• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football Complex (IPF) News

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

5 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

In terms of scheduling I wish we took the position of anyone, at anytime, in anyplace perspective. You only live once, take them all on all the time. 

Same problem.  If we went to Florida or Georgia or where ever, we could win even in their house.  They could schedule Tulane instead, or FAU.  Why schedule us when their stadium will be full either way?  Lots of upside for us, zero upside for them.  They don't need to beef up their SOS.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Same problem.  If we went to Florida or Georgia or where ever, we could win even in their house.  They could schedule Tulane instead, or FAU.  Why schedule us when their stadium will be full either way?  Lots of upside for us, zero upside for them.  They don't need to beef up their SOS.

If we are a consistent top 20 team I think there would be many in the P5 (perhaps on the 2nd level) who would look at this as an opportunity to beat a top 20 recognized team. Playing them at home is a plus. This later is most important as I believe there are teams in the 2nd levelof the P5 who would welcome the opportunity in their own stadium. Yes, I support one and done. 

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If we are a consistent top 20 team I think there would be many in the P5 (perhaps on the 2nd level) who would look at this as an opportunity to beat a top 20 recognized team. Playing them at home is a plus. This later is most important as I believe there are teams in the 2nd levelof the P5 who would welcome the opportunity in their own stadium. Yes, I support one and done. 

Nope.  Any member of the P5 can be in the national championship picture by winning in their conference.  They would be beyond stupid to risk playing an OOC game that could screw that up.  

2 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Nope.  Any member of the P5 can be in the national championship picture by winning in their conference.  They would be beyond stupid to risk playing an OOC game that could screw that up.  

Nope. Those in the bottom half of the P5 know they got as much chance as a team in G5. Purdue, Rutgers, California...they know they have no shot. Oh yeah they may have a fluke year here and there but they will have no problem playing YSF.

44 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Nope. Those in the bottom half of the P5 know they got as much chance as a team in G5. Purdue, Rutgers, California...they know they have no shot. Oh yeah they may have a fluke year here and there but they will have no problem playing YSF.

1.  If we beat Rutgers it won't help us anymore than if we beat Memphis.  No much "win" in beating a P5 bottom feeder. 

2.  If Purdue wins the B10 and win out their OOC against FIU they are still in.  Lose to us and they are out no matter if they win the B10.  Really, those teams have even less to gain and even more to lose.

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

1.  If we beat Rutgers it won't help us anymore than if we beat Memphis.  No much "win" in beating a P5 bottom feeder. 

2.  If Purdue wins the B10 and win out their OOC against FIU they are still in.  Lose to us and they are out no matter if they win the B10.  Really, those teams have even less to gain and even more to lose.

Point one: yes you are correct but it is still better than playing San Jose, UMASS, Utah State, etc. in terms of playing Memphis we have to play them regardless. We at least have some control in the OCS schedule. Last, these schedules are so far out in years it is possible that the lower G5 will be having a decent year by the time we play them.

Point Two: I’ll hold to my argument that a team like Purdue does not think in terms of championships (although they might start to change with Frome at coach so I’ll use Rutgers). They may say that is their goal but at the end of the day they know their culture will not be conducive to winning big games (aside from the fluke year). So I think your logic is correct here but I don’t think that is the way all P5 teams think. If it was Illinois, GT, would have never signed with us. 

36 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Point one: yes you are correct but it is still better than playing San Jose, UMASS, Utah State, etc. in terms of playing Memphis we have to play them regardless. We at least have some control in the OCS schedule. Last, these schedules are so far out in years it is possible that the lower G5 will be having a decent year by the time we play them.

Point Two: I’ll hold to my argument that a team like Purdue does not think in terms of championships (although they might start to change with Frome at coach so I’ll use Rutgers). They may say that is their goal but at the end of the day they know their culture will not be conducive to winning big games (aside from the fluke year). So I think your logic is correct here but I don’t think that is the way all P5 teams think. If it was Illinois, GT, would have never signed with us. 

Hopefully it isn't the way all P5 teams think or we never get a game against one.  The problem is that the P5 teams that think they have a chance at a NC are the ones we really need to play, and there is much more for them to lose than to win.  So, again, why play us when you don't need to?  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Kind of like when it was "Why play UCiF if you don't have to?"  And suddenly we started playing them?  With nothing to gain.  Only we'd be so kind.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

6 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Hopefully it isn't the way all P5 teams think or we never get a game against one.  The problem is that the P5 teams that think they have a chance at a NC are the ones we really need to play, and there is much more for them to lose than to win.  So, again, why play us when you don't need to?  

Why do we need to play them? .... unless you're talking about playoffs .... and then nevermind the question.

UGA losing to USF is not nearly as bad if they lost to Rutgers or Vandy...