• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pre-Football Bulls: What was it like for you?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Most people on here are young whippersnappers! :rolleyes:

What was it like for you as a Bull back in the day? How did you get your football fix?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Grew up in a Gator household so that was my football fix until I went to USF.   Now it's blood in blood out USF.  

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

I used to travel up to Gainesville and go to Gator games during growl.  USFs started practicing the year after I graduated. Now I fly the USF flag proudly in front of my home (it is replaced with the Stars and Stripes during the summer). 

Edited by Maryland Bull

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I was always kind of jealous of the football school kids back then. No real loyalty even between uf-FSU I would just pull for the dog.  I remember the homecoming parade being in February and having a homecoming basketball game.   That was just weird.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  135

At the time I was a new father at 21 so USF was a means to an end. I really didn’t care one way or the other. I had bigger priorities.

Football is what brought me back.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

Being from Miami I started off a hurricanes fan.. Then when i got to UF, I noticed a bunch of big dudes in my class and once they all told me who they were. i was curious to see them play so i started watching Gator football. I had classes with Ben Hanks, Fred Taylor,  Jaquez Green, Ike hilliard and a bunch of other cats i can't remember.  1996 was my 2nd year at UF.  A few  of my high school  buddies that I went to North Miami with (where Stanley Clearveuax  another Haitian player is from) tried out for the team and were excited to possibly make the team. i dont remember if any of them did. But I remember saying, "good for USF". lol In 2007 or 2008, I read an article about how 12-14 of the players on USF squad were of Haitian descent or directly from Haiti.  Me being of Haitian descent i was thrilled and playfully called USF the first ever Haitian football team lol I can't lie, I started watching the football games because of that,  and then I started going to the USF blog in ESPN after I would make my Gator blog rounds and the USF blogs were funny as hell. Plus i fell in love with USF football's journey. I kind of stopped watching UF football b/c the fans got too arrogant and entitled. How they treated Ron Zook rubbed me the wrong way. They made a website called "fireronzook.com" and the stuff they said was soooo mean. I felt ashamded to be a Gator fan. I did enjoy the  Tebow era and then when they screwed over Charlie strong for the HC job, I had enough of the Gators and switched to USF football full time.  My advice to those reading this is don't become like certain entitled Gator fans. Stay humble. i'm already starting to see entitlement and expectations at USF so high that you can't simply enjoy the game if things dont go as predicted.  

Edited by Gatorbull325
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

I was a orange and Blue through and through  .  But when USF started play in 1997 my interest in the gators faded away .  Now I can't stand dem dare gaters . Go Bulls

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  141

I go back further than most.  We weren't the Bulls yet.  Our team was the USF Golden Brahmans and basketball was the sport of interest.  There were two fan/social clubs that were regular supporters at all the games.  The Big Green Scream Machine for those that lived in the dorms and the Commuter Rooters for commuters, of course.  Needless to say, there were many more on the latter squad.  As for football, it was about the pros.  We had the Dolphins, and eventually the Buccaneers too. I was and still am a Dolphin fan.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Got my degree from USF in 86 and took a few post graduate classes at UF and grew up a Gator fan going as far back as the Charley Pell NCAA violation days...give em hell Pell lol.  I was huge SOS fan but once USF got football, I wanted in on the ground floor.  I never got a degree from UF and felt those jokers sure didn't need any more of my time or money.  I felt ownership with USF and felt USF needed me more as a fan and alumnus.  I'm a season ticket holder since Kentucky Wesleyan and it's been a hell of a ride these last 20 years.  Looking forward to one day sitting and watching our Bulls, as a P5 member, play in our own OCS with green chair backs and no pirate ships.

Edited by El_Toro_86
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,780
  • Days Won:  3

When I went to USF, it was Drive-Thru-U. Community College 2.0. Bookstore under the oak trees in the dirt lot. True.

Upon arrival on the peninsula, I met all of my wife's friends...who were all either UF alum or rabid fans.

I quickly became a huge FSU fan.

The day USF season tickets went on sale (pick-your-seat) at RayJ, I was in line and picked up a pair. Next year, and for the next seventeen years, I retained four seats, with the only home game I missed being against Southern Miss (we won that game).