to be our rival, but they came in the AAC and started kicking ass. So you can not acknowledge them as our rival all you want, but you hate them and they hate us, and its too late to turn back. All we can do is support our team so that we can catch up in terms of accomplishments or surpass them. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Um...this is college football where strength of schedule gets you in the playoffs. Which means that yes, your rivals have to have success in order for you SOC to improve...especially for a G6 school. The best college game last year was UCF vs. USF and both teams got a lot of great publicity. In the end, there was NOTHING USF could have done about UCF joining the AAC. Both teams played the cards they were dealt and UCF has a BCS win, an undefeated season, 2 AAC titles, and a New Years bowl victory. USF, haven't had the best hands dealt to us, but our time is coming. CJL was 4-0 against UCF while we were in a BCS conference and they were in C-USA. We were SUPPOSE to go 4-0 against them. He did nothing special.  The playing field got leveled when they joined our conference and they have had more success than us since they joined.  Every major team has a rival. Alabama Vs Auburn, Florida vs. FSU, Miami vs. FSU and  many other great teams in college football have a true rival. In the end, UCF didn't ask to be our rival, but they came in the AAC and started kicking ass. So you can not acknowledge them as our rival all you want, but you hate them and they hate us, and its too late to turn back. All we can do is support our team so that we can catch up in terms of accomplishments or surpass them. 

“CJL was 4-0 against UCF while we were in a BCS conference and they were in C-USA. We were SUPPOSE to go 4-0 against them. He did nothing special.  The playing field got leveled when they joined our conference and they have had more success than us since they joined.”

This is spot on!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,003
  • Days Won:  469

15 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

CJL was 4-0 against UCF while we were in a BCS conference and they were in C-USA. We were SUPPOSE to go 4-0 against them. He did nothing special.  The playing field got leveled when they joined our conference and they have had more success than us since they joined.  

Pretty sure that is the point he’s making.  Leavitt did not want them at the same level, competing for the same resources.  He didn’t want a level playing field, why would he, or anyone?  You see what ended up happening when others thought differently?  Fierce competition in CFB doesn’t really invite team to give a “hand up” to inferior programs except at their own risk.  We learned, maybe.

Leavitt also wanted to be a BCS/P5 program.  He honestly thought he could take us to UF, FSU levels while others seemed intent on the minors.  And that’s where we are.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, puc86 said:

Football is a zero sum game and there is no such thing as mutual success because in order for someone to win someone needs to lose. UCF had no measurable success at all, in any fashion prior to us pulling them up from the gutter where they belonged.

How exactly are you blaming USF for that? I'm not getting this angle at all ...

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Pretty sure that is the point he’s making.  Leavitt did not want them at the same level, competing for the same resources.  He didn’t want a level playing field, why would he, or anyone?  You see what ended up happening when others thought differently?  Fierce competition in CFB doesn’t really invite team to give a “hand up” to inferior programs except at their own risk.  We learned, maybe.

Leavitt also wanted to be a BCS/P5 program.  He honestly thought he could take us to UF, FSU levels while others seemed intent on the minors.  And that’s where we are.

Just as USF lacked any kind of power to block UCF from the BE before Pitt, Cuse ETC bolted they did not have the power to block them after they bolted.    You two sound just as silly as the knight fans who tried to portray Judy as some kind of mob boss muscling the conference into not adding UCF sooner than they did.  We had a say in them joining or not but didn't have the ability to block them at any point in time.   

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

Leavitt was 100% correct ..... but how in the heck are you and Puc blaming USF for us being at the same level now?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Leavitt was 100% correct ..... but how in the heck are you and Puc blaming USF for us being at the same level now?

I don’t think anyone is blaming anyone for where we are now.  I think the argument is whether we should be cheering on UCF to higher levels of success so that it in some way benefits us.  I think that’s the argument.  Some think the making of UCF an equal rival is to our benefit.  Far more to theirs.

To your other point, do you believe that a conference member has no power to block the admission of a new conference member, Big East or otherwise?   Were there really no ways for USF to block an in state school?  Seems others are really good at it throughout the country.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don’t think anyone is blaming anyone for where we are now.  I think the argument is whether we should be cheering on UCF to higher levels of success so that it in some way benefits us.  I think that’s the argument.  Some think the making of UCF an equal rival is to our benefit.  Far more to theirs.

To your other point, do you believe that a conference member has no power to block the admission of a new conference member, Big East or otherwise?   Were there really no ways for USF to block an in state school?  Seems others are really good at it throughout the country.

1. A real man wouldn't co-sign blocking another school from joining our conference. That is what a "hater" does. Aren't we mad at teams from the B-12 from blocking us from joining them? I don't think any school should block another school from joining their conference. Let them join and whoop their ass while they are in our conference. 2. Nobody is cheering UCF on. Hell the only reason I would want them to keep winning so that it makes our victories over them even sweeter. In addition, we need our opponents to have success to give us a better strength of schedule b/c in college football you are "voted" in. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don’t think anyone is blaming anyone for where we are now.  I think the argument is whether we should be cheering on UCF to higher levels of success so that it in some way benefits us.  I think that’s the argument.  Some think the making of UCF an equal rival is to our benefit.  Far more to theirs

Lot of mixed stances on this, I guess. I think it's foolish to not consider them our rival now, based on where we are ...... but I think it's ******* mind boggling how any USF fan can, even in the least way possible, be cheering on their success ..... I don't give a **** about this G5 v P5 thing. That ain't how rivalries work.

Throw the door open and get FIU and FAU in the American, why not?  Increase our chances for success!