• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football Complex (IPF) News

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Something Interesting:

Regarding your recent (non-conference) football game contracts: The buyout clauses have been fortified, making it more difficult for schools to opt out of the contracts. Is it more difficult to find Power Five schools who are willing to abide by those kinds of things? Is it tough to find opponents?
"Football scheduling's always been challenging because there are really no rules. There's no real pattern to it. Some schools, the athletic director totally does it. Some schools, the football coach totally does it. Some schools it's a combination of both, which is always how I've operated. So you first have to find someone who has matching dates. And then you've got to find someone who is willing to maybe come to your community or not. … So it's always been a complicated process.

"But to answer your question … our greatest challenge right now at USF to get brand-name opponents is, we're really good. We're really good, and what I have heard from many a school — and some of them are very good friends — is, 'We're trying to find the upside. If we beat you, that means we played an unbelievable game and it was really hard. If we don't beat you, which could be a very good possibility, no one will forgive us for it.' That's our objection. I have lines on both of those that I try to talk people through."

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Something that caught my eye --

You're wrapping up Year 4 here at USF. You signed a five-year contract (in 2014). Have you initiated any talk about an extension? Where does that stand?
"You know, it's funny. I don't think of myself very often in this job. You can't. You've got too many students and too many coaches and too many donors and too many awesome people that you work with. The president (Dr. Judy Genshaft) and I work on a lot different projects, I imagine she and I will be talking about what all the future looks like. But (wife) Carolyn and I are so happy here. I'm so honored by what has happened here, our growth."

What do you think? Will Harlan receive an extension? Has he earned one?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

Something that caught my eye --

What do you think? Will Harlan receive an extension? Has he earned one?

Not a fan of his but in terms of where we are now I think we stay the course. The length of the next contract (probably five years) will mean we think he is our man to push the program to a P5 conference (assuming the discussion starts at about that time).

In terms of scheduling I wish we took the position of anyone, at anytime, in anyplace perspective. You only live once, take them all on all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

47 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

In terms of scheduling I wish we took the position of anyone, at anytime, in anyplace perspective. You only live once, take them all on all the time. 

Go to their house. Take their money. Eat their lunch. Kiss their spouse. Keep doing it year after year. If you don't get the return game you still make the noise that you are as good and better than these P5 teams.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Go to their house. Take their money. Eat their lunch. Kiss their spouse. Keep doing it year after year. If you don't get the return game you still make the noise that you are as good and better than these P5 teams.

Exactly! 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Image result for i drink your milkshake

This is all I could think about when I read this. not sure if it applies but, still a great line. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

100% AGREE!

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I think what he says in the article is that P5 schools don't want to lose to us in our house or theirs.  Even if it's a one and done at their house, there is no upside to play us.  String along a few losing seasons and they'll be lining up to play us.