• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Student fee to possibly fund on-campus football stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I agree, but I don't think that is really his primary objective.  Maybe someone else in the office is supposed to continue to cultivate the minnows, but I'm pretty sure his purpose for being here is corporate type support.  Which in Tampa is much more challenging than LA 

You are correct. Other than the few obvious ones, I don’t know enough about the corporatations in Tampa. But I agree it has to be tough sledding. Hopefully MH has identified a process strategy that identifies these firms, their contacts ( USF alumni?), projected “asks”, as well as benchmarks relative to time. I hope MH can make it happen. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

17 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

I don’t recall being charged any fee that was to support inter-collegiate athletics in any way.   If you wanted to attend football games you purchased a student season ticket.   One of my granddaughters is a student there now and it’s still the same way.

According to the Google and OSU's website, all students at OSU pay a $37.50 per semester Student Activity Fee. Part of which goes towards lowering the cost of tickets to sporting events for all students. So you pay a fee in order to buy a cheaper ticket. Saying students don't make a mandatory contribution to the athletics department is quibbling in semantics. 

Student Activity Fee:

All students at the Columbus campus of The Ohio State University are assessed a Student Activity Fee each term to support programs that benefit all students. The fee supports free on-campus entertainment, cultural and arts events, student organizations and clubs, and discounted tickets to sports, arts and cultural events in the Columbus community and throughout Ohio. Approved by the Board of Trustees to support free and discounted programs and opportunities on and around campus for all students. The fee is $37.50 per term. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

According to the Google and OSU's website, all students at OSU pay a $37.50 per semester Student Activity Fee. Part of which goes towards lowering the cost of tickets to sporting events for all students. So you pay a fee in order to buy a cheaper ticket. Saying students don't make a mandatory contribution to the athletics department is quibbling in semantics. 

Student Activity Fee:

All students at the Columbus campus of The Ohio State University are assessed a Student Activity Fee each term to support programs that benefit all students. The fee supports free on-campus entertainment, cultural and arts events, student organizations and clubs, and discounted tickets to sports, arts and cultural events in the Columbus community and throughout Ohio. Approved by the Board of Trustees to support free and discounted programs and opportunities on and around campus for all students. The fee is $37.50 per term. 

Wrong school, but minuscule compared to what a USF student has to pay.  

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Do USF students pay to go to athletic events at all? I never did, just walked in with ID. 

11 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Wrong school, but minuscule compared to what a USF student has to pay.  

For some reason I had OSU in my head when I was looking at the USA today list of college revenue. I think there are about 10 total D1 schools that don't claim any student fees.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

18 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Do USF students pay to go to athletic events at all? I never did, just walked in with ID. 

They pay whether they go, or not.

23 minutes ago, JTrue said:

For some reason I had OSU in my head when I was looking at the USA today list of college revenue. I think there are about 10 total D1 schools that don't claim any student fees.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

According to that listing,  Ohio State claims $0.

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Well as long as our tuition rates are comparable, then I don't think its that big of a deal. If it bothers a potential students that bad that they have to pre pay for athletics they can always go to a different school. Its not like we are even the only institution in town. I don't agree with adding a fee for the stadium though. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

11 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

According to that listing,  Ohio State claims $0.

And you read exactly what is on their website that I posted. Semantics.

52 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And you read exactly what is on their website that I posted. Semantics.

Isn’t it possible you could be interpreting it incorrectly?  The discounted tickets mentioned doesn’t state OSU sports specifically.  Aren’t there other (non-OSU) sports events in Columbus and through out Ohio.  

https://activities.osu.edu/about/student_activity_fee

Does’t USF have a Student Activity Fee, in addition to the Athletic Fee?

Edited by NAS Gone to Paradise