• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Official Spring Practice Thread

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,529
  • Days Won:  422

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

I think there would have to be a whole lot of "recalibrating" done to determine a future qb is a better qb than QF ... especially if you may not have stats to back it up.

4 hours ago, JTrue said:

Absolutely. But if one of the new guys gets a conference title or two, I'd happily trade that for a few hundred rushing yards.

I guess we maybe should have clarified what a "better qb" actually meant to those making the statement and discuss that... We're just blindly throwing **** up against the wall here.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I guess we maybe should have clarified what a "better qb" actually meant to those making the statement and discuss that... We're just blindly throwing **** up against the wall here.

My guess is it's basically "a more traditional QB" not necessarily a "better QB" considering the school records books basically belong to Flowers at this point.....  Unless you expect the next guy to come in and rewrite the record books.

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

My guess is it's basically "a more traditional QB" not necessarily a "better QB" considering the school records books basically belong to Flowers at this point.....  Unless you expect the next guy to come in and rewrite the record books.

That would make more sense ..... but you never know what thoughts lurk in the minds of some posters.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I think he disagreed with having to cross his fingers ....

This.

I see your point, but... honest to God, in the UCF game and the TTU game I really thought... "uh oh, you guys scored too quick and gave the ball back to Q". With him at the helm, after proving himself, I never felt like I'd rather leave a game up to our defense, or, we were going to need a great kick return to make something happen. I kind of looked at it like... "If Q couldn't win it with the ball in his hands at the end of the game, no one could, so, oh well"

Yes, I hope the overall team gets better and we don't have to be in that situation as often as Q had to carry us, but, it's completely unavoidable. At some point, our QB is going to be in that situation. I am not saying it wasn't stressful, just saying that I always felt like if there was a play to be made in those situations, Q was going to make it. Fingers crossed that we win... yes. Fingers crossed that Q wouldn't screw it up and would make some decent plays? - nope, he did it too many times for us to really have to worry about that. I almost wrote last night that he is/was the most clutch performer that I have ever seen on any level. I'm probably too close to his last couple of games to say that with full conviction though. Still, he is at his best when the pressure is the highest.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

This.

I see your point, but... honest to God, in the UCF game and the TTU game I really thought... "uh oh, you guys scored too quick and gave the ball back to Q". With him at the helm, after proving himself, I never felt like I'd rather leave a game up to our defense, or, we were going to need a great kick return to make something happen. I kind of looked at it like... "If Q couldn't win it with the ball in his hands at the end of the game, no one could, so, oh well"

Yes, I hope the overall team gets better and we don't have to be in that situation as often as Q had to carry us, but, it's completely unavoidable. At some point, our QB is going to be in that situation. I am not saying it wasn't stressful, just saying that I always felt like if there was a play to be made in those situations, Q was going to make it. Fingers crossed that we win... yes. Fingers crossed that Q wouldn't screw it up and would make some decent plays? - nope, he did it too many times for us to really have to worry about that. I almost wrote last night that he is/was the most clutch performer that I have ever seen on any level. I'm probably too close to his last couple of games to say that with full conviction though. Still, he is at his best when the pressure is the highest.

All of this.  

Some people never let go of how he looked before CWT opened up the offense against Cuse in 2015.  They always saw him as a guy who we were winning in spite of instead of because of or at least is a major factor in those W's.    It's bonkers that anyone was thinking anything else but "they gave Q too much time" at the end of that UCF game.  We had the ball on our 44 with two time outs and Q had something like 580yds of total offense at that point (ended with just above 600yds).  Crossing your fingers because you don't trust Q at that point is just plain silly.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

Peyton Manning is probably one of the greatest NFL and college quarterbacks to ever play the game…yet he didn’t win a national title…Tee Martin did. QF is gone, but life goes on and I’m going to bet that Chris O or Kean will bring us even more team success than QF did. I’m excited that for the first time in a decade, our offence will focus more a bunch of players rather than 2 or 3. We have a ton of receivers and tight ends and it’s time we use them. Kean or O may not be QF, but I bet anybody this year than last year.  $100 our passing game will be better, and more receivers will have catches. I also predict an undefeated season.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

36 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

All of this.  

Some people never let go of how he looked before CWT opened up the offense against Cuse in 2015.  They always saw him as a guy who we were winning in spite of instead of because of or at least is a major factor in those W's.    It's bonkers that anyone was thinking anything else but "they gave Q too much time" at the end of that UCF game.  We had the ball on our 44 with two time outs and Q had something like 580yds of total offense at that point (ended with just above 600yds).  Crossing your fingers because you don't trust Q at that point is just plain silly.  

I like the little dig in there about people crossing their fingers because they didn’t trust QF. I don’t remember even hinting at that.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

14 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Peyton Manning is probably one of the greatest NFL and college quarterbacks to ever play the game…yet he didn’t win a national title…Tee Martin did. QF is gone, but life goes on and I’m going to bet that Chris O or Kean will bring us even more team success than QF did. I’m excited that for the first time in a decade, our offence will focus more a bunch of players rather than 2 or 3. We have a ton of receivers and tight ends and it’s time we use them. Kean or O may not be QF, but I bet anybody this year than last year.  $100 our passing game will be better, and more receivers will have catches. I also predict an undefeated season.

You had me until that last point; I just can't get on the USF undefeated train next season(I wasn't on it either of these last two season's either). I've found USF football is much more exciting and palatable with tempered expectations. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

21 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

You had me until that last point; I just can't get on the USF undefeated train next season(I wasn't on it either of these last two season's either). I've found USF football is much more exciting and palatable with tempered expectations. 

I think there was 2 much pressure last year. I think the low expectations will benefit us this year, plus 4 some reason i think our defense will dominate next year

6 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I’m excited that for the first time in a decade, our offence will focus more a bunch of players rather than 2 or 3. We have a ton of receivers and tight ends and it’s time we use them. Kean or O may not be QF, but I bet anybody this year than last year.  $100 our passing game will be better, and more receivers will have catches.

Don't really care how many players the offense focuses on if it produces. If the offense can just match the numbers from last year we should be fine especially if the defense takes another step. 

Edited by Triple B