• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looks Like Sun Dome has a Sponsor Name

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

41 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Oh I can assure you I know how to have a good time, but thanks for the "shot". 

Again, we are a college campus where the overwhelming amount of students on campus are underage and what message is this sending is my only point.  Would you be ok if RJR or Philip Morris was the title sponsor?  It's goes deeper than a check to me.  As for the "beggars cant' be choosers" mentality, I hardly think we are begging.  It's about the "brand" of my university.  If you and others don't get it and have a different opinion, I'm cool with it. 

I've not seen a formal announcement yet, so who knows if it will happen or not.  If it does, I'll be a bit surprised knowing Dr. Genshaft and what she stands for along with our administration and leadership.  I know Brian Lamb pretty well also, and again I would be surprised if he is in the approval camp. 

No one could convince me that parents will bring their kids to USF for a college visit and not remark about an alcohol vendor displayed prominently on campus as a title sponsor.  Lest we forget why kids go to USF and why their parents foot the bill and it ain't to play sports.  Selling alcohol at a sporting event is one thing.  Having the logo displayed on one of the core buildings on our campus is another.

I don't care what other universities do.  I care what USF does. 

Go Bulls!

Beer and cigarettes are two completely different things. There is nothing wrong woth beer in moderation. Nobody will claim cigarettes in any form are good for you. There is a reason cigarettes aren't allowed to be advertised directly on tv commercials. Hell some campuses now have beer brewing as a major.

Also, to compare it to a well known firearms manufacturer sponsoring an elementary school is in poor taste as those are 2 completely different issues.

USF is a tobacco free campus (or they at least try to be) your analogy falls flat.

Do you think rational people are angry about taking there kids to a ball game at coors field, Busch Stadium, or Miller Park? Do you also boycott Busch Gardens? Disney sells beer too.

If you don't like beer then you don't have to buy it. I for one am glad to see a local business supporting the University. It's a small step towards getting the Bay to have Green and Gold as their primary colors.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

26 minutes ago, 2000bull said:

i believe it was only one fan

It's only me, correct.  I've been a minority on many, many issues and I'm good with it.  Drink em up baby and include a free beer in the USF Student Welcome packet. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

56 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

No one could convince me that parents will bring their kids to USF for a college visit and not remark about an alcohol vendor displayed prominently on campus as a title sponsor.  Lest we forget why kids go to USF and why their parents foot the bill and it ain't to play sports.  Selling alcohol at a sporting event is one thing.  Having the logo displayed on one of the core buildings on our campus is another.

I can only speak for what my parents would have thought and I don't imagine they would have even noticed it. Then again my dad dropped me off on campus with a 12 - pack on move-in day my Freshman year... Considering the sheer amount of venues worldwide sponsored by beer and alcohol companies I can't imagine many parents would mind as much as you seem to and that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree with every move the university makes, I just don't see the point of making a fuss about a wet campus having a beer companies name on our stadium. Beer and alcohol are a very big part of most students college experiences anyway, may as well profit a little further from it.

I also am of the belief that drinking alcohol is akin to drinking poison and thus I have cut back to maybe once or twice every couple of months outside of football season; however I still personally see nothing wrong with this sponsorship. 

Heck, marijuana is going mainstream.  I can see it now, the Muma School of Business sponsored by Maui Wowie Weed. 

I'm cool with it, get the money baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Opioids are good if used properly.  Only bad when they are abused.  USF Pharm School sponsored by Dilaudid. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

27 minutes ago, ForestBull said:

Do you think rational people are angry about taking there kids to a ball game at coors field, Busch Stadium, or Miller Park? Do you also boycott Busch Gardens? Disney sells beer too.

I've yet to hear of anyone turning down Duke University because of its tobacco ties, either.

Edited by JTrue

All those are professional stadiums and not on college campuses.  

• Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

I did not know this, but....

Yuengling is top craft beer seller in America by sales volume.  Sixth overall according to Brewers Association. 

https://www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/brewers-association-releases-2017-top-50-brewing-companies-by-sales-volume/

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Actually, BA is a gas to hang out with. Hardheaded to be sure, but fun. Next time you're in Philly for a game, look him up.

I agree Yuengling is not the "ideal" sponsor, but not because of the "beer on campus" angle. Two reasons: first it's impossible to pronounce or spell. Corona would have been better. Rolls off the tongue like, well, beer.

But also, because to me, at least, Yuengling screams Pennsylvania-coal-mine-hardhat-lunch-pail-grime-under-the-fingernails. Not that that's a bad thing (I don't drink but I regularly have the grime), but I don't think it's the "aspirational" beer for our students to look forward to after graduation. Something like Michelob, Heineken, or Stella Artois makes more sense for a University on the verge of elite status. Yuengling makes more sense for the Tampa Bay Tech or HCC stadiums.

I'm not a snob, but I think USF is recruiting more snobs today than we did when, for example, I was there.

• Downvote 1

I'll be at the Temple game in November and anyone on this board has the opportunity to hang out with me.  I'm good with all.  Thanks for the endorsement CS. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

23 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Actually, BA is a gas to hang out with. Hardheaded to be sure, but fun. Next time you're in Philly for a game, look him up.

I agree Yuengling is not the "ideal" sponsor, but not because of the "beer on campus" angle. Two reasons: first it's impossible to pronounce or spell. Corona would have been better. Rolls off the tongue like, well, beer.

But also, because to me, at least, Yuengling screams Pennsylvania-coal-mine-hardhat-lunch-pail-grime-under-the-fingernails. Not that that's a bad thing (I don't drink but I regularly have the grime), but I don't think it's the "aspirational" beer for our students to look forward to after graduation. Something like Michelob, Heineken, or Stella Artois makes more sense for a University on the verge of elite status. Yuengling makes more sense for the Tampa Bay Tech or HCC stadiums.

I'm not a snob, but I think USF is recruiting more snobs today than we did when, for example, I was there.

lol @ Michelob being an aspirational beer

• Upvote 1