• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Student fee to possibly fund on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

The answer to your question is, never. Colleges have been milking students to pay for athletics since at least 1905 when Walter Camp was charging students an $8 fee. That's about $215 each in today's dollars, if you're scoring at home.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,594
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

OU

58 minutes ago, JTrue said:

The Walter Camp connection?

The awards keep rolling in for Baker Mayfield. 

After being named the 2017 AP Player of the Year earlier in the day, Mayfield earned the Walter Camp Player of the Year award

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

4 hours ago, Triple B said:
5 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

OU

5 hours ago, JTrue said:

The Walter Camp connection?

The awards keep rolling in for Baker Mayfield. 

After being named the 2017 AP Player of the Year earlier in the day, Mayfield earned the Walter Camp Player of the Year award

pretty weak sauce there, son

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree, relative to the stadium, it is a problem and perhaps there is no AD around who could whip-up the masses...especially due to the G5 classification. But getting an on campus practice facility should not be this big of an issue...especially if it is downgraded to just the field with a cover. 

With your donation of $200 it wil have to fit under a bargain level tailgate ⛺️.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

With your donation of $200 it wil have to fit under a bargain level tailgate ⛺️.

Yet if every USF alumni (over 300,000 of us) donated $200 we would almost be there ($60 mil). A grassroots campaign to finance a stadium is not a bad strategy as compared to only going after the whales. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yet if every USF alumni (over 300,000 of us) donated $200 we would almost be there ($60 mil). A grassroots campaign to finance a stadium is not a bad strategy as compared to only going after the whales. 

It sounds good and reasonable, but I don't think it has quite worked out.   Based on Harlan's background, I'm guessing he was brought here to expand the "whale" base and increase corporate level support.  The 3 year extension with nominal pay raise could mean the powers that be think he is on the right track and could use a few more years to finish the job.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Grass roots would imply that a fan started the campaign, which anyone is welcome to do.  Start a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, open an account, and start accepting donations.

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

Grass roots would imply that a fan started the campaign, which anyone is welcome to do.  Start a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, open an account, and start accepting donations.

Grassroots could still be done in the athletic dept. Let MH go after the whales and put a team together to design a strategy for the minows. If they are willing to pay me to do their work I would be happy do their work for them.

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

It sounds good and reasonable, but I don't think it has quite worked out.   Based on Harlan's background, I'm guessing he was brought here to expand the "whale" base and increase corporate level support.  The 3 year extension with nominal pay raise could mean the powers that be think he is on the right track and could use a few more years to finish the job.

The nominal pay raise is tied to bonuses from fundraising. This contract makes it clear that fundraising is a big part of his job. Again, nothing wrong with going after the whale base but in my opinion there is cash from other alumni sources. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The nominal pay raise is tied to bonuses from fundraising. This contract makes it clear that fundraising is a big part of his job. Again, nothing wrong with going after the whale base but in my opinion there is cash from other alumni sources. 

I agree, but I don't think that is really his primary objective.  Maybe someone else in the office is supposed to continue to cultivate the minnows, but I'm pretty sure his purpose for being here is corporate type support.  Which in Tampa is much more challenging than LA